Posted to alt.home.repair

Default To Roundup or not Roundup

On Jul 1, 2:48*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jun 27, 6:21*pm, Kurt Ullman wrote: I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

I'm with the respondents who advised "baking" the area with black
plastic. * But it should be left on more than "a few days"unless you
are in a terrible hurry.
I hate Monsanto enough that I beat myself up every time I use Roundup
to kill weeds in a very rocky, hard-to-reach area. *In fact, next time
I'll just use
You didn't say how big the area is. *That might have a bearing on how
much black plastic you have to buy. *Others have suggested newspaper
held down with rocks.
As a scientific experiment, you could run a test with 1/2 area black
plastic, 1/2 area thick newspaper w/rocks. *Should be quite
interesting.

Also consider posting on rec.gardens - knowledgeable folks.

HB