Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default Odd 7-segment display

Came across a 90's vintage IR controller for printing industry (drives Q-H
lamps for drying ink in the paper path) that uses a single-digit 7-segment
display that looks like a nixie tube (more like a white-hot wire segment)
display. The 16-pin DIP socket is marked IEE-Atlas, and the single-digit
display is marked "IEEFFD21 5DX C". Each digit display is 15 pin on a 16 DIP
pattern.

I've done the requisite Google, but come up with nothing. The drivers on the
PCB are MC14511BPC which is a standard CC LED 7-segment driver.

What are these? They don't look anything like LED segments (I can see each
wire-like segment behind the glass front of each digit's display). Can I just
replace these with a common LED display? Or are replacements available?

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"John E." wrote:

[...]

Incandescent wires? RCA called them Numitrons.

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/nixies2.html

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GWYA,GWYA:2006-31,GWYA:en&q=Numitron

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"John E." wrote:

[...]

Search for: IEE FFD21

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 02:22:46 -0800, John E. wrote:

Came across a 90's vintage IR controller for printing industry (drives Q-H
lamps for drying ink in the paper path) that uses a single-digit 7-segment
display that looks like a nixie tube (more like a white-hot wire segment)
display. The 16-pin DIP socket is marked IEE-Atlas, and the single-digit
display is marked "IEEFFD21 5DX C". Each digit display is 15 pin on a 16 DIP
pattern.

I've done the requisite Google, but come up with nothing. The drivers on the
PCB are MC14511BPC which is a standard CC LED 7-segment driver.

What are these? They don't look anything like LED segments (I can see each
wire-like segment behind the glass front of each digit's display). Can I just
replace these with a common LED display? Or are replacements available?

Once upon a time there were incandescent 7-seg annunciator devices, under
various names. Minitron and RCA's Numitron are two names, but do a google
search on "incandescent" and "7-segment" for heaps of background.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Search for: IEE FFD21

Thanks.

No replacements available.

So, since this uses the MC14511 driver, which was designed for LED 7-segment
displays, all I have to do is provide resistors to each element and rewire
for a common-cathode LED display, right?

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"John E." wrote in message
news.net...

What are these? They don't look anything like LED segments (I can see each
wire-like segment behind the glass front of each digit's display). Can I
just
replace these with a common LED display? Or are replacements available?

Does it heat up? Voltages?

--
..
..

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"rebel" wrote in message
[...]

When I was young and enthusiastic, I built a frequency counter that used
these. I think it was a Practical Wireless design. It's still around
somewhere ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

John E. wrote:
Came across a 90's vintage IR controller for printing industry (drives Q-H
lamps for drying ink in the paper path) that uses a single-digit 7-segment
display that looks like a nixie tube (more like a white-hot wire segment)
display. The 16-pin DIP socket is marked IEE-Atlas, and the single-digit
display is marked "IEEFFD21 5DX C". Each digit display is 15 pin on a 16 DIP
pattern.

I've done the requisite Google, but come up with nothing. The drivers on the
PCB are MC14511BPC which is a standard CC LED 7-segment driver.

What are these? They don't look anything like LED segments (I can see each
wire-like segment behind the glass front of each digit's display). Can I just
replace these with a common LED display? Or are replacements available?

Thanks,

Sounds like a Numitron incandescent filament display. These are getting
very hard to come by.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

James Sweet sez:

Sounds like a Numitron incandescent filament display. These are getting very
hard to come by.

Purchasing LED 7-segment replacements and associated kit (resistors, etc.)
tomorrow to convert to a 21st century technology.
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

So, since this uses the MC14511 driver, which was designed for LED
7-segment
displays, all I have to do is provide resistors to each element and rewire
for a common-cathode LED display, right?

Right.
-- John Fields

A little clarification, please...

I'm all ready to start looking for a CC display, when I look at the data
sheet for MC14511BCP and it has example circuit hookups for both CC and CA.

I thought a driver output was for one or the other "gender", either CC or CA.

Am I reading this right? Can I use either without further need of other
configuration or circuitry? Seems too good to be true...

Thanks,
Dave
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default data sheet here

http://alldatasheet.net/datasheet-pdf/pdf/11982/ONSEMI/MC14512.html
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default oops... it's here

The data sheet is he

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheetpdf/view/11976/ONSEMI/MC14511BCP.html
Due to bug in the data base, the previous link pointed to MC14512...

Thanks,
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Default OK, I get it

A second reading of the ds shows that, indeed, a transistor is needed to use
a CA display with the MC14511.

[gotta stop these early morning designs...]
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

John E. wrote:
A second reading of the ds shows that, indeed, a transistor is needed to use
a CA display with the MC14511.

[gotta stop these early morning designs...]

I would do happier with you if you stopped changing thread
titles.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

I would do happier with you if you stopped changing thread
titles.

Sorry, I didn't know this caused a break in thread. My reader simply inserts
the re-titled post in the same thread, just with another title. I should have
realized that not all reader apps behave the same.

Sincere apologies. Will avoid temptation in future.
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"John E." wrote in message
news.net...

