Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lead Paint

The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's
toys painted with lead paint. (Not to mention other gaffs such as
tooth paste, tires et al). Since our NG is well aware of all the
wood working tools which are also imported from China, does any one
see a potential hazard to the users, I realize that adults use these
tools and aren't likely to ingest the coatings. Just though some in
the group might have a thought on the matter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 9:33 am, GROVER wrote:
The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's
toys painted with lead paint. (Not to mention other gaffs such as
tooth paste, tires et al). Since our NG is well aware of all the
wood working tools which are also imported from China, does any one
see a potential hazard to the users, I realize that adults use these
tools and aren't likely to ingest the coatings. Just though some in
the group might have a thought on the matter.

Not just China. My LIE-NIELSEN low angle block plane came with a
warning on lead in the
product. I know brass many times has lead in it. I was surprised their
bronze had it as well?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 10:33 am, GROVER wrote:
The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's
toys painted with lead paint. (Not to mention other gaffs such as
tooth paste, tires et al). Since our NG is well aware of all the
wood working tools which are also imported from China, does any one
see a potential hazard to the users, I realize that adults use these
tools and aren't likely to ingest the coatings. Just though some in
the group might have a thought on the matter.

I don't see it as a problem with regard to woodworking tools. Lead
paint has a slightly sweet taste which appeals to children. That's why
kids chewed pencils back in the day. While toys might find their way
to little mouths, it's not likely a jointer will. And if a kid starts
chewing on a cabinet saw, then the negligent party isn't the
manufacturer....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 9:33 am, GROVER wrote:
The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's
toys painted with lead paint. (Not to mention other gaffs such as
tooth paste, tires et al). Since our NG is well aware of all the
wood working tools which are also imported from China, does any one
see a potential hazard to the users, I realize that adults use these
tools and aren't likely to ingest the coatings. Just though some in
the group might have a thought on the matter.

You're kidding, Right??

I already can't sleep at night because I'm so worried about global
warming. Unless the volcano under Yellowstone erupts, which would
lead to a global winter, which would lead to global starvation.
Unless we get hit by an asteroid, which would at least be quick and
painless.

You know the North Koreans will surely destroy the world if they ever
get nuclear capability, unless the Arabs beat them to it.

When I was a kid, I worried because the Gulf of Mexico was filling up
at an alarming rate, but now I'm worried because the coastline is
receding, and this is supposed to be a big hurricane year, and we
haven't even recovered from Katrina yet.

I'm afraid to go anywhere because all the bridges in the entire world
are on the verge of collapse. They just lost another one in China
yesterday.

And I'm afraid to stay home because the air in my Katrina Trailer is
poisoned and FEMA knew about it all along, but sent them on anyway.
And I can't go outside because I might get bit by a mosquito and catch
West Nile disease. Six people in my state have died already this
year.

I was already afraid to go out to my shop because of the hazzards of
breathing wood dust. But I can't turn on my dust collector because of
static electricity explosions. Then there's table saw kickbacks or
exploding PVC air lines to worry about.

I'm afraid to eat because the fruits and vegetables are all
contaminated with pesticides or they have been genetically altered so
my kids might have three heads. And the meat is suspect because of
mad cow disease or the stuff they feed the animals. The water isn't
safe to drink either. Just read the papers.

Now you want me to worry because some toys made in China were found to
have lead in their paint and some chisels are made in China and they
have paint on them too. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the energy
to worry about anything else right now. In fact, I'm so worried
already it will take three cigarettes and a six pack to calm me down.

DonkeyHody
" We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits
down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now you want me to worry because some toys made in China were found to
have lead in their paint and some chisels are made in China and they
have paint on them too. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the energy
to worry about anything else right now. In fact, I'm so worried
already it will take three cigarettes and a six pack to calm me down.

Oh, don't worry about it - just lick the paint on some of your power
tools. That always calms me down. Mmmm... Lead....
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote:
In fact, I'm so worried
already it will take three cigarettes and a six pack to calm me

down.

