Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower with Main cold water and cylinder hot water

Hi Can someone advise what type of shower I need when I have mains
cold water with cylinder hot water. What is a good shower type to
use.

At the moment I have a normal lever mixer, but then you turn it just a
little to the cold the water gets very cold. It generally hard to
control and the shower water temp keeps changing.

Michael
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael" wrote in message
Hi Can someone advise what type of shower I need when I have mains
cold water with cylinder hot water. What is a good shower type to
use.

At the moment I have a normal lever mixer, but then you turn it just a
little to the cold the water gets very cold. It generally hard to
control and the shower water temp keeps changing.

Michael

Go for the Ideal Stadard Trevi Boost. Not cheap but very well made and good
looking. Run a dedicated 22mm hot supply from the cylinder to the mixer and
a 15mm cold water mains supply.

They work well giving high pressure showers as much as the mains can
deliver. Get the tech specs of the Trevi and test your main pressure. These
venturi mixers must be run within the makers specs. Problems are invariably
poor installation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"michael" wrote in message
Hi Can someone advise what type of shower I need when I have mains
cold water with cylinder hot water. What is a good shower type to
use.

At the moment I have a normal lever mixer, but then you turn it just a
little to the cold the water gets very cold. It generally hard to
control and the shower water temp keeps changing.

Michael

Go for the Ideal Stadard Trevi Boost. Not cheap but very well made and
good looking. Run a dedicated 22mm hot supply from the cylinder to the
mixer and a 15mm cold water mains supply.

They work well giving high pressure showers as much as the mains can
deliver. Get the tech specs of the Trevi and test your main pressure.
These venturi mixers must be run within the makers specs. Problems are
invariably poor installation.

....or go for a pumped installation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I use a trevi boost and can recommend them. 22mm hot pipework with
minimum number of bends very important, all the way from HW cylinder
to shower.

If you can't meet the requirements for minimising flow restrictions,
go for pumped.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I use a trevi boost and can recommend them. 22mm hot pipework with
minimum number of bends very important, all the way from HW cylinder
to shower.

If you can't meet the requirements for minimising flow restrictions,
go for pumped.

I once looked into fitting a Trevi - but felt that there were some
uncertainties and significant costs associated with 22mm pipework.

I feel it is a pity that there are no alternatives - perhaps using the cold
pressure to pump the hot - rather than using a venturi arrangement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
...or go for a pumped installation.

Or preferably not.

Were you frightened by one as a child? They are the obvious solution where
pressure/flow differences exist. And a lot more convenient than replacing
pipe runs.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
wrote in message
I use a trevi boost and can recommend them. 22mm hot pipework with
minimum number of bends very important, all the way from HW cylinder
to shower.

If you can't meet the requirements for minimising flow restrictions,
go for pumped.

I once looked into fitting a Trevi - but felt that there were some
uncertainties and significant costs associated with 22mm pipework.

I feel it is a pity that there are no alternatives - perhaps using
the cold pressure to pump the hot - rather than using a venturi
arrangement.

Its also worth considering the cost of replacement 'cartridges'. I've
replaced both Trevi & Aqualisa in relatively new houses (5-10 years old) so
they don't seem to last long & can cost £100 ish.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael wrote:

Hi Can someone advise what type of shower I need when I have mains
cold water with cylinder hot water. What is a good shower type to
use.

At the moment I have a normal lever mixer, but then you turn it just a
little to the cold the water gets very cold. It generally hard to
control and the shower water temp keeps changing.

Michael

Why not take the cold feed from the cold header tank - rather than from the
mains - and then use a dual-channel boost pump, triggered by a flow switch?
That's what I do - with plenty of flow, and good temperature control because
hot and cold water pressures are equal.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
...or go for a pumped installation.

Or preferably not.

Were

You must eff off as you are a plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
John wrote:
wrote in message
I use a trevi boost and can recommend them. 22mm hot pipework with
minimum number of bends very important, all the way from HW cylinder
to shower.

If you can't meet the requirements for minimising flow restrictions,
go for pumped.

I once looked into fitting a Trevi - but felt that there were some
uncertainties and significant costs associated with 22mm pipework.

I feel it is a pity that there are no alternatives - perhaps using
the cold pressure to pump the hot - rather than using a venturi
arrangement.

Its also worth considering the cost of replacement 'cartridges'. I've
replaced both Trevi & Aqualisa in relatively new houses (5-10 years old)
so they don't seem to last long & can cost £100 ish.

There is the Trevi and Trevi Boost. The Boost is a venturi shower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
michael wrote:

Hi Can someone advise what type of shower I need when I have mains
cold water with cylinder hot water. What is a good shower type to
use.

At the moment I have a normal lever mixer, but then you turn it just a
little to the cold the water gets very cold. It generally hard to
control and the shower water temp keeps changing.

Michael

Why not take the cold feed from the cold header tank - rather than from
the mains - and then use a dual-channel boost pump, triggered by a flow
switch? That's what I do - with plenty of flow, and good temperature
control because hot and cold water pressures are equal.

Until leaks or fails and all the nosie they make. A good pump is NOT cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Why not take the cold feed from the cold header tank - rather than
from the mains - and then use a dual-channel boost pump, triggered by
a flow switch? That's what I do - with plenty of flow, and good
temperature control because hot and cold water pressures are equal.

Until leaks or fails and all the nosie they make. A good pump is NOT
cheap.

Nor is your idea of replacing all the pipework with larger. Plantpot.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Why not take the cold feed from the cold header tank - rather than
from the mains - and then use a dual-channel boost pump, triggered by
a flow switch? That's what I do - with plenty of flow, and good
temperature control because hot and cold water pressures are equal.

Until leaks or fails and all the nosie they make. A good pump is NOT
cheap.

Nor

You must eff off as you are a total plantpot. He put a pump on his kitchen
tap. Yes, he did! One pump, one tap.

28mm run from cold storage tank to hot water cylinder [email protected] UK diy 51 September 30th 06 09:43 PM
Main cold water supply pt 2 Rich UK diy 3 January 25th 05 04:17 PM
Main cold water supply ??? Rich UK diy 5 January 24th 05 09:22 PM
Moving a Hot Water Cylinder & Cold Water Tank Andy Hide UK diy 1 November 11th 04 12:14 AM
Pipe run between Cold water tank and hot water cylinder. John Durham UK diy 3 March 3rd 04 10:02 AM