Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Where to order Bob Parker ESR meter from USA

I live in Florida and was wondering where the best place to order the Bob
Parker ESR meter is. Will shipping take a long time from Australia? I've
never had fast shipping from Canada so I don't know if I want to pay more to
buy it from www.flippers.com . It is about $10 cheaper from Dick Smith
directly.

Does anybody else sell this kit?

- Mike

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
I live in Florida and was wondering where the best place to order the Bob
Parker ESR meter is. Will shipping take a long time from Australia? I've never
had fast shipping from Canada so I don't know if I want to pay more to buy it
from www.flippers.com . It is about $10 cheaper from Dick Smith directly.

Does anybody else sell this kit?

- Mike

I also live in Florida, and have a Bob Parker ESR meter. Bought it from John's
Jukes (flippers) several years ago. I don't remember how long the shipping
took, but I don't remember it being excessive. I'd expect that delivery from
Australia would take somewhat longer than from Canada. Haven't a clue as to how
much longer though.
If delivery time is that important, why don't you send an email to each vendor
and ask about the shipping. Waiting for an intelligent reply might take longer
than you want, so I guess it's a toss-up.
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.
If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?
Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.
One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.
They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
K `Sleep

As a Canadian EBayer...Canada Post sucks, but that's because the border
holds packages for inspection for so long, when tracking a parcel...I've
seen my poor little parcels stuck at the border for up to 2WEEKS...which is
INSANE!
I have purchased and sold from/to Australia, and unless you wish to pay a
freakishly large amount for air postage, then you are stuck with shipping by
boat...which can take up to a month...or MORE. I sold a item to a Aussie for
35.00(us$), and shipping via air was 75.00, and boat was 58.00(can$).
Air shipping wasn't screamingly fast either, as I was quoted 2 weeks...or
more, for it.
Buying a item was SLOW...as I wanted shipping by boat...which took 2
MONTHS!. Shipping by boat also means NO TRACKING is available!.
I'm certain the seller can give you approximate shipping times...but you
better not be in too much a hurry.

"DaveM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
K `Sleep

Or you can try a US product:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUL-3333-IN-CIRC...QQcmdZViewItem

"DaveM" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

"DaveM" wrote in message
[...]

I used Googgle to find a UK vendor that claims to have 10 day international air
delivery. E-Leader at http://www.monitortest.net/

From their web site...
Build the kits by yourself and save money: *** US$66.85 ***
Factory assembled and tested only US$83.95
Shipment and insurance for overseas sales is US$15.95 (overseas delivery is by
air and usually takes less than ten days).
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

If a mute swears using sign language, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson

"DaveM" wrote in message
[...]

From their web site...
Build the kits by yourself and save money: *** US$66.85 ***
Factory assembled and tested only US$83.95
Shipment and insurance for overseas sales is US$15.95 (overseas
delivery is by air and usually takes less than ten days).

Ah, our shipping is $12US and we also include a MOV to protect against
charged capacitors... and it is the same - Postal Air - which is
anything from a few days to 2 weeks (very rare) to the US depending on
US Customs.

John :-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

DaveM wrote:

I also live in Florida, and have a Bob Parker ESR meter.

I'd expect that delivery from Australia would take somewhat
longer than from Canada.

2 years ago it took 11 days from Australia, and the total charge was
under $50. Very good kit and instructions (I made 1 mistake - wrong
resistor, and the instructions mentioned my exact error), but I didn't
like the solder included.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

Hi,
Last I heard, E-Leader (Monitortest) is down here in Australia.
Based on feedback I get from time to time, I'd suggest that your
last choice should be to order from Dick Smith Electronics directly.
100% of the customer comments I've heard about John's Jukes and his
mail order (& after sales) service have been overwhelmingly positive.
I've also only heard good things about E-Leader. I can't honestly say
that about Dick Smith's though.

