Posted to alt.home.repair

Default To Roundup or not Roundup

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote in
m:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Use the Roundup and wait. If you don't, you are guaranteed to eventually
have weeds like you wouldn't believe.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/11 9:09 PM, Tegger wrote:
Kurt wrote in
m:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Use the Roundup and wait. If you don't, you are guaranteed to eventually
have weeds like you wouldn't believe.

I doubt Roundup will do much good. It has to be sprayed directly on
the plant as I remember. There are some pre emerge herbicides that
farmers use. The names of those escape me now. You might try the
local seed supply place for suggestions.
Weeds will grow as long as there is no shade. Some seeds have
germinated after literally decades of storage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:19:28 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 6/27/11 9:09 PM, Tegger wrote:
Kurt wrote in
m:

[...]

Turn the soil - let ig green up, roundup, turn again, let green up,
roundup, turn and seed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/2011 8:21 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

you could nuke it and throw seed the same day. Roundup doesn't hurt seed.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

If you till the soil once, then let seedlings sprout, and till again,
all plant matter will be dead and you won't have to use roundup. Any new
unwanted growth will be from seeds that blow in from other areas, and
roundup will have no effect on that process anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
On 6/27/11 9:09 PM, Tegger wrote:
Kurt wrote in
m:

[...]

Start at a local nursery. Note I did not say WalMart Garden Section, nor
Home Depot. Preen is a pre emergent herbicide that works well when applied
at the right season. Roundup is good, too, but has to be sprayed on the
plant. It is neutralized when it reaches the soil, hence you are not
killing the soil for a year or two. But yes, kill it out, then plant.
Tilling helps to get out the roots, too. You can simply spray the fresh
tilled soil to hit the roots. Spray and wait then hoe or rake. Takes a
while, but the time and effort will come back to you later.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Cover with black plastic for a few good hot days to bake the soil? Can
also apply specialty soil fumigants under the plastic. As someone noted,
Roundup has to be applied to actual plants, not soil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 7:41 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was
deeded to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant
"regular" grass instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was
still farm field. I have hoed the area that I am planting this time
to bare ground. I am trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and
plant the new grass or if I should nuke the area with Roundup and
then wait about 4 weeks before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Since the ground is bare, Roundup will do nothing.

A pre-emergent herbicide could help. If the area is sunny, so would staking
down some black plastic over the area and letting it cook the ground for a
month or so.

Good advice. Cook in summer, reseed in early fall. Worry about weeds
next year. Eliminating every weed and bug is not advised ) We use
insane amounts of poison on our lawns and gardens; better to leave at
least some area to native plants and trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

If you till the soil once, then let seedlings sprout, and till again,
all plant matter will be dead and you won't have to use roundup. Any new
unwanted growth will be from seeds that blow in from other areas, and
roundup will have no effect on that process anyway.

Is hoeing considered tilling in this case or do I need to actually
rent something?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Kurt Ullman wrote in
:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was
deeded to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant
"regular" grass instead of the stuff that planted itself when it
was still farm field. I have hoed the area that I am planting this
time to bare ground. I am trying to decide if I just want to go
ahead and plant the new grass or if I should nuke the area with
Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks before I start on the grass.
Any suggestions?

If you till the soil once, then let seedlings sprout, and till again,
all plant matter will be dead and you won't have to use roundup. Any
new unwanted growth will be from seeds that blow in from other areas,
and roundup will have no effect on that process anyway.

Is hoeing considered tilling in this case or do I need to actually
rent something?

Just saw a facebook page where strawbaling was used to kill weeds etc.
Second link when you google "hoeing and tilling". I have no idea whether
you are talking 20x30 feet, 200x300 feet or 2x3 miles of land. We killed
the lawn in front of our first home by covering with newspaper. Worked
just fine, and we got a very nice front garden. The next owners of
course promptly took all our nice plants out and made it a lawn, but we
had 18 years of a nice front flower garden. No chemicals other than
mulch.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Pete C." wrote in news:4e09c67a$0$32628
:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Cover with black plastic for a few good hot days to bake the soil? Can
also apply specialty soil fumigants under the plastic. As someone noted,
Roundup has to be applied to actual plants, not soil.

