Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting hot water from shower to actually be hot

Gib Bogle wrote:
On 27/10/2010 1:01 p.m., jgharston wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
I don't follow you, sweetheart. We had low pressure at all the hot
taps, good
pressure on the cold. After adjustment of the diaphragm thingie on
the hw
cylinder inlet, we now have good pressure on all hot taps. OK darling?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly sweetie, I *don't* have a hot water cylinder, hot
water is supplied on demand by being heated as the cold
water flows through the boiler. If it flows flowly enough to
be heated to a useful temparture, it's flowing too slowly
for a decent shower. If it's flowing fast enough for a decent
shower, it's flowing through the boiler too fast for it to be
heated up, escpecially now that the cold supply arrives
at 8 degrees since the snow stared. This is why I hate
non-stored hot water systems.

JGH

That's the first time I've heard of a 'combi' system.

with luck, it will be the last as well.

spawn of the devil.

A combi is to what we used to call a 'geyser' as a wimnd turbione is to
a traditional windmill.

I.e. a really crap idea dressed up in modern clothes and sold on the
basis that it actually does something useful after all.

The only 'combi' I have used that really worked for hot water, was the
one my sister had in germany. It lived in the basement and was the size
of a family car. That actually could produce a hot shower.

Sometimes posting
to uk.d-i-y from NZ does make a difference.