How much hot water does a dishwasher use?

Old March 26th 05, 04:43 AM
Harry Everhart

Default How much hot water does a dishwasher use?

I have a standard dishwasher in my kitchen. I am curious how much hot
water it uses to do a load of dishes. The dishwasher was bought less
than a year ago.
Old March 26th 05, 05:18 AM
[email protected]

The instruction manual I have for mine...over 10 years old...says how
much mine uses for the different cycles.

Old March 26th 05, 05:24 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message
I have a standard dishwasher in my kitchen. I am curious how much hot
water it uses to do a load of dishes. The dishwasher was bought less
than a year ago.

I've seen wildly varying figures from 2 to 20 gallons, but the newer ones
seem to be closer to 5. The maker seem to be vague on the matter.

From the Whirlpool web page:
Do I use more water hand washing or using a dishwasher?
You use 2 times as much water by hand-washing dishes. It
costs about 15 cents per load to use your dishwasher and about 2 cents per
load to use the dry cycle.

From www.joe.org
The average water use per dishwasher cycle decreased from a
range of 11-15 gallons per normal cycle in 1978 (Garrett, 1978) to 6-10
gallons per normal cycle in 2000 (Soap and Detergent Association [SDA],
2000). Despite the fact dishwashers are designed to be resource efficient,
other significant determining factors on resource usage are the result of
decisions of the consumer.

Attached Images

Old March 26th 05, 05:27 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
The instruction manual I have for mine...over 10 years old...says how
much mine uses for the different cycles.

That's good to know. How does that help the OP though? Most manuals today
do not give that information.

Old March 26th 05, 05:39 AM
[email protected]

He didn't say which one he has. He didn't say that he read the manual and could
not find any information. He really didn't give much information now did he?

Old March 26th 05, 05:40 AM
Appliance Repair Aid

Harry Everhart wrote:
I have a standard dishwasher in my kitchen. I am curious how much hot

water it uses to do a load of dishes. The dishwasher was bought less
than a year ago.

Hi,

I have a standard dishwasher in my kitchen.

That doesn't narrow it down much
Make, model#??
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

I am curious how much hot
water it uses to do a load of dishes.

Makes, models will vary from d/w to d/w. The use&care manual that came
with the d/w may have the gallons per cycles used ( EG: rince and hold,
Reg, Pots and pans, etc ).

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Old March 26th 05, 07:10 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
He didn't say which one he has. He didn't say that he read the manual and
could
not find any information. He really didn't give much information now did
he?

No, he did not, but your answer was no help at all was it? When I was
buying a new DW last year I checked a few manuals from different bands that
I was considering. Not one of them had water use ratings. If you had said
my old machine state it uses from 5 to 7 gallons, depending on cycle, that
would have been of some use. Most brands have manuals available on line if
you care to check them out.

Old March 26th 05, 02:37 PM
Kevin Ricks

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message
I have a standard dishwasher in my kitchen. I am curious how much hot
water it uses to do a load of dishes. The dishwasher was bought less
than a year ago.

Have you checked Consumer Reports? They sometimes give info like that.
If you want to really know then unhook the drain tube and run a load into a
couple of 5 gal buckets. Repeat for each of the different cycle options.
Probably be interesting to do even if you did find the manufactures claims.
Are you more concerned with just water usage or 'hot' water consumption? If
I anticipate running out of hot water from showers and laundry etc., then I
will run the dishwasher last. My DW will heat the incoming water with the
heating elements if not hot enough.

Kevin

Old March 26th 05, 02:50 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Harry Everhart wrote:

I have a standard dishwasher in my kitchen. I am curious how much hot
water it uses to do a load of dishes. The dishwasher was bought less
than a year ago.

I saw this info yesterday and it took me awhile to figure out where I
saw it. Here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/4qzcr
The info comes from:
http://www.aquaamerica.com/

/J
--
ASC: Born to Herf '05: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/sponsors.htm
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
Copper pipe sizing. Is bigger better? Paul J Home Repair 19 February 29th 04 08:52 PM
AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 7 January 25th 04 08:43 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 10:59 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 29th 03 12:59 AM