Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Digital thermostat as an alternative to Hive

On 02/03/2017 22:53, wrote:
On Thursday, 2 March 2017 21:04:20 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/03/2017 12:09, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 26 February 2017 19:17:05 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
I'm soon going to be moving into a new (to me) flat that has a
new combi boiler with an old fashioned wired thermostat. The
timer is mounted on the front of the boiler and is a very crude
mechanical thing with little switches.

Part of me wants to install a Hive system but as a halfway
house I'm wondering about about replacing the basic thermostat
with a digital one - then I could leave the boiler on constant
and set some fancy varying programs via the thermostat -
different times and temperatures on different days.

Does my proposed setup and sound practical and can anyone
recommend a stat please?

Did that and learnt that: 1. different temps at different
predictable times are not wanted

Speak for yourself... I find them quite handy.

Turning the heating off when not around on a regular basis, or
setting it to a lower value when irregularly not there works
perfectly well for me. We've no use for different settings where
we're here.

2. smart stats are a usability problem,

When setting up initially perhaps, but not once set.

I assure you it was.

That does not mean there is a usability problem with all stats, or for
all people. Obviously some are better than others.

Thereafter its just a case of hit an up or down button if you want
to manually jog the temperature up or down.

They also have the advantage that you can't forget to turn them
down again - they will automatically revert to program once they
next time slot is reached.

that approach doesn't work well here.

One size does not fit all.

resulting in poorer energy use IRL 3.

Can't think why. They normally have better accuracy and control
than a bi-metal type. Less overshoot etc.

they do fwliw, but when people can't work out easily how to work them
they don't get adjusted down when it's wanted. Result: more energy
use.

I would expect if you look at the big picture, they will result in
savings overall for the majority who install them. Especially for
households with clear patterns of occupation - with people out at work /
school at standard parts of the day. The stat can remember to setback
the heating during the day without fail, but then have the house warm on
their return. With a manual stat someone has got to remember to do it
every time.

--
Cheers,

John.