Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Stephen J. Rush Stephen J. Rush is offline

Default Windows XP Strikes Again - ErrorMsg.jpg

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 08:54:00 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:42:59 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Did an automatic "update" for Windows XP, re-booted, and got this
error message (see attachment).

Surfing, I get that it's some kind of help file, but I can't determine
what program is involved, or whether it's just Wimpows turning in the
screw a little further.

So far I haven't found any misbehavior.

Any ideas?

...Jim Thompson

Try this...

Rename HHCTRL.OCX to something else (say OLD_HHCTRL.OCX). Now see what
application(s) crashes.

That's the bad one (or one of them).

Another fix is to download a new copy of HHCTRL.OCX from MSFT. I think
it can be gotten through them. If not then there are a few places on
the web that also have it.

You could also go over to www.distrowatch.com and read about some of the
alternatives to Windows. Many recent Linux distributions are available in
"live CD" form, which allows you to test-drive them without writing
anything to your hard disk; just download the ISO CD image, burn it to a
CD-R, and reboot. If you don't have a Broadcom (May hogs root up their
bones!) WiFi chip, everything will probably Just Work. You should already
be browsing with Firefox or Opera instead of Microsoft Malware Magnet, and
there are open-source workalikes for all of the common office stuff.
There are still some applications that are only available for Windows and
the Mac, mostly games and high-end graphics stuff (though the GNU Image
Manipulation Program does most of what Photoshop does), and you can
dual-boot.