I would do happier with you if you stopped changing thread
titles.

Sorry, I didn't know this caused a break in thread. My reader simply
inserts
the re-titled post in the same thread, just with another title. I should
have
realized that not all reader apps behave the same.

Most readers use the message ID and work correctly.

--
..
..

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

John E. wrote:
I would do happier with you if you stopped changing thread
titles.

Sorry, I didn't know this caused a break in thread. My reader simply inserts
the re-titled post in the same thread, just with another title. I should have
realized that not all reader apps behave the same.

Sincere apologies. Will avoid temptation in future.

I appreciate it. It is not so much a problem with broken
threads, for me, as much as it is that I remember the thread
title of threads I have been reading. When you change the
thread title, I have to go back and review earlier messages
to remember what subject we are talking about.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

In article B2RAh.12551$Yn4.2012@trnddc03,
James Sweet writes:

Sounds like a Numitron incandescent filament display. These are getting
very hard to come by.

They used to be popular in petrol pumps in the UK (they are
readable in quite bright sunlight).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 01:21:33 -0800, John E.
wrote:

So, since this uses the MC14511 driver, which was designed for LED
7-segment
displays, all I have to do is provide resistors to each element and rewire
for a common-cathode LED display, right?

Right.
-- John Fields

A little clarification, please...

I'm all ready to start looking for a CC display, when I look at the data
sheet for MC14511BCP and it has example circuit hookups for both CC and CA.

I thought a driver output was for one or the other "gender", either CC or CA.

Am I reading this right? Can I use either without further need of other
configuration or circuitry? Seems too good to be true...

---
It is. [too good to be true]

The device, by itself, is designed to drive a common cathode display
as shown in the upper left hand corner on page 6 of this data sheet:

http://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MC14511B-D.PDF

Immediately across the page from it is the common anode
configuration, which requires an additional transistor and resistor
_per segment_ .

--
JF

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 14:46:22 -0500, John Popelish wrote:
John E. wrote:
I would do happier with you if you stopped changing thread
titles.

Sorry, I didn't know this caused a break in thread. My reader simply inserts
the re-titled post in the same thread, just with another title. I should have
realized that not all reader apps behave the same.

Sincere apologies. Will avoid temptation in future.

I appreciate it. It is not so much a problem with broken
threads, for me, as much as it is that I remember the thread
title of threads I have been reading. When you change the
thread title, I have to go back and review earlier messages
to remember what subject we are talking about.

I've been known to do that on occasion, but when I do I always put
new subject WAS: old subject - it might not help with threading,
(my reader also threads messages based on the thread rather than
the title), but at least you'd know what the previous parts were
about.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

wrote:

[...]

Ahh, yes, -when I was about 14 years old I built a digital clock out of
TTL devices from a Popular Electronics plan, which would have featured
Numitrons as the display elements. I made what must have been the
ugliest printed circuit board ever - my school class used the Mactac and
hobby knife approach for making PCBs, which gave incredibly crude
results. Sadly, my troubleshooting skills were not up to overcoming my
crude construction technique and I never got the darn thing to work - it
wasn't until years later I found out the key difference between the 7447
display driver and the 7448 that the fellow at the electronics
wholesaler sold me.

I may still have the Numitrons sitting in the basement somewhere..

Bill

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

John Popelish sez:

I appreciate it.

And I, appreciating your many contributions to posted questions, will
endeavour to make my questions as memorable (in a good way) as possible (c:

It is not so much a problem with broken
threads, for me, as much as it is that I remember the thread
title of threads I have been reading. When you change the
thread title, I have to go back and review earlier messages
to remember what subject we are talking about.

Eminently logical.
--
John English

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

John E. wrote:
John Popelish sez:

I appreciate it.

And I, appreciating your many contributions to posted questions, will
endeavour to make my questions as memorable (in a good way) as possible (c:

It is not so much a problem with broken
threads, for me, as much as it is that I remember the thread
title of threads I have been reading. When you change the
thread title, I have to go back and review earlier messages
to remember what subject we are talking about.

Eminently logical.

This conversation has been such a nice change from the flame
wars I see here, so often. And it is a pleasant experience
to finally meet a Vulcan. ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:37:01 -0500, John Popelish
Gave us:

John E. wrote:
John Popelish sez:

I appreciate it.

And I, appreciating your many contributions to posted questions, will
endeavour to make my questions as memorable (in a good way) as possible (c:

It is not so much a problem with broken
threads, for me, as much as it is that I remember the thread
title of threads I have been reading. When you change the
thread title, I have to go back and review earlier messages
to remember what subject we are talking about.

Eminently logical.

This conversation has been such a nice change from the flame
wars I see here, so often. And it is a pleasant experience
to finally meet a Vulcan. ;-)

Yeah! So there!!!

I guess I'm a Vulgan ;-]

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Bill Shymanski wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you should try to get the thing working now that you're armed
with more knowledge? If you find the Numitrons and would like to get rid
of them I'd happily give you something for a set. I build clocks using
odd old display devices.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

John Popelish wrote:

John E. wrote:
John Popelish sez:

I appreciate it.

