Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Cline Mike Cline is offline

Default How much hot water does a dishwasher use?

replying to Harry Everhart, Mike Cline wrote:
harry wrote:

Thanks Ralph -
I will use 11 gallons as a guide per load. If that is the case - then a
2.5 gallon electric water heater will not serve it well. I presently
have a 50 gallon water heater serving just a kitchen sink and dishwasher
- silly - I know. I want to replace it.
Harry

I have a Whirlpool Gold dishwasher and 2.7 Gal under sink hot water
heater. What I have found is that the washer uses about 3 gallons per
phase of a cycle, but the phases are not evenly timed. The first rinse
cycle uses all the hot water, and the under sink unit has not quite
recovered by the time the wash cycle starts just several minutes later and
again uses all the hot water. Bottom line is that the washer gets enough
hot water though with some cold mixed in, but it does completely deplete
your hot water supply with each fill. By the way, the partial recovery
time for the 2.7 gallon water heater is only a minute or so before it will
start delivering small quantities of hot water again, for washing hands,
etc. Our washer has a rinse and wash fill in rapid succession, a long
wash period where it also additionally heats the water, and then one (or
two) final rinse cycles.