As Normie said, leave some native plants. Wife's philosophy: Perennials
are better. I'll try anything,preferably native or native-like. If it
grows, be kind to it. If it doesn't, too bad, onwards with the next plant.
Just be careful with invasive plants, such as mints.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"dadiOH" wrote in :

Han wrote:

As Normie said, leave some native plants. Wife's philosophy:
Perennials are better. I'll try anything,preferably native or
native-like.

Would you like a few thousand dog fennel?

No, thanks. Tried and discarded, even before we moved to the US in '69.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

If you till the soil once, then let seedlings sprout, and till again,
all plant matter will be dead and you won't have to use roundup. Any new
unwanted growth will be from seeds that blow in from other areas, and
roundup will have no effect on that process anyway.

Is hoeing considered tilling in this case or do I need to actually
rent something?

Hoeing is considered tilling, as long as it's thorough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 8:49 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
Smitty wrote:

In articlePKWdnZ99uLglsZTTnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
Kurt wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

If you till the soil once, then let seedlings sprout, and till again,
all plant matter will be dead and you won't have to use roundup. Any new
unwanted growth will be from seeds that blow in from other areas, and
roundup will have no effect on that process anyway.

Is hoeing considered tilling in this case or do I need to actually
rent something?

Hoeing is tilling "lite"...tearing up sod, breaking it apart and
levelling soil is heavy labor ) The average roto-tiller can't do it
well, but a heavy one can. The black plastic approach, or simply
putting down heavy mulch (all of next fall's leaves) might make it
plantable in the following spring. Or try a cheat...buy a few hostas,
plant them here and there, and wait...they grow almost everywhere, shade
out most weeds, and make for a nice low-maintenance bed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Hi,
I'd plant wild flowers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote:
[snip] We killed the lawn in front of our first home by covering with
newspaper. Worked just fine, and we got a very nice front garden.
The next owners of course promptly took all our nice plants out and
made it a lawn, but we had 18 years of a nice front flower garden.
No chemicals other than mulch.

I've seen people around here using cardboard held down with rocks or cinder
blocks. Looks like %&!#, but it works.

Depending on the size of the area, I'd just pull up the turf.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Hi,
I'd plant wild flowers.

The wife wants grass. So grass we get (grin)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In m,
Kurt Ullman typed:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot
that was deeded to me recently. I have a few areas that I
want to plant "regular" grass instead of the stuff that
planted itself when it was still farm field. I have hoed
the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I
am trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant
the new grass or if I should nuke the area with Roundup
and then wait about 4 weeks before I start on the grass.
Any suggestions?

Try reading the instructions on the product!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:21:59 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was
deeded to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant
"regular" grass instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was
still farm field. I have hoed the area that I am planting this time
to bare ground. I am trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and
plant the new grass or if I should nuke the area with Roundup and
then wait about 4 weeks before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

So far I'm the only one thinking of using a propane torch :-/

$20 @ HF -- hook it to you propane tank -- scorched earth policy

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

I've seen tomato farmers burn large acreage with torches to kill
weeds, etc..

Torches may just kill to the roots, leaving them to resprout.

"Weed burner" use is illegal here in Seattle, maybe elsewhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2011 6:41 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was
deeded to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant
"regular" grass instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was
still farm field. I have hoed the area that I am planting this time
to bare ground. I am trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and
plant the new grass or if I should nuke the area with Roundup and
then wait about 4 weeks before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Since the ground is bare, Roundup will do nothing.

A pre-emergent herbicide could help. If the area is sunny, so would staking
down some black plastic over the area and letting it cook the ground for a
month or so.

Most pre-emergent herbicides will also kill the sprouting grass seed.

This is a two-step task: seeding and weed control. The OP has to
decide which one to do first. Since we're headed into the hottest time
of the year, I'd suggest waiting a month or so anyway to start the
lawn, and it sounds like that's what he planned to do anyway. If he
wants to hit emerging weeds in the meantime with Roundup or Finale,
that'd be okay. Broadleaved-only weedkillers persist in the soil for
several weeks, so he should avoid using those. If he wants to use a
pre-emergent, he'll need to look for one that won't harm grass
seedlings. Not all that easy to find, and it's a good bit more expensive.

