Deburring copper pipe

Old March 3rd 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Deburring copper pipe

I bought a deburring tool
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13315) and although there's
only one way it can work - shove it in the pipe, turn - I'm not getting
satisfactory results. The tool does shave off copper, but there is still a
burr. If I continue until there is no burr, I've removed so much copper that
the wall at the cut end of the pipe now tapers from the inside out and is
very thin. In other words the tool removes the 'good' wall of the pipe as
well as the burr.

What am I doing wrong? Is a slight residual burr to be expected when using
this tool? Should I try a different tool? I can file off burrs well enough
but it is time consuming.

If it makes any difference the pipe is standard 22mm copper and I am cutting
it with a Monument auto wheel cutter like this one
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=12380

Thanks

Pete

Old March 3rd 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I must confess I don't have any issues with my ancient 20 year old pipe
cutter. It doesn't leave burrs.
I only have issues when pipe is cut with a hacksaw.

Maybe time for a different cutter?

Old March 3rd 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 13:32:09 -0000, "PM"
wrote:

[...]

Do you mean when the end of the pipe gets turned in slightly when you
use a pipe cutter..??

Could you utilise a round file instead ..

Stuart

Old March 3rd 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
SuitSat wrote:
I must confess I don't have any issues with my ancient 20 year old pipe
cutter. It doesn't leave burrs. I only have issues when pipe is cut with
a hacksaw.

Wheeled cutters leave a rolled over lip, though. That's what the 'V' on
the end of most is used for - to remove it.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old March 3rd 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

PM wrote:
I bought a deburring tool
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13315) and although there's
only one way it can work - shove it in the pipe, turn - I'm not getting
satisfactory results. The tool does shave off copper, but there is still a
burr. If I continue until there is no burr, I've removed so much copper that
the wall at the cut end of the pipe now tapers from the inside out and is
very thin. In other words the tool removes the 'good' wall of the pipe as
well as the burr.

I've never de-burred pipe after using a wheel cutter. No leaks yet...

MBQ

Old March 3rd 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
PM wrote:
I bought a deburring tool
(
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13315) and although there's
only one way it can work - shove it in the pipe, turn - I'm not getting
satisfactory results. The tool does shave off copper, but there is still a
burr. If I continue until there is no burr, I've removed so much copper that
the wall at the cut end of the pipe now tapers from the inside out and is
very thin. In other words the tool removes the 'good' wall of the pipe as
well as the burr.

I've never de-burred pipe after using a wheel cutter. No leaks yet...

MBQ

Don't worry - someone will be along shortly to tell you that your house
is a ticking time bomb and that you'll have leaks everywhere within weeks
Old March 3rd 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Conway wrote:
wrote:
PM wrote:
I bought a deburring tool
(
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13315) and although there's
only one way it can work - shove it in the pipe, turn - I'm not getting
satisfactory results. The tool does shave off copper, but there is still a
burr. If I continue until there is no burr, I've removed so much copper that
the wall at the cut end of the pipe now tapers from the inside out and is
very thin. In other words the tool removes the 'good' wall of the pipe as
well as the burr.

I've never de-burred pipe after using a wheel cutter. No leaks yet...

MBQ

Don't worry - someone will be along shortly to tell you that your house
is a ticking time bomb and that you'll have leaks everywhere within weeks

Probably Drivel with his hacksaw ;-)

MBQ

Old March 3rd 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Conway wrote:
wrote:
PM wrote:
I bought a deburring tool
(
[...]

i think the point of deburring is also to remove loose material which would
overwise go along the pipe until it collects in an appliance
personally i just use a dremel to deburr it

Old March 4th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mindwipe wrote:

i think the point of deburring is also to remove loose material which would
overwise go along the pipe until it collects in an appliance
personally i just use a dremel to deburr it

I have an old penknife.
A quick spin around the inside of the pipe applying pressure with the
thumb shaves the burr clean off.

I found that funny "blade" thing on some wheel cutters can actually
flare the end of the pipe out enough to make the fitting to tight.

I must also admit I don't think I have ever seen a "professional" bother
with removing the internal burr.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Old March 4th 06, 03:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...

PM wrote:
I bought a deburring tool
(http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13315) and although
there's
only one way it can work - shove it in the pipe, turn - I'm not getting
satisfactory results. The tool does shave off copper, but there is still
burr. If I continue until there is no burr, I've removed so much copper
that
the wall at the cut end of the pipe now tapers from the inside out and is
very thin. In other words the tool removes the 'good' wall of the pipe as
well as the burr.

I've never de-burred pipe after using a wheel cutter. No leaks yet...

It closes over the end of the pipe restricting flow and leaving an edge for
crud to gather.