Posted to alt.home.repair

Default video surveillance

Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

I have a neighbor who has been periodically vandalizing our property
over the past 3 years. I want to set up a hidden camera system to
record him. The police said they can't do anything unless I catch him
on camera.

He causes a couple hundred $ of damage every year and I afraid for the
safety of my family.

My budget is about $300 but may be willing to go higher. I have a good
working pc I can use for a system.

Any suggestions/ideas helpful.

Thanks,

FrankLee

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FrankLee" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

I have a neighbor who has been periodically vandalizing our property
over the past 3 years. I want to set up a hidden camera system to
record him. The police said they can't do anything unless I catch him
on camera.

He causes a couple hundred $ of damage every year and I afraid for the
safety of my family.

My budget is about $300 but may be willing to go higher. I have a good
working pc I can use for a system.

Any suggestions/ideas helpful.

Thanks,

FrankLee

How has he been vandalizing your property?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 14:43:24 -0800 (PST), FrankLee
wrote:

Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

I have a neighbor who has been periodically vandalizing our property
over the past 3 years. I want to set up a hidden camera system to
record him. The police said they can't do anything unless I catch him
on camera.

He causes a couple hundred $ of damage every year and I afraid for the
safety of my family.

My budget is about $300 but may be willing to go higher. I have a good
working pc I can use for a system.

Any suggestions/ideas helpful.

Thanks,

FrankLee

Why the phuc has this gone on 3 years? You could have shot him and
been out of jail by now!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

I have a neighbor who has been periodically vandalizing our property
over the past 3 years. I want to set up a hidden camera system to
record him. The police said they can't do anything unless I catch him
on camera.

He causes a couple hundred $ of damage every year and I afraid for the
safety of my family.

My budget is about $300 but may be willing to go higher. I have a good
working pc I can use for a system.

Any suggestions/ideas helpful.

Thanks,

FrankLee

Why the phuc has this gone on 3 years? You could have shot him and
been out of jail by now!

Do you know how low quality surveillance film is? You're lucky you can tell
if it's a man or a woman. Most of the ones you see on TV are horrible, and
those are from stores that have cash to spend on good machines. Most of the
people are identified from clothing and other clues that people who know the
suspects recognize.

Look at the laws of your state. You might have the answer to your problems
in your gun closet. And if you DO catch this creep, you're only gonna ****
him off by putting him in jail for a month or until he gets released on his
own recognizance and comes back with a worse attitude. Catch the guy on
your property and give him an attitude adjustment. Or find some Bubba
who'll do it for fifty bucks.

Steve

Hmmm,
If he gets ****ed off, he can become violent escalating the problem.
Sorry you have a neighbor like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Steve B doesn't have a neighbor like that. Who are you talking to?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:49:51 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Why give Bubba all the fun? I'd get too much pleasure blasting his
head off with my shotgun. Make sure you kill him, else he'll come
back and sue you. You can try motion detectors with flood
lamps--vandals don't want to be seen. A pit bull or Doberman can help
too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:49:51 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

. ..

****
him off by putting him in jail for a month or until he gets released on
his
own recognizance and comes back with a worse attitude. Catch the guy on
your property and give him an attitude adjustment. Or find some Bubba
who'll do it for fifty bucks.

Steve

Why give Bubba all the fun? I'd get too much pleasure blasting his
head off with my shotgun. Make sure you kill him, else he'll come
back and sue you. You can try motion detectors with flood
lamps--vandals don't want to be seen. A pit bull or Doberman can help
too.

Yeah, but then, you'd have something worse than a vandal: A dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:49:51 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

(g) When did I care about ****ing a creep off?

I have my own take down method.

He won't need OR, or a court. My justice ; just might be immediate.

I do my own adjustments - deadly or not. I keep the castle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 00:12:21 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

I'd get too much pleasure blasting his
head off with my shotgun. Make sure you kill him, else he'll come
back and sue you.

Is there another way to kill him?

Lord forbid I get sued.

Honest truth, a Nigerian Prince sued me. Yes I have papers.

It was fist over guns)
Posted to alt.home.repair

FrankLee wrote:

Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

I have a neighbor who has been periodically vandalizing our property
over the past 3 years. I want to set up a hidden camera system to
record him. The police said they can't do anything unless I catch
him on camera.

He causes a couple hundred $ of damage every year and I afraid for
the safety of my family.

My budget is about $300 but may be willing to go higher. I have a
good working pc I can use for a system.

I suggest an inexpensive homemade system. You need:

1) A regular personal desktop computer. You need 1600 mhz CPU or
better IMHO. Larger hard disks are preferred. Note, you can get
Western Digital 320 gig harddrives at Newegg.com for less than $100.

2) A camera interface board for the computer. These are commonly
called a DVR board. An excellent value interface board is the 4400R
or clones.

Look here for a 4400R clone for $80:

http://www.inesun.com/search.php?keys=es416&series=0

3) A software surveillance package. The best of class that I've found
is Go1984: http://www.go1984.de/en/order.html

Buy the "standard" edition. Make damn sure you enable time and date
stamping on the recording (very easy to do).

