Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Digital thermostat as an alternative to Hive

On 26/02/2017 19:17, Murmansk wrote:
I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a new combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The timer is mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude mechanical thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway house I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat with a digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant and set some fancy varying programs via the thermostat - different times and temperatures on different days.

If you do go for a Hive, shop around. This was discussed recently, and I
gather they go for £200+, £9/month and suchlike. Just checked and I got
mine for £130 just before xmas from Amazon.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone recommend a stat please?

Maybe a wireless stat?

--
Cheers, Rob