Regards
Bob

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:28:13 -0400, "DaveM"

I used Googgle to find a UK vendor that claims to have 10 day international air
delivery. E-Leader at http://www.monitortest.net/

From their web site...
Build the kits by yourself and save money: *** US$66.85 ***
Factory assembled and tested only US$83.95
Shipment and insurance for overseas sales is US$15.95 (overseas delivery is by
air and usually takes less than ten days).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM

"Bob Parker" wrote in message
Hi,
Last I heard, E-Leader (Monitortest) is down here in Australia.
Based on feedback I get from time to time, I'd suggest that your
last choice should be to order from Dick Smith Electronics directly.
100% of the customer comments I've heard about John's Jukes and his
mail order (& after sales) service have been overwhelmingly positive.
I've also only heard good things about E-Leader. I can't honestly say
that about Dick Smith's though.

Regards
Bob

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 19:28:13 -0400, "DaveM"

I used Googgle to find a UK vendor that claims to have 10 day international
air
delivery. E-Leader at http://www.monitortest.net/

From their web site...
Build the kits by yourself and save money: *** US$66.85 ***
Factory assembled and tested only US$83.95
Shipment and insurance for overseas sales is US$15.95 (overseas delivery is by
air and usually takes less than ten days).

Thanks for that, Bob. I bought my copy of the DSE ESR meter from John's Jukes
several years ago. As I said before, I don't remember that there was any
trouble with long delivery time from them, and when I need to buy another unit,
I won't hesitate to buy from them again.

Since the OP was looking for other sources, I posted what I found. It's
ultimately his decision.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the
address)

Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
DaveM wrote:
Thanks for that, Bob. I bought my copy of the DSE ESR meter from John's
Jukes several years ago. As I said before, I don't remember that there
was any trouble with long delivery time from them, and when I need to
buy another unit, I won't hesitate to buy from them again.

Bought one a few months ago from John's Jukes online. Arrived in the UK
some two weeks later - and no duty to pay. Easy to build and worked first
time. Excellent unit.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
budgie wrote:
My first rule for kits is to chuck away the included solder. Invariably
poor quality and usually too thick for my liking. My DSE/Bob_Parker ESR
meter kit was no exception.

Including solder suggests it's ok for a first time constructor. I'd say
it's not. ;-)

--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

On Tue, 02 May 2006 09:41:44 +0800, budgie wrote:

My first rule for kits is to chuck away the included solder. Invariably poor
quality and usually too thick for my liking. My DSE/Bob_Parker ESR meter kit
was no exception.

I thought I'd educated DSE about the solder years ago, but
apparently they've gone back to including the thick stuff.
I agree- use your own decent quality thin solder and keep the
solder in the kit for drainpipes and other heavy-duty applications!

Regards
Bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson

On 2006-05-02 07:06:26 -0700, Bob Parker said:

On Tue, 02 May 2006 09:41:44 +0800, budgie wrote:

My first rule for kits is to chuck away the included solder. Invariably poor
quality and usually too thick for my liking. My DSE/Bob_Parker ESR meter kit
was no exception.

I thought I'd educated DSE about the solder years ago, but
apparently they've gone back to including the thick stuff.
I agree- use your own decent quality thin solder and keep the
solder in the kit for drainpipes and other heavy-duty applications!

Regards
Bob

Hmmm, should we mention the quality of the 'free' probes?

John ;-#)#
--
(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup) John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9 Call
www.flippers.com "Old pinballers never die, they
just flip out."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bob Parker

I don't think it would be wise to push your luck too far. They've
already discontinued the FBT/LOPT tester in New Zealand and there are
noises to the effect that it'll happen in Australia = exports
world-wide before that much longer.
The bean counters who run DSE might decide that the ESR meter
deserves the same fate....

Bob

On Wed, 03 May 2006 05:48:48 GMT, John Robertson
wrote:

Hmmm, should we mention the quality of the 'free' probes?

John ;-#)#

electricity meter tails - length and routing Grov UK diy 12 April 3rd 06 09:51 PM
Magnetized meter Mike Muderick Electronics Repair 21 February 28th 06 02:19 AM
re-siting gas meter :\) UK diy 5 February 22nd 06 11:07 AM
Gas meter stopper [email protected] UK diy 4 February 21st 06 11:50 PM
New gas meter comes, old boiler fired. Adrian C UK diy 63 August 16th 05 10:37 AM