4) Analog cameras that hook up to the interface board. I use hi-res
black and white Sony's. Some people prefer color. There are tons of
different types available cheap. Google "surveillance camera".

You can hide all cameras for a covert operation. Alternatively, have
one visible camera and covert cams watching the visible cam(s) and
other areas too.

I have a mix of visible and invisible cams in my system. It's
interesting to video people intentionally avoiding the visible
camera.

If you pick an choose -- and already have a good personal computer --
you should be able to keep costs between $300 and $400. Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"FrankLee" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

I have a neighbor who has been periodically vandalizing our property
over the past 3 years. I want to set up a hidden camera system to
record him. The police said they can't do anything unless I catch him
on camera.

He causes a couple hundred $ of damage every year and I afraid for the
safety of my family.

My budget is about $300 but may be willing to go higher. I have a good
working pc I can use for a system.

Any suggestions/ideas helpful.

Thanks,

FrankLee

You can get a cheap USB webcam that comes with software that will start
recording when motion is detected. The quality of the recording isn't going
to be the greatest but if you clever enough you can place the webcam
somewhere near. That would be the cheapest system I can think of. Logitech
or Creative both make cameras and have motion detecting software, or get 3rd
party software, lots of them are free downloads.
www.creative.com
http://us.creative.com/products/welc...T.mc_i d=8862
www.logitech.com http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/176/3975&cl=us,en or
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we...cams/&cl=us,en

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Right. So you either eliminate him 100% or give him an offer he can't
refuse.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:49:51 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

And if it's on castle property, there's NO instant replay. No refunds. No
rain checks. Over. Finito. Done with. End of case. Period. At least in
the two states I live in.

I love people who are stupid enough to enter into such situations. Sounds
like this guy is a contender. The state is the question. In Texas, he'd be
dead as a cabbage head jellyfish at high tide. (Putting it in terms even
Texans can understand.) In California, the homeowner would probably get the
death penalty. Just depends.

Knowing the law and your rights WHERE YOU LIVE can be a very good thing.
Defending yourself and your property are actions that have long range
repercussions and are not to be taken lightly. But knowing what you can and
can NOT do is imperative.

And if you live in a state where criminal rights are more important than
homeowner law abiding voter citizen rights are, then a move may be in your
future. Depends on you. What are you willing to live with?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 17, 6:39 am, Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:49:51 -0800, "SteveB"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I charge $75
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Try www.supercircuts.com they have everything
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Dec 17, 6:39 am, Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:49:51 -0800, "SteveB"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

We've used "Keepsafer" for years. I don't know if they are still around
because we've never had any cause to contact them. We are very satisfied
with their system.

--
JC from Gnat Flats

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've considered trying to get a remote camera for my condo patio. I
don't know much about electronics, but I
have read that remote camera can interfere with neighbors TV and/or
radio. It would have to be motion sensor,
I guess. I have no idea what to look for in terms of quality,
sensitivity, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

On what do you base that slam on California. I served in fire and
rescue in California for ten years. I attended two self defense
shootings during that period and I didn't even get deposed let alone
have to testify. Both cretins were shot while on the premises of a
domicile during the hours of darkness. The ghost story that you always
here about you have to drag them back inside is nonsense in most western
states.
--
Tom Horne
Posted to alt.home.repair

"FrankLee" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

I have a neighbor who has been periodically vandalizing our property
over the past 3 years. I want to set up a hidden camera system to
record him. The police said they can't do anything unless I catch him
on camera.

He causes a couple hundred $ of damage every year and I afraid for the
safety of my family.

My budget is about $300 but may be willing to go higher. I have a good
working pc I can use for a system.

Any suggestions/ideas helpful.

Thanks,

FrankLee

Get some motion lights....10.00 per fixture at Wallyworld.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:34:49 -0600, "J.A. Michel"
wrote:

"FrankLee" wrote in message
Does anybody know of a good home video surveillance system?

I have a neighbor who has been periodically vandalizing our property
over the past 3 years. I want to set up a hidden camera system to
record him. The police said they can't do anything unless I catch him
on camera.

He causes a couple hundred $ of damage every year and I afraid for the
safety of my family.

My budget is about $300 but may be willing to go higher. I have a good
working pc I can use for a system.

Any suggestions/ideas helpful.

Thanks,

FrankLee

Get some motion lights....10.00 per fixture at Wallyworld.

He is up about $600.00 now. Motions lights will allow the guy to see
better in the dark, if that's when he does his deeds.

OP why 3 years of tolerance?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:16:07 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Don't let the facts interfere with the rightin' of a good report!

;-/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tom Horne" wrote

On what do you base that slam on California.

Tom Horne

I base it on the liberal attitude in California, and that they have no
reciprocity on CCFs. I also base it on a couple of friends who were honest
citizens, but reamed by the legal system for carrying guns in their cars
under circumstances that didn't meet the law. (basic transportation of guns
from one point to another.)

Steve