Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water hammer causing black water in sink/toilet/shower?

I installed a sprinkler timer on a silcock outside the house, to
irrigate some new grass seed I planted. When the timer turns the water
on, there is a brief episode of water hammer before the water starts
to flow.

Ever since I put the timer on the spigot, there's been black water in
the bathroom fixtures. At first I thought it was a disintegrating
rubber washer in the toilet. But the black water has come out of the
sink and shower too.

The black water goes away after a few seconds.

I imagine I need to flush my hot water heater. But does anyone know
why this might be happening?

We are on city water. The timer had previously been installed on
another outdoor spigot, and this had never happened.

What to do?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 19:29:49 -0700 (PDT), Bryan Scholtes
wrote:

I installed a sprinkler timer on a silcock outside the house, to
irrigate some new grass seed I planted. When the timer turns the water
on, there is a brief episode of water hammer before the water starts
to flow.

Ever since I put the timer on the spigot, there's been black water in
the bathroom fixtures. At first I thought it was a disintegrating
rubber washer in the toilet. But the black water has come out of the
sink and shower too.

The black water goes away after a few seconds.

I imagine I need to flush my hot water heater. But does anyone know
why this might be happening?

It sounds like a coincidence but that still doesn't explain what's
happening. Or maybe the hammer is freeing up dirt somwehere in the
pipes. How old is your house.

We are on city water.

I hear that Blackwater has changed its name to Z, or V. Do you live
in Z or V?

The timer had previously been installed on
another outdoor spigot, and this had never happened.

What to do?

You get water hammer when it turns ON? Not when it turns off? That
doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it's just the water pipe moving
backwards as the water moves forwards, if so it seems to me the
problem would most likely be in the last pipe before the sillcock.
Put your hand on the pipe while someone advances the timer or manually
turns the water on.

Anyhow if it's really water hammer, they sell things that look like
fat brass test tube, 3 or 4 inches long, in the middle of two female
garden faucet connectors, a total of two or three inches long. I have
one on the cold or hot water inlet of my washing machine, because when
I got steel clad hoss to the washing machine, and didn't have mere
rubber anymore, the steel kept the rubber from expanding and absorbing
the shock. Maybe you could put one on the silcock just before the
timer valve, and they also make them to be sweated to copper pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I installed a sprinkler timer on a silcock outside the house, to
irrigate some new grass seed I planted. When the timer turns the water
on, there is a brief episode of water hammer before the water starts
to flow.

Ever since I put the timer on the spigot, there's been black water in
the bathroom fixtures. At first I thought it was a disintegrating
rubber washer in the toilet. But the black water has come out of the
sink and shower too.

The black water goes away after a few seconds.

I imagine I need to flush my hot water heater. But does anyone know
why this might be happening?

We are on city water. The timer had previously been installed on
another outdoor spigot, and this had never happened.

What to do?

*Is there an anti-siphon valve on the sprinkler timer?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 4:57*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
I installed a sprinkler timer on a silcock outside the house, to
irrigate some new grass seed I planted. When the timer turns the water
on, there is a brief episode of water hammer before the water starts
to flow.

Ever since I put the timer on the spigot, there's been black water in
the bathroom fixtures. At first I thought it was a disintegrating
rubber washer in the toilet. But the black water has come out of the
sink and shower too.

The black water goes away after a few seconds.

I imagine I need to flush my hot water heater. But does anyone know
why this might be happening?

We are on city water. The timer had previously been installed on
another outdoor spigot, and this had never happened.

What to do?

*Is there an anti-siphon valve on the sprinkler timer?

I am going to try Sioux Chief's add-on water hammer attachment for
spigots. I've also ordered a new timer with a ball valve to try and
avoid water hammer in the first place.

We'll see if the black water comes back - I haven't used the home
plumbing today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I hear that Blackwater has changed its name to Z, or V. *

XE to be precise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 23, 8:54*pm, Bryan Scholtes wrote:
[...]

The black water is back - I flushed the hot water heater and it was
full of black sediment. And because I was turning the water supply to
the heater on and off (to loosen sediment) my whole house was treated
to another round of black water.

I disconnected the timer from the outside. My best theory is that
water hammer was causing black water... but I'll never know, I
suppose. Everyone seems to have an answer for black hot water, but
there is no other explanation on the Net for black cold water.