Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital thermostat as an alternative to Hive

I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical thing with little switches..

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times and temperatures on different days.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend a stat please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 11:17:02 -0800 (PST), Murmansk
wrote:

I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times and temperatures on different days.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend a stat please?

As this is a DIY group you could do as I did
https://www.flickr.com/photos/g3zvt/.../in/datetaken/

I think I worked out (for someone on this group) that it cost me about
£18 to build.

It's not perfect I would have done it differently if I had the
wherewithal to design it, but it doesn't rely on a server in the
cloud, it's cheap, and best of all it ****es off the friends who pay
BG $$$ for one.

There is a touch screen version in development I understand.

http://www.hestiapi.com/content/and-we-have-beta

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2017 19:17, Murmansk wrote:
I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new
combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is
mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical
thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm
wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital
one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set some fancy
varying programs via the thermostat - different times and
temperatures on different days.

So basically a standard programmable thermostat then...

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend a
stat please?

Yup eminently doable. I quite like the Horstman Centaurstat 7. It gives
several time slots per day (up to 6 IIRC) and all 7 days are
programmable independently if you want (or you can copy one day's
settings to any other, or do basic 5+2 day programs)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

[...]

What about Hot Water - will you leave that on timer - or have a cylinder
thermostat?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2017 21:16, DerbyBorn wrote:
John Rumm wrote in
o.uk:

[...]

The OP mentioned a combi boiler, so that is heated on deamnd.

However if you have stored hot water, then you will need a more
conventional programmer and cylinder stat for that bit.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2017 21:29, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Unless to go for something like Hive which - if you buy the right model
- can do both. [You still need a cylinder stat, though].
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 11:17:02 -0800 (PST), Murmansk wrote:

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm
wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital one

Unless you really need the abilty to control the heating remotely a
programmable stat will be perfectly satisactory.

"really need" in that the flat is unoccupied fairly often on an
irregular basis for unpredictable periods of time. So "holiday mode"
of a programable stat won't be usefull.

Even then if the flat up to reasonably recent insulation standards it
probably won't take long to warm up from a set back temperature
anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Unless you really need the abilty to control the heating remotely a
programmable stat will be perfectly satisactory.

For me, remotely doesn't have to be over such a long distance, I can be
working upstairs, think "hmm, getting chilly" and tweak the heating up a
degree or two for an hour or two without leaving my desk - because you
just know if you go downstairs to prod the stat, you'll get a coffee
while you're at it, maybe a quick snack to go with it, oh might as well
open the post ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2017 19:17, Murmansk wrote:
I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times and temperatures on different days.

If you do go for a Hive, shop around. This was discussed recently, and I
gather they go for £200+, £9/month and suchlike. Just checked and I got
mine for £130 just before xmas from Amazon.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend a stat please?

Maybe a wireless stat?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The OP mentioned a combi boiler, so that is heated on deamnd.

However if you have stored hot water, then you will need a more
conventional programmer and cylinder stat for that bit.

Sorry! Was thinking "old" when mechanical timer mentioned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The oil fired combi boiler I have does have a small store of hot water
which it tries to keep hot. Fortunately it also has an internal on/off
programmer so I can use it with a 1 channel programmable Heatmiser
Smartstat.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times and temperatures on different days.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend a stat please?

Exactly what I did here quite a few years ago. I replaced the old
wired thermostat with a Siemens RDE10 digital thermostat, 7 day
programme, 12 high/low settings per day. It has has two temp settings
(high and low) but no off, however I just use the boiler timer if I
want an off setting.
The RDE10 works off an AA battery, and just has a one set of volt free
contacts (ie a switch) for the boiler control, so didn't need any
additional wiring to that which was there for the old room stat.
Battery lasts 3+ years.
The RDE10 was about £30, but is obsolete now. There are probably
similar things around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2017 04:03, Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Unless you really need the abilty to control the heating remotely a
programmable stat will be perfectly satisactory.