Touche.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

I already can't sleep at night because I'm so worried about global
warming. Unless the volcano under Yellowstone erupts, which would
lead to a global winter, which would lead to global starvation.
Unless we get hit by an asteroid, which would at least be quick and
painless.

You know the North Koreans will surely destroy the world if they ever
get nuclear capability, unless the Arabs beat them to it.

You missed the big one.
A volcano off the coast of Europe is about to collapse and slide into the
ocean.
It is put a 100' tsunami across the entire US East coast.

(some think it may collapse in several stages, none of which will give a
killer tsunami; we can only wait and see.)

Oh, and pneumonic AIDS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
And I'm afraid to stay home because the air in my Katrina Trailer is
poisoned and FEMA knew about it all along, but sent them on anyway.

Whine, whine, whine. In my area we have Radon in the basement. The dog
sleeps in the basement and glows in the dark now and the light keeps me
awake at night.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 12:58 pm, Jeff wrote:
On Aug 15, 10:33 am, GROVER wrote:

The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's
toys painted with lead paint. (Not to mention other gaffs such as
tooth paste, tires et al). Since our NG is well aware of all the
wood working tools which are also imported from China, does any one
see a potential hazard to the users, I realize that adults use these
tools and aren't likely to ingest the coatings. Just though some in
the group might have a thought on the matter.

I don't see it as a problem with regard to woodworking tools. Lead
paint has a slightly sweet taste which appeals to children. That's why
kids chewed pencils back in the day. While toys might find their way
to little mouths, it's not likely a jointer will. And if a kid starts
chewing on a cabinet saw, then the negligent party isn't the
manufacturer....

That's the first I've heard of the sweet taste. We were always told
that kids chew on ANYTHING at certain ages, which could mean baseboard
or various other bits of molding, toys or whatever. The fact is, too,
that the kids have brains in the process of formation, and are far
more susceptible to lead poisoning than are adults, so the toy
information is particularly distressing. We've been treated to some
guy claiming that the general reaction to China's **** poor safety
regulation, at all ends, is racist. I've read his blather in three
different places now. There seems to be a card to flip that is
supposed to allow any group to do anything to the detriment of others
without being forced to change. If it isn't racism, it's ageism,
or...could it all be infantilism because of earlier lead poisoning?

Any woodworker chewing on his drill press or planer, though, has much
worse problems than a tiny taste of lead might cause.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 15, 1:27 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I already can't sleep at night because I'm so worried about global
warming. Unless the volcano under Yellowstone erupts, which would
lead to a global winter, which would lead to global starvation.
Unless we get hit by an asteroid, which would at least be quick and
painless.

You know the North Koreans will surely destroy the world if they ever
get nuclear capability, unless the Arabs beat them to it.

You missed the big one.
A volcano off the coast of Europe is about to collapse and slide into the
ocean.
It is put a 100' tsunami across the entire US East coast.

(some think it may collapse in several stages, none of which will give a
killer tsunami; we can only wait and see.)

Oh, and pneumonic AIDS.

I left out a LOT of them. Aids, herpes, bird flu, smallpox, anthrax,
formaldehyde in homes, rollovers in SUV's, razor blades in apples,
needles in coin returns, needles in theater seats, snakes in toilets,
fire ants, killer bees . . . and the list goes on and on. I just
didn't want you to think I was paranoid or anything.

DonkeyHody
"Cowards die many times before their deaths." - Shakespeare

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:27:58 -0000, Charlie Self
wrote:

That's the first I've heard of the sweet taste.

First artifical sweetener was lead acetate, which the Romans made by
boiling grape juice up in thick lead pans. Needed to be thick, they used
to dissolve holes in them....
Posted to rec.woodworking

The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's toys painted with lead paint.

Don't forget --- Albert Einstein grew up in a house with lead based
paint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Heck I have bigger things to worry about. The wood dust giving me cancer,
the gas company screwing up and I blow up with my house at 3AM (2 houses in
our area in the last year have done that after NYSEG replaced the gas lines
into the houses), old age creeping in, unexplained hair loss, paying for my
kids college, telling the wife I need a new tool, if I tightened the lugs
nuts on my wife's car after doing brake work all day Sunday, and why Norm
has to use so many brads.

