Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Surveillance Experts ? OT

We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera system
.. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera
system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a
minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .

Photo is cheap and possible with a motion-sensor camera from a hunting
store. Usually available for around $20-50 too.

....Presuming he doesn't steal it.

Personally, I like the idea of semi-harmful boobytraps.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from
back yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security
camera system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine .
Late last week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the
video . Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record
video of any and every one who enters my yard . I want quad
real-time display , and a minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .

Photo is cheap and possible with a motion-sensor camera from a hunting
store. Usually available for around $20-50 too.

...Presuming he doesn't steal it.

I'm leaning more towards a system that will record the images on a comp
HDD . Got an external 60Gb setup that I can use , currently has backups on
it , but I got lots more drives that data can be saved on .

Personally, I like the idea of semi-harmful boobytraps.

So do I . Non-lethal , I could say more but I won't .

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wannabe Machinist

How exactly do you machine wannabe anyhow? I've heard it's similar to cold
folded aluminum...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/31/2010 7:58 AM, Snag wrote:
We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

An old computer, a few decent webcams, a couple large harddrives
(depending on the quality and type of files being saved) and some
opensourced software and your set..

ZoneMinder is one app that comes to mind.. I know there's plenty more
out there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Wannabe Machinist

How exactly do you machine wannabe anyhow? I've heard it's similar
to cold folded aluminum...

It's kind of a word play on my lack of formal training and experience . I'm
mostly self-taught , as may be evidenced by the pile of chipped and broken
end mills and burned HSS lathe bits ...
--
Snag
Got Guns ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/31/2010 6:58 AM, Snag wrote:
We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

This looks good:

http://download.cnet.com/WebCam-Moni...-10371995.html

--
I can see November from my front porch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .

geeks.com has some reasonably priced equipment:

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Anderson wrote:
On 8/31/2010 3:58 AM, Snag wrote:

Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any
and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a
minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .

Maybe something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/CCTV-8-SECURITY-CAMERA-w-4-CHANNEL-H-264-DVR-CARD-CH-/380259737993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58893f 2189

I bought one of these from this seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160457547947

Had an internal theft problem at home, bought this to catch the perp.
Before it arrived, the suspected guilty party decided to go live with
their mother full time. Been too busy to give it any sort of test. Has
the advantage of being self contained and fairly easily moved from
location to location. Disadvantage that if the perp spots it, it's easy
to steal...

Jon

Get a couple of the dummy surveillance cams, about 15 bucks each, which
will get the idiot's attention while he/she is being imaged by the
real one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/31/2010 4:58 AM, Snag wrote:
We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .

Consider hardening your system against power failure,
would be my advice.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark F wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:
? On 8/31/2010 3:58 AM, Snag wrote:
?
?? Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
?? Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any
?? and
?? every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a
?? minimum
?? of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .
?
?
? Maybe something like this?
? ?http://cgi.ebay.com/CCTV-8-SECURITY-...m58893f 2189?
?
?
? I bought one of these from this seller:
? ?http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=160457547947?
?
? Had an internal theft problem at home, bought this to catch the perp.
? Before it arrived, the suspected guilty party decided to go live with
? their mother full time. Been too busy to give it any sort of test. Has
? the advantage of being self contained and fairly easily moved from
? location to location. Disadvantage that if the perp spots it, it's easy
? to steal...
?
? Jon

Get a couple of the dummy surveillance cams, about 15 bucks each, which
will get the idiot's attention while he/she is being imaged by the
real one.

It takes a real moron to not know the difference. There are lots of
cheap or dead real cameras floating around. A guy had a couple hundred
2/3" vidicon cameras for a couple dollars each at a flea market a month
ago.

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

It's kind of a word play on my lack of formal training and experience .
I'm mostly self-taught , as may be evidenced by the pile of chipped and
broken end mills and burned HSS lathe bits ...
--
Snag
Got Guns ?

So, you didn't learn somebody else's bad habits and had a really good
teacher that was genuinely interested in his student.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

I had a similar problem with kids taking a shortcut
through my backyard and knocking over my woodpile
in the process.

I looked around the garage and found an old airhorn
and a plunger style air valve. I rigged a fish
line tripwire the length of the fence connected to
the valve and the horn. One blast is all it took...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera
system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a
minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

When I was getting broken into on a weekly basis I strung some .020"
Stainless Steel wire between some machines at ankle height and had piles of
wire trimmings in strategic locations. The intent was to "porcupine" the
intruder's face. The union screamed bloody murder and made me remove them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

It's kind of a word play on my lack of formal training and
experience . I'm mostly self-taught , as may be evidenced by the
pile of chipped and broken end mills and burned HSS lathe bits ...
--
Snag
Got Guns ?

