DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/301698-harbor-freight-free-flashlight-work-light-question.html)

DerbyDad03 April 19th 10 08:53 PM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

First, the important question:

When I presented the coupon for the free flashlight, I was given the
choice of Red or Blue. Just curious...are those the same colors
offered everywhere?

Second:

I used my most recent 20% off coupon on one of these:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=40123

This unit stands just under 4' high and is d*mn bright maybe too
bright - 500 watts. I can't imagine turning around, accidentally
looking into these lights and then being able to see for the next 10
minutes.

I've never used free standing shop lights this bright so I'm curious -
are they too bright to be practical, unless mounted much higher than
the 44" stand allows?

Limp Arbor April 19th 10 09:48 PM

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...Item.do?itemid...

This unit stands just under 4' high and is d*mn bright maybe too
bright - 500 watts. I can't imagine turning around, accidentally
looking into these lights and then being able to see for the next 10
minutes.

I've never used free standing shop lights this bright so I'm curious -
are they too bright to be practical, unless mounted much higher than
the 44" stand allows?

My HF has a bin full of the lights and you can pick your color from
red, blue or black.

I know whatt you mean about those lights. The best way to use them is
put them behind you and shine near where you're working. At the
ceiling or on an adjacent wall usually works.

Jim Elbrecht April 19th 10 10:21 PM

DerbyDad03 wrote:

First, the important question:

When I presented the coupon for the free flashlight, I was given the
choice of Red or Blue. Just curious...are those the same colors
offered everywhere?

Red & Blue here- [Albany, NY, store]

Second:

I used my most recent 20% off coupon on one of these:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=40123

This unit stands just under 4' high and is d*mn bright maybe too
bright - 500 watts. I can't imagine turning around, accidentally
looking into these lights and then being able to see for the next 10
minutes.

I've never used free standing shop lights this bright so I'm curious -
are they too bright to be practical, unless mounted much higher than
the 44" stand allows?

I've got a couple 500watt lights I bring out for paint and spackle
jobs only. I usually bounce them off the ceiling from behind me.
When I think I'm getting close with a spackle job I 'wash' the wall
with them. . . and get back to work.

Once something looks good to me under those lights, SWMBO is called in
to check things under normal lighting. They haven't failed me yet.

Jim

Joe April 19th 10 11:25 PM

On Apr 19, 2:48*pm, Limp Arbor wrote:
[...]

I have always removed the overbright 500 W lamps and replaced them
with 300 W. They last longer and there is no practical loss of
illumination for your work area. Sometimes direct lighting is needed,
but indirect is usually more useful as above.

Joe

Stormin Mormon April 20th 10 12:10 AM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

Most of the time here (Rochester, NY 14623 store) they have
red or blue. Last time they had black, which I kind of like.
saturday, they were given out, and the free ones will
restock, Thursday.

I got one of these

which is disappointing. Puts a spot on the far wall, instead
of spreading light around. But, I had a coupon. I can also
run it off a small battery and inverter, for light when I
don't have house power.

My old boss used to use 150 watt bulbs in his clamp on lamp
which was too bright for me. I'd have to guess that 500
watts is much way extremely too bright. My old fire
department used to use 500 watt lights for night accident
scenes.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

aemeijers April 20th 10 12:40 AM

DerbyDad03 wrote:
First, the important question:

When I presented the coupon for the free flashlight, I was given the
choice of Red or Blue. Just curious...are those the same colors
offered everywhere?

Second:

I used my most recent 20% off coupon on one of these:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=40123

This unit stands just under 4' high and is d*mn bright maybe too
bright - 500 watts. I can't imagine turning around, accidentally
looking into these lights and then being able to see for the next 10
minutes.

I've never used free standing shop lights this bright so I'm curious -
are they too bright to be practical, unless mounted much higher than
the 44" stand allows?

The red and blue ones are off the '2-for' sku, and the blacks are off
the singles. Local store only hands out naked red or blue, when they are
out of the blacks.

I'm up to 13 of them. How many have you guys got so far? Come deer
season, I'm gonna get me one of those shotgun shell belts (a cheap one,
of course) to hold them all.

--
aem sends...

Bob F April 20th 10 12:45 AM

aemeijers wrote:

I'm up to 13 of them. How many have you guys got so far? Come deer
season, I'm gonna get me one of those shotgun shell belts (a cheap
one, of course) to hold them all.

If you turn them all on at once, will you take off?

aemeijers April 20th 10 01:31 AM

Bob F wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
I'm up to 13 of them. How many have you guys got so far? Come deer
season, I'm gonna get me one of those shotgun shell belts (a cheap
one, of course) to hold them all.

If you turn them all on at once, will you take off?

No, but I'll probably do something artistic with them, before they find
their permanent homes in both cars, one in each jacket, one in each
toolbox, one in each bedside table, etc.