I'd not worry too much about weed control for the time being. If it's
a smaller area, the weeds can be prevented by laying a barrier over
the area. When he's ready to seed, he can remove the barrier (I have
some old tarps I keep for this), apply a starter fertilizer, and seed
or sod. Once the grass is up and has been mowed at least three times,
he can safely apply a weedkiller if he needs to do so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
m...
In article ,
Tony Hwang wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was
deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field.
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Hi, I'd plant wild flowers.

The wife wants grass. So grass we get (grin)

Then you should also let her mow the grass..
:-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
On 6/27/11 9:09 PM, Tegger wrote:
Kurt wrote in
m:

[...]

Why? All of the stores above have both products that you mentioned,
including Roundup which is the suitable one.

Preen is a pre emergent herbicide that works well when applied at the right
season.

This pre-emergent is equally effective against the grass seed he wants to
plant, meaning it will not grow.

Roundup is good, too, but has to be sprayed on the
plant. It is neutralized when it reaches the soil, hence you are not
killing the soil for a year or two. But yes, kill it out, then plant.
Tilling helps to get out the roots, too. You can simply spray the fresh
tilled soil to hit the roots. Spray and wait then hoe or rake. Takes a
while, but the time and effort will come back to you later.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was
deeded to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant
"regular" grass instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was
still farm field. I have hoed the area that I am planting this time
to bare ground. I am trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and
plant the new grass or if I should nuke the area with Roundup and
then wait about 4 weeks before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Since the ground is bare, Roundup will do nothing.

A pre-emergent herbicide could help. If the area is sunny, so would
staking
down some black plastic over the area and letting it cook the ground for
month or so.

Most pre-emergent herbicides will also kill the sprouting grass seed.

Finally, some sanity.

[...]

All sound advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was
deeded to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant
"regular" grass instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was
still farm field. I have hoed the area that I am planting this time
to bare ground. I am trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and
plant the new grass or if I should nuke the area with Roundup and
then wait about 4 weeks before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

So far I'm the only one thinking of using a propane torch :-/

$20 @ HF -- hook it to you propane tank -- scorched earth policy

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

I've seen tomato farmers burn large acreage with torches to kill
weeds, etc..

Torches may just kill to the roots, leaving them to resprout.

Exactly. I was recently looking to buy one of the propane based torches for
a slightly different application and was
amazed at how many people think they are a good solution for weeds in
pavers, driveway cracks, etc. I agree with you, a torch will burn the top
of the plant and in many cases the roots survive and the plant comes back.
Compare that approach to using one of the extended duration vegetation
killers, eg Roundup extended, which not only kills the whole thing, but
prevents any new seeds from germinating for a couple months.

I was looking for the propane torch to burn off the remaining short DEAD
weeds in a rock bed after killing them first with Roundup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/27/2011 9:21 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

I didn't see "little" in the OP; how little is "little"? A 10'x10'
might be little in a large lawn, but it's getting big when you start
cultivating....Whatever means you use to kill grass/weeds now, you still
need to deal with sod (roots) before you smooth the soil and plant
seeds. You will also have some weed seed that continues to germinate
for two to three years, but is relatively easy to deal with later. In
most areas, this is not ideal time of year to plant grass seed, but is
doable if you mulch lightly with straw and water lightly and often.
Roundup now will kill most of what is presently growing, but leaves
tilling to be done to get rid of roots/sod before you seed, and by the
time all present growth is "dead", you likely will have more weed seed
germinated. So, what I'm trying to say is that tilling, chopping,
pulling out most roots by hand, then raking and seeding without Roundup
will probably be as practical as using Roundup. Sod might be more
practical than seeding, but still must be cared for until it takes root;
not very expensive for DIY.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 10:38:14 -0400, "
wrote:

[...]

You definitely want to run at LEAST two cycles of green and kill
before either sodding or seeding, or you will be fighting a constant
battle with weeds.

"burn" it down with roundup, then till and remove as much rood matter
as possible by raking - wait for it to green up again (water it if it
doesn't rain) then hit it with roundup again to kill it, and till it
again - removing as much root material as possible. If it greened up
relatively quickly first time around, you might want to let it go one
more time around before seeding. If you are sodding, a pre-emergent
herbicide in the tilled soil as you rake it down just before laying
the sod would be good insurance, as it will kill any seeds still in
the soil, without affecting the root system of the sod.

