Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default To Roundup or not Roundup

On 6/28/2011 8:49 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article
,
Smitty wrote:

In articlePKWdnZ99uLglsZTTnZ2dnUVZ_sSdnZ2d@earthlink .com,
Kurt wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

If you till the soil once, then let seedlings sprout, and till again,
all plant matter will be dead and you won't have to use roundup. Any new
unwanted growth will be from seeds that blow in from other areas, and
roundup will have no effect on that process anyway.

Is hoeing considered tilling in this case or do I need to actually
rent something?

Hoeing is tilling "lite"...tearing up sod, breaking it apart and
levelling soil is heavy labor ) The average roto-tiller can't do it
well, but a heavy one can. The black plastic approach, or simply
putting down heavy mulch (all of next fall's leaves) might make it
plantable in the following spring. Or try a cheat...buy a few hostas,
plant them here and there, and wait...they grow almost everywhere, shade
out most weeds, and make for a nice low-maintenance bed.