Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlets with wall switches

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:40:36 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

But it is a proven fact that many electrical devices do last a lot
longer if they are never turned off.

Name three, and provide credible references.

I'll start with ONE - Computer hard drives. If not subjected to heat
cycling, which can cause a hard drive to fail quite quickly. As long
as cooling is adequate, it is better to keep them running. Starting
and stopping also subjects the motor and arm to startup forces and
shut down forces, whichare hardert on the drives rather than running
in a constant state. Stiction problems with the spindle motors are
never a problem on drives that are not shut down.
All electronics are sensitive to power spikes as well - which are
virtually eliminated if the drives are kept running. I've got hard
drives that are over 10 years old, still running, 24/7.

One is a 13 year old Maxtor 2.5gb - built Dec 24, 1997 in Singapore

Credible references?? Google Hard Drive Thermal cycling, and hard
drive stiction and find them yourself - any I provide you guys will
argue anyway.

The same principals apply to many other electronic devices - so just
google thermal cycling electronic failure and power surge electronic
failure and you'll find more than 3.