For me, remotely doesn't have to be over such a long distance, I can be
working upstairs, think "hmm, getting chilly" and tweak the heating up a
degree or two for an hour or two without leaving my desk - because you
just know if you go downstairs to prod the stat, you'll get a coffee
while you're at it, maybe a quick snack to go with it, oh might as well
open the post ...

I've found a wireless stat/programmer which can be carried around[1] is
good for people who like to tweak the temperature. It even managed to
stop 'er indoors leaving the TRVs set to heat the living room to 25C.

And I can see it's a better option than a time-delay lock on the door to
a home office

[1] which is of course any battery powered one if you screw it to a back
plate rather than a wall

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

I've found a wireless stat/programmer which can be carried around[1] is
good for people who like to tweak the temperature.

Could be, but if the room it'd normally live in doesn't have a TRV and
all others do, when you move it elsewhere you could have to tweak TRVs
or you might be heating up the parts of the house where you aren't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2017 11:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Robin wrote:

I've found a wireless stat/programmer which can be carried around[1] is
good for people who like to tweak the temperature.

Could be, but if the room it'd normally live in doesn't have a TRV and
all others do, when you move it elsewhere you could have to tweak TRVs
or you might be heating up the parts of the house where you aren't.

Oh yes indeed. I didn't mean to suggest it's the best solution, just a
bit better for people who in practice won't turn fixed stats up and
(especially) down, let alone tweak TRVs.

..

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 26 February 2017 19:17:05 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times and temperatures on different days.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend a stat please?

Did that and learnt that:
1. different temps at different predictable times are not wanted
2. smart stats are a usability problem, resulting in poorer energy use IRL
3. They have relatively poor reliability.
Went back to a bimetal stat, gratefully.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 04:03:14 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Unless you really need the abilty to control the heating remotely

programmable stat will be perfectly satisactory.

For me, remotely doesn't have to be over such a long distance, I can be
working upstairs, think "hmm, getting chilly" and tweak the heating up a
degree or two for an hour or two without leaving my desk - because you
just know if you go downstairs to prod the stat, you'll get a coffee
while you're at it, maybe a quick snack to go with it, oh might as well
open the post ...

I'd have a fan heater in the SOHO rather than heat the whole place.
Or just go and get a coffee, moving about and hot drink would warm me
back up. Snack, hum maybe but I'm being very good and limiting myself
to one packet of ginger nuts and one pack of dark chocolate
digestives a week, When they're gone, they're gone. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2017 12:09, wrote:

On Sunday, 26 February 2017 19:17:05 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new
combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is
mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical
thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house
I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a
digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set
some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times
and temperatures on different days.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend
a stat please?

Did that and learnt that: 1. different temps at different predictable
times are not wanted

Speak for yourself... I find them quite handy.

2. smart stats are a usability problem,

When setting up initially perhaps, but not once set.

Thereafter its just a case of hit an up or down button if you want to
manually jog the temperature up or down.

They also have the advantage that you can't forget to turn them down
again - they will automatically revert to program once they next time
slot is reached.

resulting in poorer energy use IRL 3.

Can't think why. They normally have better accuracy and control than a
bi-metal type. Less overshoot etc.

They have relatively poor
reliability.

Again not IME. I have had a couple myself, and installed a few for
others. Never had a single problem or failure.

Went back to a bimetal stat, gratefully.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 2 March 2017 21:04:20 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/03/2017 12:09, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 26 February 2017 19:17:05 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new
combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is
mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical
thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house
I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a
digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set
some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times
and temperatures on different days.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend
a stat please?

Did that and learnt that: 1. different temps at different predictable
times are not wanted

Speak for yourself... I find them quite handy.

Turning the heating off when not around on a regular basis, or setting it to a lower value when irregularly not there works perfectly well for me. We've no use for different settings where we're here.

2. smart stats are a usability problem,

When setting up initially perhaps, but not once set.

