RobR

Default when did lead paint first come into use?

I've read it was banned in 1978, that levels were higher
prior to 1950, but I can't find any info that discusses
when it was first used. Many of the houses around here
date back to the 1700s and have original windows and
trim. Was lead paint in use in the 1700s? 1800s?
Thanks!

Edwin Pawlowski

"RobR" wrote in message
I've read it was banned in 1978, that levels were higher
prior to 1950, but I can't find any info that discusses
when it was first used. Many of the houses around here
date back to the 1700s and have original windows and
trim. Was lead paint in use in the 1700s? 1800s?
Thanks!

I know it was use in the early 1900's. Don't know about previous.

The lead paint on an old house is probably covered by coats of newer paint.
If it is covered or not covered, don't eat it and you'll be OK. It's not
like asbestos. If it is flaking off because now is the first time that the
house fell into disrepair, now you have an immediate concern, which it to
not let toddlers into the house.
-B

"RobR" wrote in message
I've read it was banned in 1978, that levels were higher
prior to 1950, but I can't find any info that discusses
when it was first used. Many of the houses around here
date back to the 1700s and have original windows and
trim. Was lead paint in use in the 1700s? 1800s?
Thanks!

Colbyt

"RobR" wrote in message
I've read it was banned in 1978, that levels were higher
prior to 1950, but I can't find any info that discusses
when it was first used. Many of the houses around here
date back to the 1700s and have original windows and
trim. Was lead paint in use in the 1700s? 1800s?
Thanks!

The one time I tried to research this the best answer I could find was that
lead has been used for centuries.

Colbyt

Hopkins

http://www.freep.com/news/childrenfi...1_20030121.htm

The above link says lead was used in paint as far back as 1884, but
I've seen other mentions that say accounts of childhood lead-paint
poisoning were already known by that time.

RicodJour

RobR wrote:
I've read it was banned in 1978, that levels were higher
prior to 1950, but I can't find any info that discusses
when it was first used. Many of the houses around here
date back to the 1700s and have original windows and
trim. Was lead paint in use in the 1700s? 1800s?
Thanks!

http://www.website101.com/Health_Ins...ng-Workers.htm

Hopkins

Yeah, the Romans used it in plumbing

Edwin Pawlowski

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
RobR wrote:
I've read it was banned in 1978, that levels were higher
prior to 1950, but I can't find any info that discusses
when it was first used. Many of the houses around here
date back to the 1700s and have original windows and
trim. Was lead paint in use in the 1700s? 1800s?
Thanks!

http://www.website101.com/Health_Ins...ng-Workers.htm

Amazing that it took from 1910 to 1977 to get it out of household paint.

Japanese used white lead on timber ends in traditional builtings -
houses and temples.
I'm not sure when it was first used but some temples go way back.
TB

Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Hopkins ) said...

Yeah, the Romans used it in plumbing

From what I've heard, they also used lead acetate as a sweetener (while
the peasents used honey). Of course, we now know what that can do to you.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

Art

This may not be true. Paint dust can be on the surface and when kids touch
a surface and put their fingers in their mouth they are eating lead. That
is why there was a recall of some vinyl blinds a few years back. The paint
problem is so big no one wants to touch it. Kind of like old wiring in old
houses. Another problem that no one wants to think about.

. com...