I didn't have that option when I renovated my yard a few years back
because I chose to seed instead of sod.

Penny wise and pound foolish.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chet" wrote:

All of the stores above have both products that you mentioned,
including Roundup which is the suitable one.

You do need to be observant with the Roundup - they come in all different
concentrations from ready-mix to 45%.The higherconcentrations tend to be less
expensive on an after adding water basis.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chet" wrote:

many people think they are a good solution for weeds in
pavers, driveway cracks, etc.

Plus torches are crap on green weeds - they work fine on dried/brown weeds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 27, 6:21*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

I'm with the respondents who advised "baking" the area with black
plastic. But it should be left on more than "a few days"unless you
are in a terrible hurry.
I hate Monsanto enough that I beat myself up every time I use Roundup
to kill weeds in a very rocky, hard-to-reach area. In fact, next time
I'll just use boiling water and see how THAT works out.

You didn't say how big the area is. That might have a bearing on how
much black plastic you have to buy. Others have suggested newspaper
held down with rocks.
As a scientific experiment, you could run a test with 1/2 area black
plastic, 1/2 area thick newspaper w/rocks. Should be quite
interesting.

Also consider posting on rec.gardens - knowledgeable folks.

HB
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I'm with the respondents who advised "baking" the area with black
plastic.

Uh, plastic sheeting isn't used to "bake" the plants, it's used to stop
photosynthesis.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 22:33:19 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
"burn" it down with roundup, then till and remove as much rood matter
as possible by raking - wait for it to green up again (water it if it
doesn't rain) then hit it with roundup again to kill it, and till it
again - removing as much root material as possible.

Skip the roundup. Tilling weeds under shortly after they sprout will kill them.
Just do that several times. It worked great for me converting a weed patch to
ornamantal garden beds. I tilled 3-4 times over a couple months of a Seattle
summer.

Another method I've heard is to till the ground, then cover it with *clear*
plastic over the early part of the summer. The light encourages the weeds to
germinate then the heat cooks them. Grass can then be planted in the late
summer or early fall, which is usually the best time to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:50:16 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I'm with the respondents who advised "baking" the area with black
plastic.

Uh, plastic sheeting isn't used to "bake" the plants, it's used to stop
photosynthesis.

Not if its clear. It'll let them sprout then bake 'em good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:50:16 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I'm with the respondents who advised "baking" the area with black
plastic.

Uh, plastic sheeting isn't used to "bake" the plants, it's used to stop
photosynthesis.

Not if its clear. It'll let them sprout then bake 'em good.

Never seen that clear black plastic around here, but maybe it's a
regional thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 20:19:07 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:50:16 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article
,
Higgs Boson wrote:

I'm with the respondents who advised "baking" the area with black
plastic.

Uh, plastic sheeting isn't used to "bake" the plants, it's used to stop
photosynthesis.

Not if its clear. It'll let them sprout then bake 'em good.

Never seen that clear black plastic around here, but maybe it's a
regional thing.

I understand what you were responding to, but *you* didn't specify black. The
trick works very well with *clear* plastic. Black, not so much. Seeds will
outlast you if they remain dormant.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 1, 3:50*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*Higgs Boson wrote:

I'm with the respondents who advised "baking" the area with black
plastic. *

Uh, plastic sheeting isn't used to "bake" the plants, it's used to stop
photosynthesis.

OK, so you don't like the term "bake". Fact is, sun beating down on
black plastic overheats the area underneath, killing vegetation.
Alsoblocks direct sun (which newspapers would also do), thus "stopping
photosynthesis".

HB

Roundup or What? Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 54 October 27th 10 06:58 AM
Garden Vinegar vs Roundup JimT[_2_] Home Repair 42 September 14th 10 03:27 PM
Roundup For Weeds, Or... ? (what's really safe ?) Robert11 Home Repair 117 July 23rd 07 10:20 PM
Perfect time for a roundup Roy Metalworking 4 May 1st 06 09:35 PM
thickening additive for roundup Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 6 May 29th 05 08:29 PM