Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlets with wall switches

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?
Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Nov 22, 2:01*pm, Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

Typically the switches are to control table lamps in rooms that don't
have ceiling fixtures. Electronics such as TVs, stereos, cable boxes,
etc. often never really turn off but only "stand by" and if left
unpowered for long periods of time can lose memory like station
presets etc. and then you'll have a long wait after turning them back
before you can view/hear whatever it was that you were looking for.

There's absolutely no problem plugging anything into a recep that is
always hot, even if it is in the same frame as one that is switched.
Although as with any electronics a surge protector is not a bad idea
(use a surge strip for interconnected devices like stereo components
and/or TVs and cable boxes so that they are all plugged into the same
circuit; ones with built in antenna/cable surge suppression are good
for A/V gear)

good luck

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

Actually you SHOULD plug them into a switched outlet. They you can
REALLY shut them off. All our 'vampire' devices are always really on
even though they say off. It's a waste of power.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

LSMFT wrote:
Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

Actually you SHOULD plug them into a switched outlet. They you can
REALLY shut them off. All our 'vampire' devices are always really on
even though they say off. It's a waste of power.

Money-saving tips:
* Unplug clocks when not in use
* Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect on return.

There's bound to be a web site somewhere with more tips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/2010 11:01 AM Jo spake thus:

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

By "connected to a wall switch" do you mean "*controlled by* a wall
switch"? Not clear from your posting.

If so, then who says you aren't supposed to plug things in there? Maybe
the people who want to keep charging you for "phantom" power?

Nothing I can think of would make this a bad thing, assuming you want
the TV or whatever to be controlled by that switch.

Even high-current devices like electric heaters would be OK on a switch,
provided they don't exceed its ratings (which, since they should be the
same as the ratings of the entire circuit--wiring plus circuit breakers
or fuses--should be fine). Low-power draws like TVs and other consumer
electronic devices are OK.

(The intended purpose of such a setup is normally to control a light in
the room from the wall switch.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 2:29*pm, LSMFT wrote:
Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

Actually you SHOULD plug them into a switched outlet. They you can
REALLY shut them off. All our 'vampire' devices are always really on
even though they say off. It's a waste of power.

--
LSMFT

Sure, they're a waste of power. No argument.

However, I wonder if anyone has performed this study:

In my house, most of the "always on" devices are not plugged into
switched outlets. Short of actually unplugging the devices each time,
I would need to plug them into a switch box of some sort, let's say a
surge protected power strip.

Each of those power strips has to be manufactured, packaged and then
shipped to a storage location or store. They then have to be purchased
by me and transported to my home. After that, the packaging material
has to discarded - recycled if possible and landfilled if not - but in
either case hauled away by a big truck and transported someplace else
to be processed.

Each of those steps require "power", either directly or indirectly. In
addition, I'd need multiple power strips since not only are the
various devices located far apart from each other, they are not always
used at the same time so can't be all powered off at once.

I wonder what the payback period is for the manufacture/shipping/
disposal steps of a single power strip vs. the power that a given
device eats up by being left in "stand-by" mode.

e.g. How long does the clock on a microwave need to be left on to end
up costing more than the power strip needed to turn it off?

P.S. Before you say "just unplug it", you should know that the plug
for my microwave is *behind* the microwave, as is the plug for the
main oven (and its clock), the plug for my TV, sound system, etc.

"Just unplug it" is not a viable solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:35:05 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

LSMFT wrote:
Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

Actually you SHOULD plug them into a switched outlet. They you can
REALLY shut them off. All our 'vampire' devices are always really on
even though they say off. It's a waste of power.

Money-saving tips:
* Unplug clocks when not in use
* Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect on return.

There's bound to be a web site somewhere with more tips.

Remove lightbulb when leaving room. Take it to the next room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/22/10 2:01 PM, Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

In a conventional automobile ignition, the spark happens when the power
is interrupted. I once lost my TV and stereo to a surge when ice
brought down the power line.

Electronic equipment is often shut off electronically. This can protect
the equipment from surges that can happen when power is interrupted by a
mechanical switch. If you made a habit of shutting off electronic
equipment with a wall switch, it might not last as long.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:01:37 -0800 (PST), Jo
wrote:

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that?

It won't hurt them. But like unplugging such a tv, it will forget
your preset stations and you'll have to scan the spectrum again, or
enter each number one digit at a time.

And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

Yes. That's what it's there for. Used to be outlets were all
swtiched or not at all switched. This combination is more versatile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

[snip]

It won't hurt them. But like unplugging such a tv, it will forget
your preset stations and you'll have to scan the spectrum again, or
enter each number one digit at a time.

Different models forget different things. Many only forget to be on, just
enough forgetfulness to make them useless for remote control by switching
power.

--
33 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper." -- Rod Serling
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:16:16 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

mm wrote:

[snip]

It won't hurt them. But like unplugging such a tv, it will forget
your preset stations and you'll have to scan the spectrum again, or
enter each number one digit at a time.

Different models forget different things. Many only forget to be on, just
enough forgetfulness to make them useless for remote control by switching
power.

Yes, you remind me. I hate that kind, because my bedroom tv is set up
so I can turn it on and change the volume with a wired contol. I
don't like having to use the remote, especially since the tv is always
on channel 3. Sometimes I turn it off electically anyhow, if I'm
sleepy, and then I have to find the remote or crawl over the bed to
turn it on again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 4:54*pm, J Burns wrote:
In a conventional automobile ignition, the spark happens when the power
is interrupted.

This is one reason why there is not an ignition coil connected to his
TV.

*I once lost my TV and stereo to a surge when ice
brought down the power line.

Perhaps the transformer on the pole acted like the ignition coil in a
car when the power was interrupted on the high voltage side (I don't
know if this is possible). But since he would be breaking the
connection between the TV and the transformer instead, I don't see how
this is a concern.

Yes, there is probably a transformer in the power supply in the TV,
but it will have a capacitor sized to absorb any spike it can produce
when unplugged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard of folks who plug everything into outlet strips with the
switch. Makes sense.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into
an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a
wall
switch?

Actually you SHOULD plug them into a switched outlet. They you can
REALLY shut them off. All our 'vampire' devices are always really on
even though they say off. It's a waste of power.

--
LSMFT

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm sure there are a lot of web sites, recycling the old advice from
the 1970s. When Jimmuh Kottah was wearing sweattah in the wat haus.
Odd-even gas rationing and all.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Money-saving tips:
* Unplug clocks when not in use
* Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect on
return.

There's bound to be a web site somewhere with more tips.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Even better, if it's a CF.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message ...

There's bound to be a web site somewhere with more tips.

Remove lightbulb when leaving room. Take it to the next room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You should not plug a TV into an outlet controlled by a switch as this
will cause damage to the electronic components over time. Many modern
components require time to shut down properly. While they all are
built to survive sudden loss of power, doing this over and over may
cause damage. The TV on/off switch will power the TV on/off more
gracefully, and protect the components, giving your TV a much longer
lifespan. As far as remembering channels, most TV's should be able to
do that regardless.

As everyone else here mentioned, your bottom outlet is just a regular
outlet, and you can plug anything into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/10 2:36 AM, Larry Fishel wrote:
Yes, there is probably a transformer in the power supply in the TV,
but it will have a capacitor sized to absorb any spike it can produce
when unplugged.

There's a capacitor on the primary of an ignition coil. A capacitor can
reduce peak voltage but doesn't dissipate energy. On DC, inductive
surges are often absorbed by diodes rather than capacitors.

The gentlest way to interrupt AC power to an inductor is to catch it at
the part of the cycle when current isn't flowing. An electronic switch
can do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 2:35*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Money-saving tips:
* Unplug clocks when not in use
* Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect on return..

How does that second one save money?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 3:09*pm, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Nov 22, 2:35*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Money-saving tips:
* Unplug clocks when not in use
* Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect on return.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2010 12:18 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

wrote:

On Nov 22, 2:35 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Money-saving tips:
* Unplug clocks when not in use
* Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect
on return.

How does that second one save money?

There's a circuit board in the GDO waiting to hear from the remote.

But as usual "Bub" was just yanking our chains.

"Unplug clocks when not in use"? Think about it a couple seconds ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 2:01*pm, Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

YES JO IT IS OKAY TO USE THE UNSWITHCED OUTLET FOR YOUR TV ETC.

THE SWITCHED OUTLET IS JUST FOR YOUR TABLE OR FLOOR LAMPS..

IF YOU NEED ADDITIONAL OUTLETS TO PLUG IN LETS SAY A RADIO, CLOCK,
FAN, ETCETERAS, YOU CAN PURCHASE AND PLUG IN A PROTECTED OUTLET STRIP
TO THE ONE UNSWD OUTLET AND PLUG EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO THAT OUTLET
STRIP.
THEY COME IN SEVERAL SIZES WITH 3, 4 OR 6 OUTLETS AND ARE COMMON AND
SAFE TO USE IN CASES LIKE YOURS.

PATECUMSEH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/23/2010 7:08 PM The Ghost in The Machine spake thus:

On Nov 22, 2:01 pm, Jo wrote:

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

YES JO IT IS OKAY TO USE THE UNSWITHCED OUTLET FOR YOUR TV ETC.

