Harry Everhart

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
I've seen wildly varying figures from 2 to 20 gallons, but the newer ones
seem to be closer to 5. The maker seem to be vague on the matter.
From the Whirlpool web page:
Do I use more water hand washing or using a dishwasher?
You use 2 times as much water by hand-washing dishes. It
costs about 15 cents per load to use your dishwasher and about 2 cents per
load to use the dry cycle.

Thanks Ed -
I am sorry I was not more specific. The dishwasher is a Whirlpool Gold
that I installed in 2004. I was in bed and could not go check the model
last night :-)

The reason I am asking is because I am planning to replace two big
electric water heaters - with maybe one one or two smaller gas or
electric units. My kitchen is on one end of a 90 foot house and my
bathrooms on the other end. But through poor engineering - the water
heater near the kitchen services the bathrooms on the other end of the
house.

I am planning to put one tankless water heater right next to my shower
and then run a 1/2 insulated line "up and over 100 feet" to the sink and
dishwasher in the kitchen.

Another option is to put one of those little 2.5 gallon water heaters
under the sink next to the dishwasher. Just a thought. It is foolish for
my wife and I to be heating two giant tanks of water - 24 hours a day -
for two shower - a load of laundry - and a load of dishes.

Harry