Posted to rec.woodworking
DonkeyHody DonkeyHody is offline

Default Lead Paint

On Aug 15, 9:33 am, GROVER wrote:
The news is full of stories concerning our importation of children's
toys painted with lead paint. (Not to mention other gaffs such as
tooth paste, tires et al). Since our NG is well aware of all the
wood working tools which are also imported from China, does any one
see a potential hazard to the users, I realize that adults use these
tools and aren't likely to ingest the coatings. Just though some in
the group might have a thought on the matter.

You're kidding, Right??

I already can't sleep at night because I'm so worried about global
warming. Unless the volcano under Yellowstone erupts, which would
lead to a global winter, which would lead to global starvation.
Unless we get hit by an asteroid, which would at least be quick and
painless.

You know the North Koreans will surely destroy the world if they ever
get nuclear capability, unless the Arabs beat them to it.

When I was a kid, I worried because the Gulf of Mexico was filling up
at an alarming rate, but now I'm worried because the coastline is
receding, and this is supposed to be a big hurricane year, and we
haven't even recovered from Katrina yet.

I'm afraid to go anywhere because all the bridges in the entire world
are on the verge of collapse. They just lost another one in China
yesterday.

And I'm afraid to stay home because the air in my Katrina Trailer is
poisoned and FEMA knew about it all along, but sent them on anyway.
And I can't go outside because I might get bit by a mosquito and catch
West Nile disease. Six people in my state have died already this
year.

I was already afraid to go out to my shop because of the hazzards of
breathing wood dust. But I can't turn on my dust collector because of
static electricity explosions. Then there's table saw kickbacks or
exploding PVC air lines to worry about.

I'm afraid to eat because the fruits and vegetables are all
contaminated with pesticides or they have been genetically altered so
my kids might have three heads. And the meat is suspect because of
mad cow disease or the stuff they feed the animals. The water isn't
safe to drink either. Just read the papers.

Now you want me to worry because some toys made in China were found to
have lead in their paint and some chisels are made in China and they
have paint on them too. I'm sorry, but I just don't have the energy
to worry about anything else right now. In fact, I'm so worried
already it will take three cigarettes and a six pack to calm me down.

DonkeyHody
" We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom
that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits
down
on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid
again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold
one anymore." - Mark Twain