Hey, as long as they keep giving them away, what the hell...
I pass within a block of HF on my Saturday errands almost every week,
and it isn't hard to space out my 'needed stuff' list to only buy one or
two things a week. (Don't wanna be a total dweeb and not buy ANYTHING,
which is of course what they are counting on.) Most of the stuff I buy
there is consumables or low-tech, and I seldom spend more than 10 bucks
total. Most expensive thing I ever bought at HF was a compressor for
forty bucks, after I figured out it was the same compressor Sears was
selling for eighty, just in a different color.

Getting tempted by their multi-function tool, though.

--
aem sends...

Stormin Mormon April 20th 10 02:12 AM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

I've long since lost count. However, the shotgun shell belt
sounds like a winner of an idea. I laughed out loud, which
is rare.

My store has been handing out the red and blue. I like the
black ones.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon April 20th 10 01:10 PM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

That, or Porter Cable for much more. I'd guess the quality
of the bronze berring is much less, but it will work for a
while.

I'm the same way, try to buy one item while I'm scarfing up
the free light. They are out of stock till Thursday. I may
make a pilgrimmage on Thursday AM.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

George April 20th 10 01:15 PM

On 4/19/2010 6:40 PM, aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I guess I am missing something. What is the point of having 13 (or 30)
crappy quality flashlights?

Thomas April 20th 10 03:16 PM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

I guess I am missing something. What is the point of having 13 (or 30)
crappy quality flashlights?- Hide quoted text -

They are really not that crappy. Especially for the price.

Stormin Mormon April 20th 10 03:31 PM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

They come in handy for quick bit of light, at unexpected
moments. As to quality.... I've had some of the blue ones
come unglued. The light module slides out the front, and the
light stops working. However, only one or two. The store
replaces them without hassle. It's also fun to try to get
stuff for "free".

A couple bits of advice. Promptly take the cheap batteries
out, and put in real brand alkalines. The cheap batteries
provided are OK if you use them up, in the first couple days
and promptly remove them.

Second, the tail cap threads are a lot rough. A bit of
grease or vaseline helps a LOT. Aluminum Noalox, or Ox-Gored
is good, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

HeyBub[_3_] April 20th 10 04:51 PM

aemeijers wrote:

Getting tempted by their multi-function tool, though.

You DON"T have the Harbor Freight MultiMiracle tool???

Slit your throat! You've missed the good one.

DerbyDad03 April 20th 10 08:15 PM

On Apr 20, 10:51*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

Getting tempted by their multi-function tool, though.

You DON"T have the Harbor Freight MultiMiracle tool???

Slit your throat! You've missed the good one.

I see that they're dropping the price on the variable speed one also.

aemeijers April 21st 10 12:19 AM

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Ooh! Shiny! And when you line them up in a row, they look even keener!

Yes, they are one step above junk, and probably not worth buying
replacement batteries for. I definitely would not pay list price for
them. But the one in my briefcase has come in handy several times,
finding stuff buried in the back of a 19" rack.
--
aem sends...

George April 21st 10 01:44 AM

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

So it sounds like they really aren't worth bringing home.

A really easy solution much better is to get a good flashlight. I have a
single cell CREE LED that came with a belt holster. It is really rugged,
reliable and dependable and because it is so small I can have it with me
all of the time. It does double duty as a really good bike light. I
bought a velcro strap mount to attach it to the handlebars.

Stormin Mormon April 21st 10 03:21 AM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

Well, if you are one person. Who never loans flash lights.
Never has a flash light break. Never leaves his light some
where else, never has neighbors ask to borrow one. Never
needs a light in two places at once.

Then, your one light system should work fine.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Fake ID April 21st 10 09:44 AM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

In article ,
George wrote:
On 4/19/2010 6:40 PM, aemeijers wrote:

I'm up to 13 of them. How many have you guys got so far? Come deer
season, I'm gonna get me one of those shotgun shell belts (a cheap one,
of course) to hold them all.

I guess I am missing something. What is the point of having 13 (or 30)
crappy quality flashlights?

I wonder why Harbor Freight didn't put their name on them like cheap
promotonal pens.

With counts in the dozens, make a mobile and hang them all out in the
wind.

HeyBub[_3_] April 21st 10 02:45 PM

George wrote:

I guess I am missing something. What is the point of having 13 (or 30)
crappy quality flashlights?

Because they're not "crappy." They would be worth it at TWICE the price!

Seriously, they are perfectly adequate flashlights.
* They are all metal, not the "crappy" plastic of some brand-name,
"inexpensive" flashlights.
* They have an actual switch (in the base) instead of a sliding contact.
* They have NINE LEDs instead of seven or five found in the commercial,
brand-name, $4.95+ flashlights.
* They come with a handy little noose, enabling them to dangle from a knob
on the dash.
* They come in colors to match your political persuasion: Blue (Democrat),
Red (Republican), and Black.

DerbyDad03 April 21st 10 05:09 PM

On Apr 21, 8:45*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
George wrote:

I guess I am missing something. What is the point of having 13 (or 30)
crappy quality flashlights?

