Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Windows XP Strikes Again - ErrorMsg.jpg

Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Attached Thumbnails
Windows XP Strikes Again - ErrorMsg.jpg-errormsg-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

I always turn off automatic updates...mother Microsoft does not know what is
best.
I manually select what is necessary.

What happens in safe mode?

Run from a command prompt, 'SFC /scannow'. This will require the master CD.
The command verifies the critical files against the CD.

Increase the swap file size in control panel, system, advanced, performance,
settings
advances, virtual memory.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:42:59 -0700, Jim Thompson
Gave us:

Search the web for HHCTRL.OCX and see what installed app you have
that it is associated with.

If you have KFd me... too bad for you.

OR it is Billy's way of nudging you toward that Vista Ultimate
Upgrade, which also needs 2GB RAM, and a 256MB graphics card...

Mine:

EVGA 8800 GTS w/320MB

old X2 64 AMD 3800+ @ 2.1GHz

2GB ECC RAM Dual Channel mode

AN8-SLI Deluxe Asus Mobo.

She screams and I have what is considered an old Mobo Cpu combo.

The graphics card is what really helped. My old 128 PNY 6600 GT
just wasn't enough, and screen flicked out and back with every app or
web page w/video.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

Try this...

Rename HHCTRL.OCX to something else (say OLD_HHCTRL.OCX). Now see what
application(s) crashes.

That's the bad one (or one of them).

Another fix is to download a new copy of HHCTRL.OCX from MSFT. I think
it can be gotten through them. If not then there are a few places on
the web that also have it.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim,
If you want to capture only the active window, do a ALT PrintScreen. Then
you don't get the entire desktop.

Have you also tried posting to one of the windows discussion groups? They
are accessed by account news:news.microsoft.com
The discussion groups are sometimes available on other servers but I found
that I got the best responses by setting up a newsreader account directly to
news.microsoft.com

....Bob Oppenheimer

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

wrote:

Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

Try this...

Rename HHCTRL.OCX to something else (say OLD_HHCTRL.OCX). Now see what
application(s) crashes.

That's the bad one (or one of them).

Another fix is to download a new copy of HHCTRL.OCX from MSFT. I think
it can be gotten through them. If not then there are a few places on
the web that also have it.

You could also go over to www.distrowatch.com and read about some of the
alternatives to Windows. Many recent Linux distributions are available in
"live CD" form, which allows you to test-drive them without writing
anything to your hard disk; just download the ISO CD image, burn it to a
CD-R, and reboot. If you don't have a Broadcom (May hogs root up their
bones!) WiFi chip, everything will probably Just Work. You should already
be browsing with Firefox or Opera instead of Microsoft Malware Magnet, and
there are open-source workalikes for all of the common office stuff.
There are still some applications that are only available for Windows and
the Mac, mostly games and high-end graphics stuff (though the GNU Image
Manipulation Program does most of what Photoshop does), and you can
dual-boot.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Jim Thompson wrote:

Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

I have not looked at any other replies.
Did you google for hhctrl.ocx? If not shame on you. The basic answer is
right there on the first page of results. It is yet another M$ internal
inconsistency. Update hhctrl.ocx and let us know if this helps.
--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

Jim,
If you want to capture only the active window, do a ALT PrintScreen. Then
you don't get the entire desktop.

Have you also tried posting to one of the windows discussion groups? They
are accessed by account news:news.microsoft.com
The discussion groups are sometimes available on other servers but I found
that I got the best responses by setting up a newsreader account directly
to news.microsoft.com

What the hell do you think you mean by having "an account" to a USENET news
server? It is completely public access; kind of like an RSS feed. One
"subscribes" to it and absolutely NO provider has any control or even
notification of your "subscription" as such, it resides entirely on the
accessing computer.

...Bob Oppenheimer

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

--
JosephKK
Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.Â*Â*
--Schiller
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

joseph2k wrote:
Oppie wrote:

Jim,
If you want to capture only the active window, do a ALT PrintScreen. Then
you don't get the entire desktop.

Have you also tried posting to one of the windows discussion groups? They
are accessed by account news:news.microsoft.com
The discussion groups are sometimes available on other servers but I found
that I got the best responses by setting up a newsreader account directly
to news.microsoft.com

What the hell do you think you mean by having "an account" to a USENET news
server? It is completely public access; kind of like an RSS feed. One
"subscribes" to it and absolutely NO provider has any control or even
notification of your "subscription" as such, it resides entirely on the
accessing computer.

Well, no it isn't. The usenet is out there, but to the best of my knowledge
you need an isp to access it. The isp keeps whichever groups it feels like
archiving on its own servers.... and you need an account to access that
server.

If you know of a way to get the raw feeds, I surely would like to know
about it.

-Chuck
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 12:56:35 GMT, joseph2k
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

I have not looked at any other replies.
Did you google for hhctrl.ocx? If not shame on you. The basic answer is
right there on the first page of results. It is yet another M$ internal
inconsistency. Update hhctrl.ocx and let us know if this helps.

About an hour after the original post I found a patch on the M$ site.
I guess you missed my follow-up post.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

joseph2k wrote:

Oppie wrote:

Jim,
If you want to capture only the active window, do a ALT PrintScreen. Then
you don't get the entire desktop.

Have you also tried posting to one of the windows discussion groups? They
are accessed by account news:news.microsoft.com
The discussion groups are sometimes available on other servers but I found
that I got the best responses by setting up a newsreader account directly
to news.microsoft.com

What the hell do you think you mean by having "an account" to a USENET news
server? It is completely public access; kind of like an RSS feed. One
"subscribes" to it and absolutely NO provider has any control or even
notification of your "subscription" as such, it resides entirely on the
accessing computer.

Well, according to your headers you have an USENET account with
Prodigy, and use newssvr27.news.prodigy.net as your USENET server. Look
at someone else's headers and try to use their news server. For
instance: news.earthlink.net will ask for a user name, a pass word.
After those are verified, it checks your IP address to make sure you are
within the Earthlink network. If all three don't pass, you can't use
their servers.

newsspool1.news.pas.earthlink.net!stamper.news.pas .earthlink.net!stamper.news.atl.earthlink.net!elnk-atl-nf2!newsfeed.earthlink.net!nx02.iad01.newshosting. com!newshosting.com!204.127.204.224.MISMATCH!wns14 feed!worldnet.att.net!204.71.34.3!newsfeed.cwix.co m!newscon02.news.prodigy.net!prodigy.net!newsdst01 .news.prodigy.net!prodigy.com!postmaster.news.prod igy.com!newssvr27.news.prodigy.net.POSTED!78bb86ef !not-for-mail
From:
joseph2k
Subject:
Windows XP Strikes Again - ErrorMsg.jpg