So, you didn't learn somebody else's bad habits and had a really good
teacher that was genuinely interested in his student.

Came up with a set of my very own bad habits ... and as far as a good
teacher , y'all here had a hand in what I learned .

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Snag wrote:

We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from
back yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security
camera system . A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into
my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine .
Late last week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the
video . Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record
video of any and every one who enters my yard . I want quad
real-time display , and a minimum of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel
recording capability would be nice .

geeks.com has some reasonably priced equipment:

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID

--

They're one of the more reasonably priced vendors , I've got a couple of
stock numbers written down .

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

Heh , I'm not constrained by a union . Got a little non-lethal surprise that
I set up when I'm going to be away for a while ...
And now that the driveway has a gate , my back yard is completely enclosed
.. Doggie-door time ...
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Winston wrote:
On 8/31/2010 4:58 AM, Snag wrote:
We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from
back yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security
camera system . A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into
my shed/shop and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was
mine .
Late last week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the
video . Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record
video of any and every one who enters my yard . I want quad
real-time display , and a minimum of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel
recording capability would be nice .

Consider hardening your system against power failure,
would be my advice.

--Winston

Something I hadn't considered ... thanks .

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP wrote:
http://www.active-vision.com/Default.asp

They have some nice stuff . A little out of my budget , looks like they
lean towards retail security .

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:45:45 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Ive got a 12gauge. One blast is all it takes.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/31/2010 11:14 AM, Snag wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

Consider hardening your system against power failure,
would be my advice.

--Winston

Something I hadn't considered ... thanks .

My recent break-in was done by a guy who turned off the main
breaker first. He figured my security system was powered
exclusively by the AC line, apparently.

Heh.

--Winston
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Snag" wrote in message
ATP wrote:
http://www.active-vision.com/Default.asp

They have some nice stuff . A little out of my budget , looks like they
lean towards retail security .

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

They have some cheap stuff, too. Very competitive prices.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote:

We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .

You might want to look into game cameras with IR lighting. I've never used one so take my
suggestion with caution.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:55:43 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

*Snip*

A guy had a couple hundred
2/3" vidicon cameras for a couple dollars each at a flea market a month
ago.

Stolen?

H. :
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Mark F wrote:

Jon Anderson wrote:
? On 8/31/2010 3:58 AM, Snag wrote:
?
[...]

is anybody going to believe that some vidicon based camera with the fake
wood panelling case is real or even still works?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
? Snag wrote:
??
[...]
? --

They're one of the more reasonably priced vendors , I've got a couple of
stock numbers written down .

They just sold out of their two and four input video cards. I paid
$12 for a four input a few weeks ago.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Howard Eisenhauer wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:55:43 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
? wrote:

*Snip*
?
? A guy had a couple hundred
?2/3" vidicon cameras for a couple dollars each at a flea market a month
?ago.

Stolen?

Pulled from service & replaced with CCD cameras. It was cheaper,
when you guarantee a low downtime. No one would bother to steal old
Vidicon cameras, these days. Most that I've picked up used had bad
electrolytics in the power supply. A $2 to $5 repair.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Buerste wrote:

"Snag" ? wrote in message
?
?
[...]

Inside job?

enough left over to pay them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Now Gunner's making death threats to teenagers. Very smooth.

If sent, I will crush everything you have built,

Sure as long as everything you have built is made from beer cans.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
snip
Ive got a 12gauge. One blast is all it takes.

Now Gunner's making death threats to teenagers. Very smooth.

Typical, you assume a blast in the air is not what was intended. Seems you
have some violence issues to work out. Get therapy!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Buerste wrote:

"Snag" ? wrote in message
?
?
.
? Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any
and
? every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a
? minimum
? of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .
? --
? Snag
? Wannabe Machinist
?

When I was getting broken into on a weekly basis I strung some .020"
Stainless Steel wire between some machines at ankle height and had piles
of
wire trimmings in strategic locations. The intent was to "porcupine" the
intruder's face. The union screamed bloody murder and made me remove
them.

Inside job?

Usually a buddy of an employee. The guy on the video I had knew exactly
where to go and how to turn off the cameras. I haven't had a break in for a
very long time now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 19:14:33 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
snip
Ive got a 12gauge. One blast is all it takes.

