Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Outlets with wall switches

On 11/22/10 2:01 PM, Jo wrote:
One of the outlets in my bedroom has the top outlet connected to a
wall switch and the bottom outlet is not. I noticed that some
electronic equipment (like TVs) aren't supposed to be plugged into an
outlet connected to a wall switch. Why is that? And is it ok to plug
TVs/electronics into the bottom outlet that isn't connected to a wall
switch?

In a conventional automobile ignition, the spark happens when the power
is interrupted. I once lost my TV and stereo to a surge when ice
brought down the power line.

Electronic equipment is often shut off electronically. This can protect
the equipment from surges that can happen when power is interrupted by a
mechanical switch. If you made a habit of shutting off electronic
equipment with a wall switch, it might not last as long.