And I, appreciating your many contributions to posted questions, will
endeavour to make my questions as memorable (in a good way) as possible
(c:

It is not so much a problem with broken
threads, for me, as much as it is that I remember the thread
title of threads I have been reading. When you change the
thread title, I have to go back and review earlier messages
to remember what subject we are talking about.

Eminently logical.

This conversation has been such a nice change from the flame
wars I see here, so often. And it is a pleasant experience
to finally meet a Vulcan. ;-)

Actually i would not credit the curse wars that pass for flame wars
currently. Really proper flaming requires proper cited backup. But i got
spoiled in the early 1980's when usenet was not full cry baby, bull
****ter, wannabees.

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

James Sweet wrote:

Perhaps you should try to get the thing working now that you're armed
with more knowledge? If you find the Numitrons and would like to get
rid of them I'd happily give you something for a set. I build clocks
using odd old display devices.

Do you have a web site or a link to some pictures? I collect clocks,
watches and all things horological and am also interested in constructing
unusual time pieces.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

In article .net,
John E. wrote:
So, since this uses the MC14511 driver, which was designed for LED
7-segment displays, all I have to do is provide resistors to each
element and rewire for a common-cathode LED display, right?

Most drivers for LED displays (CA3161 etc) have the resistors built in for
direct connection. But you should check the data sheet for your particular
one.

--
*Forget the Joneses, I keep us up with the Simpsons.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

Anthony Fremont wrote:
James Sweet wrote:

Perhaps you should try to get the thing working now that you're armed
with more knowledge? If you find the Numitrons and would like to get
rid of them I'd happily give you something for a set. I build clocks
using odd old display devices.

Do you have a web site or a link to some pictures? I collect clocks,
watches and all things horological and am also interested in constructing
unusual time pieces.

I don't, but if you do a search for nixie clock gallery you can find
pictures of all sorts built by other people.

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

James Sweet wrote:
Anthony Fremont wrote:

Do you have a web site or a link to some pictures? I collect clocks,
watches and all things horological and am also interested in
constructing unusual time pieces.

I don't, but if you do a search for nixie clock gallery you can find
pictures of all sorts built by other people.

Since I dug my PIC stuff back out the other day, I've been tinkering around
with something I've wanted to do for a while. It's sort of a variation on
the propellor clock but with a pendulum, so back and forth not around. I'm
able to strobe out messages on a column of LEDs, but I'm not sure a pendulum
(even a short one) is going to swing fast enough to give a very readable
display. I may have to switch to a ceiling fan version. ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

..

Since I dug my PIC stuff back out the other day, I've been tinkering around
with something I've wanted to do for a while. It's sort of a variation on
the propellor clock but with a pendulum, so back and forth not around. I'm
able to strobe out messages on a column of LEDs, but I'm not sure a pendulum
(even a short one) is going to swing fast enough to give a very readable
display. I may have to switch to a ceiling fan version. ;-)

It works if the size is small, you can buy these ready made at Target
and similar stores. They use an electromagnet to oscillate the pendulum
which is about 6" long and very light weight.
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

On 2007-02-24, Anthony Fremont wrote:

Since I dug my PIC stuff back out the other day, I've been tinkering around
with something I've wanted to do for a while. It's sort of a variation on
the propellor clock but with a pendulum, so back and forth not around. I'm
able to strobe out messages on a column of LEDs, but I'm not sure a pendulum
(even a short one) is going to swing fast enough to give a very readable
display. I may have to switch to a ceiling fan version. ;-)

if the pendulum is short enough (about 1" to centre of mass) it should
swing fast enough with gravity alone

Bye.
Jasen
Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical

"John E." wrote:

[...]

Incandescent, but not Numitron ... I think. ISTR that Numitron displays were
packaged in glass envelopes, like the Nixie or your garden variety "valve"
(tipping my hat to Brits), and were designed to stand upright. Your device, on
the other hand, is 16-pin DIP.

I have a handfull of these things, purchased new circa 1972 from a small "TTL
chips and stuff" mail order company in Missouri (if memory serves) for use in
the second digital clock I had designed. (First clock used Nixies) Nixies
turned out to be way too bright though, and there were no inexpensive 7-segment
LEDs back then. The incandescent wires drew a low of current, and 6 displays
required a robust p.s., so I replaced these displays with LEDs as soon as the
latter became available.

The incandescent displays I have are not marked with a manufacturer's name, just
"8-43-19" silk-screened in white paint on one side of the black case.

what is the best way to go about fixing a bad LCD led segment Eric Lada Electronics Repair 3 January 4th 06 06:50 PM
Segment turning Art Ransom Woodturning 6 December 4th 05 04:54 PM
DIY - Small Segment Jig Greg G. Woodturning 24 November 30th 05 02:14 AM
DIY - Small Segment Jig Greg G. Woodworking 6 November 28th 05 08:06 PM
Wood Turnings with stone segment and Visa Versa Robert Morgan Woodturning 1 February 26th 05 05:17 PM