Now Gunner's making death threats to teenagers. Very smooth.

Typical, you assume a blast in the air is not what was intended. Seems you
have some violence issues to work out. Get therapy!

Indeed. Isnt it fascinating what a fantasy world SucksRangers lives in?

Too bad its so filled with his hate, bias and bigotry. And on top of
being mentally ill..its obvious to everyone that he is incredibly
stupid.

Pity his mother hadnt aborted him when she should have.
Im sure she has regretted that decision for many years.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:48:56 -0400, "Buerste"
scribed:

"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

Hah! I had some middle school kids grabbing my Netflix DVD's out of my
mailbox, so I put a couple of medium sized snapping mouse traps in the
box... Painted red, near the back... One kid got snapped. His mom
screamed bloody murder at me too until I explained that mail theft is
a Felony, and her little criminal was doing it... She backed off
straight away!

OBTW: I told my wonderful mail deliverer before hand so she did not
get snapped. She thought it a great idea!

Never had a problem since...

Fred III

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

We've got a little punk in the 'hood that likes to take stuff from back
yards and sheds , and I'm shopping for an affordable security camera
system
. A couple of weeks ago this little asshole went into my shed/shop
and took a laptop comp - my old one , not much but it was mine . Late last
week a neighbor chased him out of my yard again ...
Wired or wireless , and I have a comp with extra storage for the video .
Sound isn't necessary , I just want to capture and record video of any and
every one who enters my yard . I want quad real-time display , and a
minimum
of 30 fps (ntsc) per channel recording capability would be nice .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

I use 2 video capture/TV/PVR cards. the night vision cam is a Swann. The
software is freeware, HSSVSS. Works for me. I do have a proper DVR card, but
it wants an Intel machine, and mine are all AMD based. A BNC to RCA adapter
is needed.

Steve R.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
snip
Ive got a 12gauge. One blast is all it takes.

Now Gunner's making death threats to teenagers. Very smooth.

Typical, you assume a blast in the air is not what was intended. Seems
you
have some violence issues to work out. Get therapy!

Indeed. Isnt it fascinating what a fantasy world SucksRangers lives in?

Too bad its so filled with his hate, bias and bigotry. And on top of
being mentally ill..its obvious to everyone that he is incredibly
stupid.

Pity his mother hadnt aborted him when she should have.
Im sure she has regretted that decision for many years.

Gunner

I am pro-life...but there are exceptions. Is it too late for his mommy to
abort him?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 02:50:01 -0400, "Buerste"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
snip
Ive got a 12gauge. One blast is all it takes.

Now Gunner's making death threats to teenagers. Very smooth.

Typical, you assume a blast in the air is not what was intended. Seems
you
have some violence issues to work out. Get therapy!

Indeed. Isnt it fascinating what a fantasy world SucksRangers lives in?

Too bad its so filled with his hate, bias and bigotry. And on top of
being mentally ill..its obvious to everyone that he is incredibly
stupid.

Pity his mother hadnt aborted him when she should have.
Im sure she has regretted that decision for many years.

Gunner

I am pro-life...but there are exceptions. Is it too late for his mommy to
abort him?

Retroactive is good. After all..its the womans choice.

Does she need to borrow a gun?

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve R. wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

I have a mix of AMD and Intel-based comps , so that's not a problem - though
the one I would like to use is an AMD processor . That's OK though , there's
an Intel machine available for the task . And that one is set up for dual
screens , one of which is my main TV set . Watch 'em on the teevee in real
time , then call the cops to pick up the body . Tennessee has recently made
changes in it's "Castle Doctrine" laws ...

--
Snag
Got Guns ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

It's a good thing they did, Tawm. If the cops had caught you with
that, the perp could have sued the company right out from under you.

I'm still waiting for the vaporizing laser which would reconfigure the
perp's molecules into small puffs of smoke and ash which will waft
away on the wind. Intruder? What intruder?

--
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy
simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.

Surveillance Video ATP Metalworking 10 August 23rd 10 05:54 PM
video surveillance FrankLee Home Repair 23 December 18th 07 01:43 AM
video surveillance FrankLee Home Repair 0 December 16th 07 10:43 PM
Home Surveillance Mike B. Home Repair 4 August 10th 06 03:03 PM
Home Surveillance [email protected] Home Ownership 2 August 9th 06 10:04 PM