Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Art Ransom

Default Segment turning

My latest segmented turning
http://turningaround.org/31inColumnBases.htm
--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Greg G.

Art Ransom said:

My latest segmented turning
http://turningaround.org/31inColumnBases.htm

Hey, Art - Those are the biggest and nicest looking segmented turnings
I've seen. And here I was, expecting a weed pot. g

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom

Beautiful work, but may we see a better pic of the outrigger? I'd like
to get some ideas as to how you'd done the engineering. Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller

Art Ransom wrote:
My latest segmented turning
http://turningaround.org/31inColumnBases.htm

Whoa mama! Those bowls gonna hold a lotta soup! g

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
jd

Default Segment turning WOW!

Wow Art, thats pretty amazing stuff.

Gotta question though:

It looks like you through bolted the plywood plate the lathe faceplate. I've
been using a similar method, but I always get the willies when I'm turning
something big with such a small connection point to the lathe. Enough so
that I've actually been considering prying open the wallet and buying a few
larger faceplates....

I guess my question (and this is for the whole group) is: from a practical
approach, is there really any reason to go with a bigger metal faceplate, or
is the strength provided by the little one being mounted to a decent hunk
of stock good enough?

thanks
-_JD

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
Art Ransom wrote:
My latest segmented turning
http://turningaround.org/31inColumnBases.htm

Whoa mama! Those bowls gonna hold a lotta soup! g

...Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska
Registered Linux User No: 307357

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tonto

Art,
I sent a copy of your segmented turning picture to Jim Driskell. He is
"Wood N Things" buffing systems and also an instructor of segmented turning,
advanced level, at Cerritos Community College. I thought they might enjoy
your turning. Looks Great.

Don Pencil

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
news

My latest segmented turning
http://turningaround.org/31inColumnBases.htm
--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:45:42 -0500, "jd" wrote:

It looks like you through bolted the plywood plate the lathe faceplate. I've
been using a similar method, but I always get the willies when I'm turning
something big with such a small connection point to the lathe. Enough so
that I've actually been considering prying open the wallet and buying a few
larger faceplates....

You should read Kurt Schreckling's book on how to build your own gas
turbine (jet) engine. He recommends plywood as the core material for
the compressor stage! Now that is a _lot_ of rpm.