Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default To Roundup or not Roundup

"Pete C." wrote in news:4e09c67a$0$32628
:

Kurt Ullman wrote:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Cover with black plastic for a few good hot days to bake the soil? Can
also apply specialty soil fumigants under the plastic. As someone noted,
Roundup has to be applied to actual plants, not soil.

As Normie said, leave some native plants. Wife's philosophy: Perennials
are better. I'll try anything,preferably native or native-like. If it
grows, be kind to it. If it doesn't, too bad, onwards with the next plant.
Just be careful with invasive plants, such as mints.

--
Best regards
Han