Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default To Roundup or not Roundup

On 6/28/2011 7:41 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Kurt Ullman wrote:
I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was
deeded to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant
"regular" grass instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was
still farm field. I have hoed the area that I am planting this time
to bare ground. I am trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and
plant the new grass or if I should nuke the area with Roundup and
then wait about 4 weeks before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Since the ground is bare, Roundup will do nothing.

A pre-emergent herbicide could help. If the area is sunny, so would staking
down some black plastic over the area and letting it cook the ground for a
month or so.

Good advice. Cook in summer, reseed in early fall. Worry about weeds
next year. Eliminating every weed and bug is not advised ) We use
insane amounts of poison on our lawns and gardens; better to leave at
least some area to native plants and trees.