I am so worked up now, I have to go join DonkeyHody with a pack of smokes
and 12 pack of beer.

Allen

"GROVER" wrote in message
ups.com...
The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's
toys painted with lead paint. (Not to mention other gaffs such as
tooth paste, tires et al). Since our NG is well aware of all the
wood working tools which are also imported from China, does any one
see a potential hazard to the users, I realize that adults use these
tools and aren't likely to ingest the coatings. Just though some in
the group might have a thought on the matter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

GEEZ after all these posts I'm REALLY depressed! I consider myself
semi retired and all I had been worried about was sticking my hand in
the unisaw (can't afford a SawStop), illegal aliens in TX, and those
honey do lists! Only one more semester tuition for my youngest and
I'll BE RICH!!

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:28:05 -0400, "Allen Roy"
wrote:

Heck I have bigger things to worry about. The wood dust giving me cancer,
the gas company screwing up and I blow up with my house at 3AM (2 houses in
our area in the last year have done that after NYSEG replaced the gas lines
into the houses), old age creeping in, unexplained hair loss, paying for my
kids college, telling the wife I need a new tool, if I tightened the lugs
nuts on my wife's car after doing brake work all day Sunday, and why Norm
has to use so many brads.

I am so worked up now, I have to go join DonkeyHody with a pack of smokes
and 12 pack of beer.

Allen

"GROVER" wrote in message
oups.com...
The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's
toys painted with lead paint. (Not to mention other gaffs such as
tooth paste, tires et al). Since our NG is well aware of all the
wood working tools which are also imported from China, does any one
see a potential hazard to the users, I realize that adults use these
tools and aren't likely to ingest the coatings. Just though some in
the group might have a thought on the matter.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DonkeyHody wrote in
ups.com:

*snip: Many things wrong with the world.*

Now you want me to worry because some toys made in China were found to
have lead in their paint and some chisels are made in China and they
have paint on them too. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the energy
to worry about anything else right now. In fact, I'm so worried
already it will take three cigarettes and a six pack to calm me down.

DonkeyHody

In situations like those cited above, I'm SO very happy that God gave me
an immune system, the wisdom to avoid really bad situations, and if
something does go terribly wrong, I know he'll be there to greet me in
Heaven. :-)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

I don't see it as a problem with regard to woodworking tools. Lead
paint has a slightly sweet taste which appeals to children. That's why
kids chewed pencils back in the day. While toys might find their way
to little mouths, it's not likely a jointer will. And if a kid starts
chewing on a cabinet saw, then the negligent party isn't the
manufacturer....

Not to be a stickler, but pencils are made with graphite - not lead.
Where the term 'lead' came from is a real question. And I never found
graphite to be sweet.

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
ups.com...

We've been treated to some
guy claiming that the general reaction to China's **** poor safety
regulation, at all ends, is racist. I've read his blather in three
different places now. There seems to be a card to flip that is
supposed to allow any group to do anything to the detriment of others
without being forced to change. If it isn't racism, it's ageism,
or...could it all be infantilism because of earlier lead poisoning?

It seems today that when all else fails the problem can be cured by calling
somebody a racist

Glen

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"DonkeyHody" wrote in message
And I'm afraid to stay home because the air in my Katrina Trailer is
poisoned and FEMA knew about it all along, but sent them on anyway.

Whine, whine, whine. In my area we have Radon in the basement. The dog
sleeps in the basement and glows in the dark now and the light keeps me
awake at night.

If you neuter your dog, you will be able to play handball in the dark.

Glen

the lead paint look? Jason Rogers Home Repair 10 January 15th 11 09:54 PM
When did Lead Paint Stop? TheScullster UK diy 6 August 1st 06 09:10 PM
Lead Paint Bertie Brink Home Repair 5 July 11th 06 04:51 PM
when did lead paint first come into use? RobR Home Repair 12 June 6th 05 07:24 PM
Lead in paint? al UK diy 9 August 7th 03 07:38 PM