I assure you it was.

Thereafter its just a case of hit an up or down button if you want to
manually jog the temperature up or down.

They also have the advantage that you can't forget to turn them down
again - they will automatically revert to program once they next time
slot is reached.

that approach doesn't work well here.

resulting in poorer energy use IRL 3.

Can't think why. They normally have better accuracy and control than a
bi-metal type. Less overshoot etc.

they do fwliw, but when people can't work out easily how to work them they don't get adjusted down when it's wanted. Result: more energy use.

They have relatively poor
reliability.

Again not IME. I have had a couple myself, and installed a few for
others. Never had a single problem or failure.

I'm sure if you look at a sample of a few bimetals you'd usually find the same. It's too small a sample to be useful. Domestic electronic circuits simply don't have the reliability/longevity of a bimetal stat.

Went back to a bimetal stat, gratefully.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2017 22:53, wrote:
[...]

That does not mean there is a usability problem with all stats, or for
all people. Obviously some are better than others.

Thereafter its just a case of hit an up or down button if you want
to manually jog the temperature up or down.

They also have the advantage that you can't forget to turn them
down again - they will automatically revert to program once they
next time slot is reached.

that approach doesn't work well here.

One size does not fit all.

resulting in poorer energy use IRL 3.

Can't think why. They normally have better accuracy and control
than a bi-metal type. Less overshoot etc.

they do fwliw, but when people can't work out easily how to work them
they don't get adjusted down when it's wanted. Result: more energy
use.

I would expect if you look at the big picture, they will result in
savings overall for the majority who install them. Especially for
households with clear patterns of occupation - with people out at work /
school at standard parts of the day. The stat can remember to setback
the heating during the day without fail, but then have the house warm on
their return. With a manual stat someone has got to remember to do it
every time.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 3 March 2017 11:35:25 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/03/2017 22:53, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

obviously. And plainly there is a usability problem with some

[...]

Occupancy pattern is key I think. If you work varying hours a bimetal works better. If your hours are like clockwork a digital works better.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2017 11:42, wrote:
[...]

If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control (Hive,
Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control (Hive,
Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.

That might be fine if you're single and live on your own...

--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control (Hive,
Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.

That might be fine if you're single and live on your own...

More than one person can remote control the same stat...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2017 19:10, John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control (Hive,
Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.

That might be fine if you're single and live on your own...

More than one person can remote control the same stat...

Person one is going home early, so switches it on. Person two is going
to be late home, so switches it off.

(Surely you can just turn it on when you get home. Technology for the
sake of it. Reminds me of the BBC Micro/Computer Literacy Project: we
were going to use our home computers to do the accounts, control central
heating and goodness knows what else: a Model B needed a lot of extras
even to do a bit of word processing.)

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
Roger wrote:
If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control (Hive,
Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.

That might be fine if you're single and live on your own...

Or always hunt in a pack.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control
(Hive,
Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.

That might be fine if you're single and live on your own...

More than one person can remote control the same stat...

Person one is going home early, so switches it on. Person two is going
to be late home, so switches it off.

(Surely you can just turn it on when you get home. Technology for the
sake of it.

Unless you have a place that takes a few hours to get to a comfortable
temperature...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 00:35:29 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

(Surely you can just turn it on when you get home. Technology for

the
sake of it.

Unless you have a place that takes a few hours to get to a comfortable
temperature...

Or days... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control (Hive,
Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.

That might be fine if you're single and live on your own...

More than one person can remote control the same stat...

Person one is going home early, so switches it on. Person two is going
to be late home, so switches it off.

(Surely you can just turn it on when you get home. Technology for the
sake of it.

Quite.

Reminds me of the BBC Micro/Computer Literacy Project: we
were going to use our home computers to do the accounts, control central
heating and goodness knows what else: a Model B needed a lot of extras
even to do a bit of word processing.)

It didn't need any extras for that.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
If you work varying hours, there's a good case for remote control (Hive,
Nest, etc.) so that you can turn the heating on as you head for home.

