Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Lead Paint

writes:

I don't see it as a problem with regard to woodworking tools. Lead
paint has a slightly sweet taste which appeals to children. That's why
kids chewed pencils back in the day. While toys might find their way
to little mouths, it's not likely a jointer will. And if a kid starts
chewing on a cabinet saw, then the negligent party isn't the
manufacturer....

Not to be a stickler, but pencils are made with graphite - not lead.
Where the term 'lead' came from is a real question. And I never found
graphite to be sweet.

However, pencils were _painted_ with lead paint, once upon a time.

scott