Posted to alt.home.repair

Default To Roundup or not Roundup

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 21:19:28 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 6/27/11 9:09 PM, Tegger wrote:
Kurt wrote in
m:

I have this little patch of land that backs up to my lot that was deeded
to me recently. I have a few areas that I want to plant "regular" grass
instead of the stuff that planted itself when it was still farm field. I
have hoed the area that I am planting this time to bare ground. I am
trying to decide if I just want to go ahead and plant the new grass or
if I should nuke the area with Roundup and then wait about 4 weeks
before I start on the grass. Any suggestions?

Use the Roundup and wait. If you don't, you are guaranteed to eventually
have weeds like you wouldn't believe.

I doubt Roundup will do much good. It has to be sprayed directly on
the plant as I remember. There are some pre emerge herbicides that
farmers use. The names of those escape me now. You might try the
local seed supply place for suggestions.
Weeds will grow as long as there is no shade. Some seeds have
germinated after literally decades of storage.

Turn the soil - let ig green up, roundup, turn again, let green up,
roundup, turn and seed.