Because they're not "crappy." They would be worth it at TWICE the price!

Seriously, they are perfectly adequate flashlights.
* They are all metal, not the "crappy" plastic of some brand-name,
"inexpensive" flashlights.
* They have an actual switch (in the base) instead of a sliding contact.
* They have NINE LEDs instead of seven or five found in the commercial,
brand-name, $4.95+ flashlights.
* They come with a handy little noose, enabling them to dangle from a knob
on the dash.
* They come in colors to match your political persuasion: Blue (Democrat),
Red (Republican), and Black.

I have to agree.

Long before HF began issuing the "free flashlight" coupon every other
day, in every available print and on-line medium known to man, I
bought a package of them at HD.

I forget what it was, something like 6 flashlights with batteries for
$9.95.

I have them tossed in various places, such as the glove compartments
of both cars, my tool boxes, kitchen junk drawer, etc. I can finally
put my hands on a flashlight just about when ever I need one.

Other than dead batteries, I don't think I've ever had one fail due to
workmanship or abuse.

LouB[_3_] April 22nd 10 04:54 AM

LouB wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
I guess I am missing something. What is the point of having 13 (or 30)
crappy quality flashlights?

Because they're not "crappy." They would be worth it at TWICE the price!

Seriously, they are perfectly adequate flashlights.
* They are all metal, not the "crappy" plastic of some brand-name,
"inexpensive" flashlights.
* They have an actual switch (in the base) instead of a sliding contact.
* They have NINE LEDs instead of seven or five found in the
commercial, brand-name, $4.95+ flashlights.
* They come with a handy little noose, enabling them to dangle from a
knob on the dash.
* They come in colors to match your political persuasion: Blue
(Democrat), Red (Republican), and Black.

+1

I went to HF today - a 40 minute drive.
They were giving out the red or blue jobs.
While wandering thru the store I saw sets of two of the same units being
sold in a blister pack for $8.95.
Those are the SAME units they give away. How do I know?
I was at the register when one of the staff brought a box of the blister
packed duals up front and started to rip them open.

aemeijers April 22nd 10 05:30 AM

LouB wrote:
LouB wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

ISTR $3.95 on the 2-packs. 8, 3, easy to get them confused. I think the
black ones in the single packs were $2.95, which would be about right.

Of course, they buy them by the bazillion from China for maybe a quarter
apiece. This giveaway has been going on for close to a year at this
point- they wouldn't have gone this long if the loss-leader wasn't
bringing the sheep into the tent.

--
aem sends...

[email protected] April 22nd 10 05:36 AM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 23:30:16 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

LouB wrote:
LouB wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

Huh. I've been in their tent several times (though not as often as when there
was a store across town) and never got a freebie.

aemeijers April 22nd 10 05:44 AM

LouB wrote:
LouB wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

Gotta have the coupon in your hand when you get to the register. Look
in your sunday newspaper magazine, or Google old HF threads on here for
links to print coupons on-line.

--
aem sends...

LouB[_3_] April 22nd 10 06:09 PM

aemeijers wrote:
LouB wrote:
LouB wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

I was surprised only cause I figured they bought in bulk (not blister
packed)

DerbyDad03 April 22nd 10 09:18 PM

On Apr 22, 12:09*pm, LouB wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
LouB wrote:
LouB wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
George wrote:
[...]

packed)- Hide quoted text -

My guess is that they usually do but perhaps ran out of the bulk
ones.

They've saturated the marketplace with their coupons and perhaps
people are really starting to notice.

Stormin Mormon April 23rd 10 03:36 AM

Harbor Freight Free Flashlight and Work Light Question

I've seen lights similar to these in Real Deals Dollar
store, machined aluminum.

And some in Dollar Tree that look like tube aluminum, with
rolled end, adn some rolled in threads. The ones at DT are
too small to take the alkaline batteries I use.

Good thought, on camo.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message

My guess is that they usually do but perhaps ran out of
the bulk
ones.

They've saturated the marketplace with their coupons and
perhaps
people are really starting to notice.

I doubt the factory produces anything but the (ultra-cheap
old-style
wraparound over cardboard) blister packs. In a tub, the
lights would get
all scuffed up bouncing off each other on the container
ship, and
egg-crate or foam shipping packs would be no cheaper. Not to
mention,
retailers want stuff like that on cards to reduce inventory
shrinkage-
naked lipstick-size flashlights are too easy to pocket in
the back room.
I usually get the black ones still in the blister pack. The
colored ones
come naked because they peel them apart to hand out when
they run out of
black ones. I've had a clerk peel a pack open in front of me
and ask
which color I wanted.

Big Lots, 2 doors down in my town, has what looks like
exactly the same
light, but in camo with different printing on the hang card,
for 3.95
for one. I imagine that Chinese OEM sells a dozen different
versions to
different low-line stores. (and who would want a tiny light
in camo?
After dark with the light on, camo means nothing, and if you
drop it in
the grass during daylight, you'd never find it.)

--
aem sends...