Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outlets with wall switches

On 11/22/2010 11:01 AM Jo spake thus:

One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

By "connected to a wall switch" do you mean "*controlled by* a wall
switch"? Not clear from your posting.

If so, then who says you aren't supposed to plug things in there? Maybe
the people who want to keep charging you for "phantom" power?

Nothing I can think of would make this a bad thing, assuming you want
the TV or whatever to be controlled by that switch.

Even high-current devices like electric heaters would be OK on a switch,
provided they don't exceed its ratings (which, since they should be the
same as the ratings of the entire circuit--wiring plus circuit breakers
or fuses--should be fine). Low-power draws like TVs and other consumer
electronic devices are OK.

(The intended purpose of such a setup is normally to control a light in
the room from the wall switch.)