Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital thermostat as an alternative to Hive

On Sunday, 26 February 2017 19:17:05 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times and temperatures on different days.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend a stat please?

Did that and learnt that:
1. different temps at different predictable times are not wanted
2. smart stats are a usability problem, resulting in poorer energy use IRL
3. They have relatively poor reliability.
Went back to a bimetal stat, gratefully.

NT