Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting hot water from shower to actually be hot

On 27/10/10 16:09, funkyoldcortina wrote:
On 26/10/10 22:12, John wrote:

I realise now that your has a "flow" control (mine doesn't). Is the problem
there at lower flow rates?

Google for E-on showersave. They were doing a promo with Anglian Water where
they were sending these out free. Fits in line with the shower hose or shower
head and limits the flow rate to around 9l/min.

http://www.awdirect-savewatersavemon...ete-kit-aw/876

F-O-C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/10 03:26, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 27/10/2010 1:01 p.m., jgharston wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:
I don't follow you, sweetheart. We had low pressure at all the hot taps, good
pressure on the cold. After adjustment of the diaphragm thingie on the hw
cylinder inlet, we now have good pressure on all hot taps. OK darling?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly sweetie, I *don't* have a hot water cylinder, hot
water is supplied on demand by being heated as the cold
water flows through the boiler. If it flows flowly enough to
be heated to a useful temparture, it's flowing too slowly
for a decent shower. If it's flowing fast enough for a decent
shower, it's flowing through the boiler too fast for it to be
heated up, escpecially now that the cold supply arrives
at 8 degrees since the snow stared. This is why I hate
non-stored hot water systems.

JGH

That's the first time I've heard of a 'combi' system. Sometimes posting to
uk.d-i-y from NZ does make a difference.

Maybe NZ isn't as advanced as AUS then because I've seen them there too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only 'combi' I have used that really worked for hot water, was the one my
sister had in germany. It lived in the basement and was the size of a family
car. That actually could produce a hot shower.

Vaillant 24kw combi & Deva Thermostatic mixer works fine for us.

If the OP is in a hard water area, how hot does the water come out of the hot
tap if you turn the water temp control on the boiler up to full. It should be
way too hot to put your hand in (assuming no thermostatic mixers), above
65degrees C.

If it is not and you're in a hard water area, check the secondary heat
exchanger in the boiler isn't scaled up. That can make a world of difference.

A working, scale-free combi is fine for a good hot shower, even in cold
weather when the incoming mains is colder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/10 22:12, John wrote:

I realise now that your has a "flow" control (mine doesn't). Is the
problem
there at lower flow rates?

Google for E-on showersave. They were doing a promo with Anglian Water
where
they were sending these out free. Fits in line with the shower hose or
shower
head and limits the flow rate to around 9l/min.

http://www.awdirect-savewatersavemon...ete-kit-aw/876

F-O-C

That's what I fitted - helped the combi to cope in the winter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 27/10/2010 16:15, funkyoldcortina wrote:

Vaillant 24kw combi & Deva Thermostatic mixer works fine for us.

Vaillant 28kW combi works fine here, what are people calling a "decent"
flow rate anyway?

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

Maybe it's just an issue of nomenclature. We have "hot water on demand" systems
here, usually gas. This is basically the same as what used to be called a
califont (perhaps that's a brand name). Water flowing through triggers gas
flames. We replaced the cylinder in our previous house with one of these. It
worked well enough.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lee wrote:
On 27/10/2010 16:15, funkyoldcortina wrote:

Vaillant 24kw combi & Deva Thermostatic mixer works fine for us.

Vaillant 28kW combi works fine here, what are people calling a "decent"
flow rate anyway?

I'd expect 28kW to give a reasonable shower - given many put up with
electric ones. Might be a bit slow for filling a bath, though.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 8:13*pm, jgharston wrote:
nicknoxx wrote:
If the water is hot at the sink then it's not the boiler or the system.
It must be the shower mixer. I've had one of those showers and it was fine.
Has it ever worked?

Not since I moved in in May. It's only now getting
annoying as the weather gets colder.

Are the hot and cold supply fitted correctly?

Dunno, can only presume that the person who built/plumbed
the house last year fitted them correctly.

Is there a blockage in the hot supply?
If you stop cold water reaching the shower does hot water come out?

Hmm. That would be an interesting experiment, though how
I would do it without ripping out the wall on the other side
of the shower or breaking up the concrete floor I'm not
sure.

If I'd plumbed it in, there'd be isolating valves on both hot and
cold. Simples!

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.awdirect-savewatersavemon...owerSave-compl...

F-O-C

That's what I fitted - helped the combi to cope in the winter.

If the combi can't cope in winter then it's not fit for purpose, but
that's combis for you.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/10 22:12, John wrote:
I realise now that your has a "flow" control (mine doesn't). Is the
problem
there at lower flow rates?
Google for E-on showersave. They were doing a promo with Anglian Water
where
they were sending these out free. Fits in line with the shower hose or
shower
head and limits the flow rate to around 9l/min.
http://www.awdirect-savewatersavemon...owerSave-compl...
F-O-C

That's what I fitted - helped the combi to cope in the winter.

If the combi can't cope in winter then it's not fit for purpose, but
that's combis for you.

that is my feeling more or less.

If they are an sized, they work well enough, but all too often when the
house is full of people all wanting hot water..

Never forget the howl of anguish from a teenager upstairs, having a
shower, when I the visitor, tried to wash my hands in the downstairs loo..

here, when doing the new build, I looked at all the options. Water
softener and mains pressure tank and modest system boiler has given me
the best water system I have ever used bar none.

Pressure is generally very good here, mind. Everyone who uses the
showers comments on how much piping hot water they deliver.

and I have had no scale problems anywhere.

Drivel always says you can do just as well with a combi and a heatbank.
Maybe so, but it would have cost more.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2010 6:09 p.m., John Rumm wrote:

Maybe it's just an issue of nomenclature. We have "hot water on demand"
systems here, usually gas. This is basically the same as what used to be
called a califont (perhaps that's a brand name). Water flowing through
triggers gas flames. We replaced the cylinder in our previous house with
one of these. It worked well enough.

Assuming it does just hot water (i.e. not heating as well) its what would
usually be called a "multipoint" water heater here. There were popular a while
back, but combination (aka "combi") boilers that can run the heating and do hot
water on demand have largely replaced them in popularity.

Ah! They may exist down south, but I've never heard of such a thing up here in
the winterless north. No boilers here (in houses) as far as I know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Never forget the howl of anguish from a teenager upstairs, having a
shower, when I the visitor, tried to wash my hands in the downstairs loo..

Ah, you should've used the hand wash basin...

Anyway, after a week of fiddling about crawling under
the kitchen sink and wandering back and forth to
and from the bathroom, I've got something acceptable.
Shower runs at 45 degrees at slightly lower flow than
I prefer, but still usable. Another advantage is that
the cold water doesn't go bouncing out of the kitchen
sink any more. Takes 9 seconds to fill a 1.5l kettle.

Will have to mark the main stop cock tap somehow
so if it gets moved I can reset it fairly easily.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Rather than restrict the flow through the boiler with the main stopcock,
its more usual to use the service valve where the mains cold waster
enters the bottom of the boiler.

Which doesn't exist. The only stop tap in the entire house
is the rising main. No isolation taps, no service valves,
nothing. If I'd been the customer specifying this housebuild,
I'd be demanding some money back.

Hmm. My landlord's a joiner, so I wouldn't be surprised if
plumbing stuff just goes over his head.

JGH