Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Odd 7-segment display

"rebel" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 02:22:46 -0800, John E. wrote:

Came across a 90's vintage IR controller for printing industry (drives Q-H
lamps for drying ink in the paper path) that uses a single-digit 7-segment
display that looks like a nixie tube (more like a white-hot wire segment)
display. The 16-pin DIP socket is marked IEE-Atlas, and the single-digit
display is marked "IEEFFD21 5DX C". Each digit display is 15 pin on a 16
DIP
pattern.

I've done the requisite Google, but come up with nothing. The drivers on
the
PCB are MC14511BPC which is a standard CC LED 7-segment driver.

What are these? They don't look anything like LED segments (I can see each
wire-like segment behind the glass front of each digit's display). Can I
just
replace these with a common LED display? Or are replacements available?

Once upon a time there were incandescent 7-seg annunciator devices, under
various names. Minitron and RCA's Numitron are two names, but do a google
search on "incandescent" and "7-segment" for heaps of background.

When I was young and enthusiastic, I built a frequency counter that used
these. I think it was a Practical Wireless design. It's still around
somewhere ...

Arfa