Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When did Lead Paint Stop?

Hi all

I am sifting my way through upgrading 1970s dump and wondered whether it
would be safe to use a blow lamp for paint stripping.
The last 2 door frames have been stripped using Nitromors, but this takes
forever (one application for each layer of paint).

So, the question is, will interior paint used in 1973 onwards contain lead?
Is there any way to check other than submitting yourself to the fumes and
waiting to see if the respiratory system packs up?

TIA

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So, the question is, will interior paint used in 1973 onwards contain
lead?
Is there any way to check other than submitting yourself to the fumes and
waiting to see if the respiratory system packs up?

Strangely, using a proper blow lamp on lead paint isn't a problem, as the
high temperature reduces the compound to something less dangerous. I was led
to believe that the same is not true of electric "hair dryer" type units.
The worst method is to sand it off.

I may be mistaken, however, so check first and don't come to me with a
liability claim!

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

So, the question is, will interior paint used in 1973 onwards contain lead?
Is there any way to check other than submitting yourself to the fumes and
waiting to see if the respiratory system packs up?

The labels on several cans of paint in my 'collection' include warnings
to be careful about stripping "pre-1960s" paint due to lead content
concerns; so on that basis you should be OK.

If you're really paranoid about it you can buy little test kits from B&Q
etc just for this purpose.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks guys - excellent help

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
So, the question is, will interior paint used in 1973 onwards contain

lead?
Is there any way to check other than submitting yourself to the fumes and
waiting to see if the respiratory system packs up?

Strangely, using a proper blow lamp on lead paint isn't a problem, as the
high temperature reduces the compound to something less dangerous. I was
led
to believe that the same is not true of electric "hair dryer" type units.
The worst method is to sand it off.

I may be mistaken, however, so check first and don't come to me with a
liability claim!

The DEFRA guide says "Hot-air guns should only be used so that it will only
cause softening of the paint film - do not burn the paint as this will give
off fumes. The gun setting must be below 450°C." so I think you may well be
wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The DEFRA guide says "Hot-air guns should only be used so that it will
only
cause softening of the paint film - do not burn the paint as this will

give
off fumes. The gun setting must be below 450°C." so I think you may well

be
wrong.

I don't doubt it! My memory isn't quite what it used to be.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
The DEFRA guide says "Hot-air guns should only be used so that it will

only
cause softening of the paint film - do not burn the paint as this will

give
off fumes. The gun setting must be below 450°C." so I think you may well

be
wrong.

I don't doubt it! My memory isn't quite what it used to be.

Christian.

Too much stripping old paint with a blow torch maybe? ;-)

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Excerpt: Room for Improvement Jane Smith Home Repair 1 October 3rd 05 10:22 AM
Lead Paint Home Exterior [email protected] Home Ownership 2 April 13th 05 09:41 AM
Removing paint from lead on window [email protected] UK diy 2 April 10th 05 02:26 AM
Lead-Loc and Gas pipes tom w UK diy 29 June 16th 04 11:10 PM