Posted to alt.lasers,sci.optics,sci.electronics.repair
Jasper Janssen[_2_] Jasper Janssen[_2_] is offline

Default Recommended USENET newsgroup access

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:45:07 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

OK, a bit off topic but may apply to others at universities as they
upgrade their computer
systems.

So UPenn and Drexel have pulled the plug on their USENET news
servers. I'm looking for recommendations on newsgroup access,
preferably via GNUS, which many consider antiquated, as far as I can
tell, it is 10 times faster to read and post than using the fancy GUI
"modern" alternatives.

From what you're saying, you used to use gnus on a shell server operated
by those universities? I think you're not going to get around running a
local news client, but (on any platform you care to name) that *can* be
gnus/emacs.

Jasper