Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default FREE OFFER -- Harbor Freight 1/4" wire rope and hook

Comes from my truck crane. Free local pickup, shipping is $10, will be
shipped in flat rate box and $1.05 will cover my paypal fee. There is
nothing wrong with it and it functions as designed. Prone to kinking
and is a little stiff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

no takers, I threw it to garbage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus19045 wrote:

no takers, I threw it to garbage.

Well it was harbor freight.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-24, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus19045 wrote:

no takers, I threw it to garbage.

Well it was harbor freight.....

Yes, it was rather crappy. Not weak, as such, just not convenient to
use due to unfriendliness of the wire rope. I did keep the hook,
however.

The story is that I got some end of year money and decided to upgrade
to a super flexible stainless wire rope, and to a better hook that I
already had.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 24, 12:28*am, Ignoramus19045 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
On 2007-12-24, Wes wrote:

Ignoramus19045 wrote:

no takers, I threw it to garbage.

Well it was harbor freight.....

Yes, it was rather crappy. Not weak, as such, just not convenient to
use due to unfriendliness of the wire rope. I did keep the hook,
however.

The story is that I got some end of year money and decided to upgrade
to a super flexible stainless wire rope, and to a better hook that I
already had.

Man, I would NEVER throw away still-useful rigging gear; the disabled
vehicle is always 10' too far away for my winch cable to reach or
something similar. Maybe the best use for it is as a loaner when you
just know the turkeys will wreck it yanking their trucks out of the
mudhole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-24, Wes wrote:

Ignoramus19045 wrote:

no takers, I threw it to garbage.

Well it was harbor freight.....

Yes, it was rather crappy. Not weak, as such, just not convenient to
use due to unfriendliness of the wire rope. I did keep the hook,
however.

The story is that I got some end of year money and decided to upgrade
to a super flexible stainless wire rope, and to a better hook that I
already had.

Man, I would NEVER throw away still-useful rigging gear; the disabled
vehicle is always 10' too far away for my winch cable to reach or
something similar. Maybe the best use for it is as a loaner when you
just know the turkeys will wreck it yanking their trucks out of the
mudhole.

I do not think that this 1/4" wire rope is suitable for car recovery.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-24, Wes wrote:

Ignoramus19045 wrote:

no takers, I threw it to garbage.

Well it was harbor freight.....

Yes, it was rather crappy. Not weak, as such, just not convenient to
use due to unfriendliness of the wire rope. I did keep the hook,
however.

The story is that I got some end of year money and decided to upgrade
to a super flexible stainless wire rope, and to a better hook that I
already had.

Man, I would NEVER throw away still-useful rigging gear; the disabled
vehicle is always 10' too far away for my winch cable to reach or
something similar. Maybe the best use for it is as a loaner when you
just know the turkeys will wreck it yanking their trucks out of the
mudhole.

I do not think that this 1/4" wire rope is suitable for car recovery.

My neighbor has 3 short pieces of the braided yellow/orange tow rope
from WalMart hanging from the rear of his Polaris. It wasn't even
suitable for 800 Lb ATV recovery.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-24, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I do not think that this 1/4" wire rope is suitable for car recovery.

My neighbor has 3 short pieces of the braided yellow/orange tow rope
from WalMart hanging from the rear of his Polaris. It wasn't even
suitable for 800 Lb ATV recovery.

I think that this applies to all Walmart goods. I have that rope
too. I use it for miscellaneous light duty uses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 24, 12:10*pm, Ignoramus2318
On 2007-12-24, Jim Wilkins wrote:

My neighbor has 3 short pieces of the braided yellow/orange tow rope
from WalMart hanging from the rear of his Polaris. It wasn't even
suitable for 800 Lb ATV recovery.

I think that this applies to all Walmart goods. I have that rope
too. I use it for miscellaneous light duty uses.

Their 2" wide yellow ratchet straps aren't bad. I can crank in a
measured 1000 Lbs of tension by leaning real hard on the handle,
enough to pull my truck right through a snowbank (very slowly). I had
one loaded to 3000 Lbs while pulling down the entangled oak tree being
cut up in the sawmill photo:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-12-24, Jim Wilkins wrote:

My neighbor has 3 short pieces of the braided yellow/orange tow rope
from WalMart hanging from the rear of his Polaris. It wasn't even
suitable for 800 Lb ATV recovery.

I think that this applies to all Walmart goods. I have that rope
too. I use it for miscellaneous light duty uses.

Their 2" wide yellow ratchet straps aren't bad. I can crank in a
measured 1000 Lbs of tension by leaning real hard on the handle,
enough to pull my truck right through a snowbank (very slowly). I had
one loaded to 3000 Lbs while pulling down the entangled oak tree being
cut up in the sawmill photo:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL

I had a much worse experience. I had two of their straps holding down
a bed cover on my old Dodge.

On one of them, a hook mysteriously fell off, without any undue
strain, etc. I threw away both.