Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

Old April 19th 10, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

First, the important question:

When I presented the coupon for the free flashlight, I was given the
choice of Red or Blue. Just curious...are those the same colors
offered everywhere?

Second:

I used my most recent 20% off coupon on one of these:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=40123

This unit stands just under 4' high and is d*mn bright maybe too
bright - 500 watts. I can't imagine turning around, accidentally
looking into these lights and then being able to see for the next 10
minutes.

I've never used free standing shop lights this bright so I'm curious -
are they too bright to be practical, unless mounted much higher than
the 44" stand allows?
Old April 19th 10, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...Item.do?itemid...

This unit stands just under 4' high and is d*mn bright maybe too
bright - 500 watts. I can't imagine turning around, accidentally
looking into these lights and then being able to see for the next 10
minutes.

I've never used free standing shop lights this bright so I'm curious -
are they too bright to be practical, unless mounted much higher than
the 44" stand allows?

My HF has a bin full of the lights and you can pick your color from
red, blue or black.

I know whatt you mean about those lights. The best way to use them is
put them behind you and shine near where you're working. At the
ceiling or on an adjacent wall usually works.
Old April 19th 10, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

First, the important question:

When I presented the coupon for the free flashlight, I was given the
choice of Red or Blue. Just curious...are those the same colors
offered everywhere?

Red & Blue here- [Albany, NY, store]

Second:

I used my most recent 20% off coupon on one of these:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=40123

This unit stands just under 4' high and is d*mn bright maybe too
bright - 500 watts. I can't imagine turning around, accidentally
looking into these lights and then being able to see for the next 10
minutes.

I've never used free standing shop lights this bright so I'm curious -
are they too bright to be practical, unless mounted much higher than
the 44" stand allows?

I've got a couple 500watt lights I bring out for paint and spackle
jobs only. I usually bounce them off the ceiling from behind me.
When I think I'm getting close with a spackle job I 'wash' the wall
with them. . . and get back to work.

Once something looks good to me under those lights, SWMBO is called in
to check things under normal lighting. They haven't failed me yet.

Jim
Old April 19th 10, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Joe

On Apr 19, 2:48*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

I have always removed the overbright 500 W lamps and replaced them
with 300 W. They last longer and there is no practical loss of
illumination for your work area. Sometimes direct lighting is needed,
but indirect is usually more useful as above.

Joe
Old April 19th 10, 11:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Most of the time here (Rochester, NY 14623 store) they have
red or blue. Last time they had black, which I kind of like.
saturday, they were given out, and the free ones will
restock, Thursday.

I got one of these

which is disappointing. Puts a spot on the far wall, instead
of spreading light around. But, I had a coupon. I can also
run it off a small battery and inverter, for light when I
don't have house power.

My old boss used to use 150 watt bulbs in his clamp on lamp
which was too bright for me. I'd have to guess that 500
watts is much way extremely too bright. My old fire
department used to use 500 watt lights for night accident
scenes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old April 19th 10, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
First, the important question:

When I presented the coupon for the free flashlight, I was given the
choice of Red or Blue. Just curious...are those the same colors
offered everywhere?

Second:

I used my most recent 20% off coupon on one of these:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=40123

This unit stands just under 4' high and is d*mn bright maybe too
bright - 500 watts. I can't imagine turning around, accidentally
looking into these lights and then being able to see for the next 10
minutes.

I've never used free standing shop lights this bright so I'm curious -
are they too bright to be practical, unless mounted much higher than
the 44" stand allows?

The red and blue ones are off the '2-for' sku, and the blacks are off
the singles. Local store only hands out naked red or blue, when they are
out of the blacks.

I'm up to 13 of them. How many have you guys got so far? Come deer
season, I'm gonna get me one of those shotgun shell belts (a cheap one,
of course) to hold them all.

--
aem sends...

Old April 19th 10, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

I'm up to 13 of them. How many have you guys got so far? Come deer
season, I'm gonna get me one of those shotgun shell belts (a cheap
one, of course) to hold them all.

If you turn them all on at once, will you take off?

Old April 20th 10, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
I'm up to 13 of them. How many have you guys got so far? Come deer
season, I'm gonna get me one of those shotgun shell belts (a cheap
one, of course) to hold them all.

If you turn them all on at once, will you take off?

No, but I'll probably do something artistic with them, before they find
their permanent homes in both cars, one in each jacket, one in each
toolbox, one in each bedside table, etc.

Hey, as long as they keep giving them away, what the hell...
I pass within a block of HF on my Saturday errands almost every week,
and it isn't hard to space out my 'needed stuff' list to only buy one or
two things a week. (Don't wanna be a total dweeb and not buy ANYTHING,
which is of course what they are counting on.) Most of the stuff I buy
there is consumables or low-tech, and I seldom spend more than 10 bucks
total. Most expensive thing I ever bought at HF was a compressor for
forty bucks, after I figured out it was the same compressor Sears was
selling for eighty, just in a different color.

Getting tempted by their multi-function tool, though.

--
aem sends...
Old April 20th 10, 01:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I've long since lost count. However, the shotgun shell belt
sounds like a winner of an idea. I laughed out loud, which
is rare.

My store has been handing out the red and blue. I like the
black ones.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old April 20th 10, 12:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

That, or Porter Cable for much more. I'd guess the quality
of the bronze berring is much less, but it will work for a
while.

I'm the same way, try to buy one item while I'm scarfing up
the free light. They are out of stock till Thursday. I may
make a pilgrimmage on Thursday AM.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus