Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Outlets with wall switches

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 11:01:37 -0800 (PST), Jo
wrote:

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that?

It won't hurt them. But like unplugging such a tv, it will forget
your preset stations and you'll have to scan the spectrum again, or
enter each number one digit at a time.

And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

Yes. That's what it's there for. Used to be outlets were all
swtiched or not at all switched. This combination is more versatile.