Joe AutoDrill

Default Harbor Freight DP 39955 Question...

Harbor Freight DP 39955 Question...

Looking for some measurements off the Harbor Freight / Central Machinery
39955. Anyone have 5 minutes and a micrometer handy? I'll owe you a coffee
or donut or something should we ever meet...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

Leo Lichtman

"Joe AutoDrill" WROTE: Looking for some measurements off the Harbor Freight
/ Central Machinery 39955. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why don't you tell us what this is, so we don't all have to look it up?

Lane

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Joe AutoDrill" WROTE: Looking for some measurements off the Harbor
Freight / Central Machinery 39955. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why don't you tell us what this is, so we don't all have to look it up?

12 Speed Floor Production Drill Press w/ 1-1/2 HP Motor.

Joe AutoDrill

"Joe AutoDrill" WROTE: Looking for some measurements off the Harbor
Freight / Central Machinery 39955. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why don't you tell us what this is, so we don't all have to look it up?

Sorry. Abbreviated the Drill Press as "DP" in the subject line. I think
about this stuff all day and DP translates to Drill Press automatically in
my brain. Didn't even occur to me that it was cryptic.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:40:31 GMT, the inscrutable "Leo Lichtman"
spake:

"Joe AutoDrill" WROTE: Looking for some measurements off the Harbor Freight
/ Central Machinery 39955. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why don't you tell us what this is, so we don't all have to look it up?

Well, at least he didn't tell anyone WHAT measurements he was after.

I'll apologize for offending someone...right
after they apologize for being easily offended.
http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design

Robert Swinney

Unless you specifically are trying to dupe the 39955 - take a look at the
motor/spindle drive on any drill press with a 4 pole motor. The geometry
will be about the same.

Bob Swinney

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
"Joe AutoDrill" WROTE: Looking for some measurements off the Harbor
Freight / Central Machinery 39955. (CLIP)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why don't you tell us what this is, so we don't all have to look it up?

Sorry. Abbreviated the Drill Press as "DP" in the subject line. I think
about this stuff all day and DP translates to Drill Press automatically in
my brain. Didn't even occur to me that it was cryptic.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013

Joe AutoDrill

Well, at least he didn't tell anyone WHAT measurements he was after.

Since you asked...

Quill diameter above point A on my drawing, Spindle diameter, spindle length
below quill point A and a few other minor items... All on a drawing I will
be mroe than glad to fax or PDF eMail to someone willing to help.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Joe AutoDrill

Unless you specifically are trying to dupe the 39955 - take a look at the
motor/spindle drive on any drill press with a 4 pole motor. The geometry
will be about the same.

Robert,

Thanks for the thought. I agree, but I need measurements of specific parts
for a custom adapter. Measurements need to be to within .001" or it's not
gonna work for my customer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013

Tim Killian

I'd be surprised if the unit-unit tolerance for these drill presses was
better than 0.02". Getting accurate drawings for anything made in China
is a fool's errand at best.

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Unless you specifically are trying to dupe the 39955 - take a look at the
motor/spindle drive on any drill press with a 4 pole motor. The geometry
will be about the same.

Robert,

Thanks for the thought. I agree, but I need measurements of specific parts
for a custom adapter. Measurements need to be to within .001" or it's not
gonna work for my customer.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013

Joe AutoDrill

I'd be surprised if the unit-unit tolerance for these drill presses was
better than 0.02". Getting accurate drawings for anything made in China is
a fool's errand at best.

I've found HF to be decently predictable in one way - you never know what
their machine is going to look like next year!

However, this model hasn't really changed in the past few years from what we
can tell. I've already got measurments from my customer, but the guy isn't
even sure he used a caliper... And that scares me when I'm building him a
$1800 piece of equipment to bolt to his Harbor Freight drill press... So
any insurance I can get by trying to duplicate the data is helpful.

Bottom line is once he signs off on the meausrements and I machine an
adapter for his unit, he is stuck with that until a replacement can be made.
Theory is that if there is time to wait for the replacement, there is half
that amount of time to do it right the first time so spend the time now with
less frustration rather than later...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Joe AutoDrill

I think they are more interested in being jackasses and would-be comedians
than in being helpful.

Could be... But that's normal for newsgroups these days. When I'm 100%
sure I'm feeding a troll, I'll cut back on the food being provided...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Tim Killian

My comment was based on a replacement part we ordered a few years ago.
We had one of those roll/shear/brake combo tools and a cast iron side
plate cracked and couldn't be repaired. I ordered a replacement using
the part number from the "manual" and the guy at Enco tried to
discourage me. I didn't take his advice and went ahead with the order.
Four months later the part came in and it didn't even come close to
matching the hole locations on our machine. They were nice enough to
refund our money -- they didn't even say "We told you so!".

One way around all this might be to design your drill press fixture with
adjustable clamps that could compensate for variations in the machine
dimensions. Good luck with your project.

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
[...]

Joe AutoDrill

My comment was based on a replacement part we ordered a few years ago. We
had one of those roll/shear/brake combo tools and a cast iron side plate
cracked and couldn't be repaired. I ordered a replacement using the part
number from the "manual" and the guy at Enco tried to discourage me. I
didn't take his advice and went ahead with the order. Four months later
the part came in and it didn't even come close to matching the hole
locations on our machine. They were nice enough to refund our money --
they didn't even say "We told you so!".

If someone really wants a semi-cheap drill press or even drill/mill for a
project, we normally send them to Jet, Grainger or Delta... Only because I
have more confidence that the parts for those machines will be the same a
year from now when they break their drill press. It's not guaranteed, but
it is better than Harbor Freight or some of the other cheap models out
there.

Ellis is a good brand too, but they charge more.

One way around all this might be to design your drill press fixture with
adjustable clamps that could compensate for variations in the machine
dimensions. Good luck with your project.

Can't necessarily do that. The length differs from quill to spindle, etc.
Some have MT2 and some have J33, etc.

It's like saying "Make an adjustable clamp that works for either a Jet or a
Bridgeport....
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Gunner

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 19:51:57 GMT, "Joe AutoDrill"
wrote:

If someone really wants a semi-cheap drill press or even drill/mill for a
project, we normally send them to Jet, Grainger or Delta... Only because I
have more confidence that the parts for those machines will be the same a
year from now when they break their drill press. It's not guaranteed, but
it is better than Harbor Freight or some of the other cheap models out
there.

Leigh, who posts here, had a customer with a busted head on a Jet
drill press. He ordered a new head casting, from Jet (he is a Jet
dealer/service station) using the part number, name, etc etc...

While it looked identical from the outside..nothing matched.

Gunner

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

Joe AutoDrill

Leigh, who posts here, had a customer with a busted head on a Jet
drill press. He ordered a new head casting, from Jet (he is a Jet
dealer/service station) using the part number, name, etc etc...

While it looked identical from the outside..nothing matched.

That is, of course, discouraging... But at least he had someone to order
from. That's half the battle I suppose.

Thanks for the info. Must have missed that thread. Will keep that in mind
next time I suggest a machine.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM