Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Fishel Larry Fishel is offline

Default Outlets with wall switches

On Nov 22, 4:54*pm, J Burns wrote:
In a conventional automobile ignition, the spark happens when the power
is interrupted.

This is one reason why there is not an ignition coil connected to his
TV.

*I once lost my TV and stereo to a surge when ice
brought down the power line.

Perhaps the transformer on the pole acted like the ignition coil in a
car when the power was interrupted on the high voltage side (I don't
know if this is possible). But since he would be breaking the
connection between the TV and the transformer instead, I don't see how
this is a concern.

Yes, there is probably a transformer in the power supply in the TV,
but it will have a capacitor sized to absorb any spike it can produce
when unplugged.