Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Outlets with wall switches

On Nov 23, 9:48*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 11/23/2010 12:18 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

On Nov 23, 3:09 pm, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Nov 22, 2:35 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Money-saving tips:
* Unplug clocks when not in use
* Disconnect garage door opener after leaving garage; reconnect
on return.

How does that second one save money?

There's a circuit board in the GDO waiting to hear from the remote.

But as usual "Bub" was just yanking our chains.

"Unplug clocks when not in use"? Think about it a couple seconds ...

"But as usual "Bub" was just yanking our chains."

I understood exactly who was yanking what, but that doesn't change the
fact that unplugging both clocks and GDO's will save electricity.

I'm sure Cindy was also well aware of the yanking being done, but her
question was still valid - as was my answer.

P.S. All chain yanks aside, the unplugging of clocks is not as far
fetched as it seems. Many modern clocks automatically set themselves
as soon as they are plugged in. My daughter has a clock radio that
does that. No one could argue that it wouldn't save electricity if she
unplugged it when leaving her room in the morning and it wouldn't much
of an inconvenience since she'd know the correct time within a few
seconds of plugging it back in.