Getting hot water from shower to actually be hot

Old October 26th 10, 07:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting hot water from shower to actually be hot

Grrr. This is why I prefer proper stored hot water systems...

My shower has a mira Discovery thermostatic mixer, one of
these: http://goo.gl/0n7g

Try as I might I can't actually get the hot water to be hot.
With the temperature control turned all the way to "hot" it
just runs tepid, I end up shivering when trying to have a
shower. Following the instructions I've turned the internal
temperature control adjuster within the green temperture hub,
I've ended up turning it so far the worm scren is starting to
poke out of the hub, yet it *STILL* runs cold.

Basin mixer tap runs nice and hot, kitchen mixer tap runs
nice and hot.

Any advice?

At the place I used to live I had 25 gallons of hot water
sat waiting for me instantly onstandby.

JGH
Old October 26th 10, 07:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Sorry, no, actually one of these: http://goo.gl/rRg4

Old October 26th 10, 07:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
My shower has a mira Discovery thermostatic mixer, one of
these: http://goo.gl/rRg4

PS: Boiler is a oil-fired Warmflow Combi 90, serviced in June.

JGH
Old October 26th 10, 08:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2010 19:38, jgharston wrote:
Grrr. This is why I prefer proper stored hot water systems...

My shower has a mira Discovery thermostatic mixer, one of
these: http://goo.gl/0n7g

Try as I might I can't actually get the hot water to be hot.
With the temperature control turned all the way to "hot" it
just runs tepid, I end up shivering when trying to have a
shower. Following the instructions I've turned the internal
temperature control adjuster within the green temperture hub,
I've ended up turning it so far the worm scren is starting to
poke out of the hub, yet it *STILL* runs cold.

Basin mixer tap runs nice and hot, kitchen mixer tap runs
nice and hot.

Any advice?

At the place I used to live I had 25 gallons of hot water
sat waiting for me instantly onstandby.

JGH

If the water is hot at the sink then it's not the boiler or the system.
It must be the shower mixer. I've had one of those showers and it was fine.
Has it ever worked?
Are the hot and cold supply fitted correctly?
Is there a blockage in the hot supply?
If you stop cold water reaching the shower does hot water come out?
Old October 26th 10, 08:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

nicknoxx wrote:
If the water is hot at the sink then it's not the boiler or the system.
It must be the shower mixer. I've had one of those showers and it was fine.
Has it ever worked?

Not since I moved in in May. It's only now getting
annoying as the weather gets colder.

Are the hot and cold supply fitted correctly?

Dunno, can only presume that the person who built/plumbed
the house last year fitted them correctly.

Is there a blockage in the hot supply?
If you stop cold water reaching the shower does hot water come out?

Hmm. That would be an interesting experiment, though how
I would do it without ripping out the wall on the other side
of the shower or breaking up the concrete floor I'm not
sure.

JGH
Old October 26th 10, 08:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2010 20:13, jgharston wrote:
nicknoxx wrote:
If the water is hot at the sink then it's not the boiler or the system.
It must be the shower mixer. I've had one of those showers and it was fine.
Has it ever worked?

Not since I moved in in May. It's only now getting
annoying as the weather gets colder.

Are the hot and cold supply fitted correctly?

Dunno, can only presume that the person who built/plumbed
the house last year fitted them correctly.

Is there a blockage in the hot supply?
If you stop cold water reaching the shower does hot water come out?

Hmm. That would be an interesting experiment, though how
I would do it without ripping out the wall on the other side
of the shower or breaking up the concrete floor I'm not
sure.

JGH

Hmmm, looks like you'll have to have the shower mixer off the wall then
Old October 26th 10, 09:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2010 19:38, jgharston wrote:

Any advice?

Turn it half way and stick your hand under it. Then turn it up
gradually and feel what happens. Then report back!

Andy
Old October 26th 10, 09:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Turn it half way and stick your hand under it. *Then turn it up
gradually and feel what happens. *Then report back!

At halfway, runs at 37degrees.
After 30 seconds turned up to full hot.
Continued running at 37 degress.

JGH
Old October 26th 10, 09:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
At halfway, runs at 37degrees.
After 30 seconds turned up to full hot.
Continued running at 37 degress.

Hot water in the basin runs at 47 degrees.

JGH
Old October 26th 10, 10:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 26/10/2010 19:38, jgharston wrote:

Any advice?

Turn it half way and stick your hand under it. Then turn it up gradually
and feel what happens. Then report back!

Andy

Can you check the temp at a tap whilst the shower is running? You may be
'blaming' the shower when it is the boiler that is lacking capacity.

I have a Mira 415 and I needed to fit a flow reducer in the winter to allow
the boiler to cope - it was delivering 12 litres a minute and the boiler
struggled. It is now 9 litres a minute and it is fine