Airkings

Default Outlets/switches lfush with new drywall?

I installed 5/8" drywall in my garage, and of course cut out spaces for the
existing outlets and switches. The outlets were flush with the studs, so now
are recessed in the drywall. Are there "extenders" or something I can put on
the boxes so the switches and outlets can be made flush with the drywall
surface? Or how do I do that?

--
Dave

RicodJour

Airkings wrote:
I installed 5/8" drywall in my garage, and of course cut out spaces for the
existing outlets and switches. The outlets were flush with the studs, so now
are recessed in the drywall. Are there "extenders" or something I can put on
the boxes so the switches and outlets can be made flush with the drywall
surface? Or how do I do that?

A big box store or electrical supply house will have extensions for
various depths. You may have to trim it.

DanG

The proper thing to do would be to remove the drywall around the
receps and switches, move the boxes out to where they belong,
re-rock.

It is possible to buy extra long machine screws to hold the
receps, but the recep ears should be supported on stacked washers,
curled #12, or some other ferrule type extender to support the
receps when you go to plug something in. Code wants that gap
between the finish face of the rock and the front of the rough in
box filled with a UL approved extender. I can't find a picture of
one, I call them beer can extension rings, they are metal and very
thin just like a beer can. They are made to protect the
paneling/plywood/void condition from finish wall to rough in box.
These extension rings may not be Borg items.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Airkings" wrote in message
ink.net...
I installed 5/8" drywall in my garage, and of course cut out
spaces for the existing outlets and switches. The outlets were
flush with the studs, so now are recessed in the drywall. Are
there "extenders" or something I can put on the boxes so the
switches and outlets can be made flush with the drywall surface?
Or how do I do that?

--
Dave

Wes Stewart

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 15:19:42 GMT, "Airkings"
wrote:

I installed 5/8" drywall in my garage, and of course cut out spaces for the
existing outlets and switches. The outlets were flush with the studs, so now
are recessed in the drywall. Are there "extenders" or something I can put on
the boxes so the switches and outlets can be made flush with the drywall
surface? Or how do I do that?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...entPage=family

ameijers

"DanG" wrote in message
news2v4f.4397$OM4.3780@dukeread06...

The proper thing to do would be to remove the drywall around the
receps and switches, move the boxes out to where they belong,
re-rock.

It is possible to buy extra long machine screws to hold the
receps, but the recep ears should be supported on stacked washers,
curled #12, or some other ferrule type extender to support the
receps when you go to plug something in. Code wants that gap
between the finish face of the rock and the front of the rough in
box filled with a UL approved extender. I can't find a picture of
one, I call them beer can extension rings, they are metal and very
thin just like a beer can. They are made to protect the
paneling/plywood/void condition from finish wall to rough in box.
These extension rings may not be Borg items.

Uh, yeah, they are Borg items, and they are now made of plastic. I had to
install a couple in this place after I bought it, and have 1 more to install
in garage ceiling on door opener outlet, once I get around to buying a
ladder that tall. Long screws come with it. No stacked washers or whatever
are needed- the ears of the extender sit in front of the drywall, catch the
ears of the outlet, and the long screws pull the whole thing tight against
the drywall and firm to the box. If the box and drywall are solid, the
install is solid. (at least as solid as an old-work box would be.)

aem sends....