THE SWITCHED OUTLET IS JUST FOR YOUR TABLE OR FLOOR LAMPS..

I liked you better when you were "Proteus".

Wassamattah, you got a piece of gum stuck on your "Caps lock" key?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 10:19:48 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've heard of folks who plug everything into outlet strips with the
switch. Makes sense.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

And they buy cheap chinese power strips and the switch goes bad after
a few months - becoming a fire hazzard

As for the clocks, they are more accurate if NEVER plugged in. They
are dead accurate twice a day,

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into
an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a
wall
switch?

Actually you SHOULD plug them into a switched outlet. They you can
REALLY shut them off. All our 'vampire' devices are always really on
even though they say off. It's a waste of power.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 23:36:53 -0800 (PST), Larry Fishel
wrote:

On Nov 22, 4:54Â*pm, J Burns wrote:
In a conventional automobile ignition, the spark happens when the power
is interrupted.

This is one reason why there is not an ignition coil connected to his
TV.

Â*I once lost my TV and stereo to a surge when ice
brought down the power line.

Perhaps the transformer on the pole acted like the ignition coil in a
car when the power was interrupted on the high voltage side (I don't
know if this is possible). But since he would be breaking the
connection between the TV and the transformer instead, I don't see how
this is a concern.

Yes, there is probably a transformer in the power supply in the TV,
but it will have a capacitor sized to absorb any spike it can produce
when unplugged.

But it is a proven fact that many electrical devices do last a lot
longer if they are never turned off. (of course they last even longer
if never plugged in - - -)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 07:23:30 -0800 (PST), John
wrote:

You should not plug a TV into an outlet controlled by a switch as this
will cause damage to the electronic components over time. Many modern
components require time to shut down properly. While they all are
built to survive sudden loss of power, doing this over and over may
cause damage. The TV on/off switch will power the TV on/off more
gracefully, and protect the components, giving your TV a much longer
lifespan. As far as remembering channels, most TV's should be able to
do that regardless.

MANY have no NVROM or NVRAM to maintain channel selections when the
power is removed. You are still able to direct enter channels, but the
"channell up" and "channel down" do not function untill re-programmed
- and some revert to a default of ant of cable when powered off. Fine
if you are using the default - but everytnhing above 13 goes away if
it defaults to ant and you are using cable.
As everyone else here mentioned, your bottom outlet is just a regular
outlet, and you can plug anything into it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 2:01 pm, Jo wrote:

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

YES JO IT IS OKAY TO USE THE UNSWITHCED OUTLET FOR YOUR TV ETC.

THE SWITCHED OUTLET IS JUST FOR YOUR TABLE OR FLOOR LAMPS..

I liked you better when you were "Proteus".

Wassamattah, you got a piece of gum stuck on your "Caps lock" key?

STAY ON TOPIC OR DROP DEAD TROLL
EITHER WAY I WILL COLLECT YOUR WRETCHED SOUL NOW

PATECUMSEH
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 22, 2:35 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Money-saving tips:
* Unplug clocks when not in use
* Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect
on return.

How does that second one save money?

There's a circuit board in the GDO waiting to hear from the remote.

But as usual "Bub" was just yanking our chains.

"Unplug clocks when not in use"? Think about it a couple seconds ...

"But as usual "Bub" was just yanking our chains."

I understood exactly who was yanking what, but that doesn't change the
fact that unplugging both clocks and GDO's will save electricity.

I'm sure Cindy was also well aware of the yanking being done, but her
question was still valid - as was my answer.

P.S. All chain yanks aside, the unplugging of clocks is not as far
fetched as it seems. Many modern clocks automatically set themselves
as soon as they are plugged in. My daughter has a clock radio that
does that. No one could argue that it wouldn't save electricity if she
unplugged it when leaving her room in the morning and it wouldn't much
of an inconvenience since she'd know the correct time within a few
seconds of plugging it back in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 22, 2:01 pm, Jo wrote:

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

YES JO IT IS OKAY TO USE THE UNSWITHCED OUTLET FOR YOUR TV ETC.

THE SWITCHED OUTLET IS JUST FOR YOUR TABLE OR FLOOR LAMPS..

I liked you better when you were "Proteus".

Seems like the same ignorant troll.

I remember the good old days when it was Roy.
Same ignorant toll then too.

Wassamattah, you got a piece of gum stuck on your "Caps lock" key?

You must have never been a troll.

THE TROLL CODE REQUIRES ALL CAPS. IT IS PART OF THE CHARM.