That might be fine if you're single and live on your own...

More than one person can remote control the same stat...

Great. You turn it up because you're due home, and your partner turns it
down because is going to be late.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
(Surely you can just turn it on when you get home. Technology for the
sake of it.

Unless you have a place that takes a few hours to get to a comfortable
temperature...

Which is why heating systems have had timers for ages. By taking that away
and relying on doing it manually seems to me a retrograde step.

--
*How's my driving? Call 999*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Reminds me of the BBC Micro/Computer Literacy Project: we were going
to use our home computers to do the accounts, control central heating
and goodness knows what else: a Model B needed a lot of extras even
to do a bit of word processing.)

It didn't need any extras for that.

Except a printer, I suppose.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Reminds me of the BBC Micro/Computer Literacy Project: we were going
to use our home computers to do the accounts, control central heating
and goodness knows what else: a Model B needed a lot of extras even
to do a bit of word processing.)

It didn't need any extras for that.

Except a printer, I suppose.

The printer (and lead) was the easy part. (You could get "near letter
quality" impact dot matrix printers quite cheaply.)

Then you needed the word processor ROM - I think they called it "Word" -
and someone to plug it into the motherboard - if you didn't want to do
it yourself.

Then you had to get a proper monitor, as the TV picture is too fuzzy for
80 columns.

Then a floppy disk drive to save the documents as cassette recorders are
too much of a faff.

But before that you had to get a shop to fit the disk interface - and
The World ran short of the controller chips for a time.

(I had a non-standard interface fitted to mine - which wouldn't load
many of the games you could buy due to anti-piracy routines.)

Actually never did any word processing on mine - its main use was
learning BASIC.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 March 2017 12:23:32 UTC, Max Demian wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

I used to word proces on a BBC long ago. No extras were needed, unless you count the printer & its lead.

Obviously floppies are a big improvement on cassette, but aren't a requirement for WP. I had floppies but never had or used the word rom. No need. These days PC users are often incapable of what was once routine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Reminds me of the BBC Micro/Computer Literacy Project: we were going
to use our home computers to do the accounts, control central heating
and goodness knows what else: a Model B needed a lot of extras even
to do a bit of word processing.)

It didn't need any extras for that.

Except a printer, I suppose.

The printer (and lead) was the easy part. (You could get "near letter
quality" impact dot matrix printers quite cheaply.)

Then you needed the word processor ROM - I think they called it "Word" -
and someone to plug it into the motherboard - if you didn't want to do
it yourself.

Of course - I remember that now. But it might have been possible to load a
different wordprocessor programme in the normal way. However, given the
time that would take, plugging in a ROM made more sense.

Then you had to get a proper monitor, as the TV picture is too fuzzy for
80 columns.

Or a TV which accepted an RGB signal.

Then a floppy disk drive to save the documents as cassette recorders are
too much of a faff.

But before that you had to get a shop to fit the disk interface - and
The World ran short of the controller chips for a time.

(I had a non-standard interface fitted to mine - which wouldn't load
many of the games you could buy due to anti-piracy routines.)

Actually never did any word processing on mine - its main use was
learning BASIC.

I'd thought it was a nice touch that you could expand it to what you
needed. Although much of that a cottage industry.

--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2017 12:23, Max Demian wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Reminds me of the BBC Micro/Computer Literacy Project: we were going
to use our home computers to do the accounts, control central heating
and goodness knows what else: a Model B needed a lot of extras even
to do a bit of word processing.)

It didn't need any extras for that.

Except a printer, I suppose.

The printer (and lead) was the easy part. (You could get "near letter
quality" impact dot matrix printers quite cheaply.)

Depends on when in the BBCs history we are talking about. When they were
relatively new the "cheap" Epson would have been something like the RX80
(although the one people would have really wanted was the FX80, and in
today's money they would have been well over a grand)

--
Cheers,

John.