Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dealing with insurance adjusters

Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping drywall,
painting?

This is from Sandy last fall. Had the adjuster out today.
Couldn't do the roof because the roof was wet. But we did
get into it over the interior painting. Basically shingles blew off
letting water into the cathedral ceiling of my large great room and
foyer. Ceiling and walls of those rooms needs to be done. The
great room and foyer run into each other, so for simplicity you
can just visualize it as one very large 30 x 25 , two story room, with
4
walls. In addition to being a cathedral ceiling, part is also over
stairs.
A ceiling in one small bedroom also needs to be done.

They initially pegged this last Fall at $619 for the interior work,
without coming out. Which is obviously a joke. I got two painters
for estimates. One quoted $3850, the other $4000. I thought they
were on the high side.

So, today the Allstate adjuster was here. It was something else.
This woman spent an unbelievable amount of time measuring
everything to the last inch. Here's an example of the process.
The wall at the front of the house needs to be repainted. It's a
contemporary with 7 large windows that form part of that wall.
I'd say the windows and the double entry doors amount to 75%
of the wall area. So, what does the adjuster do? She calculates
the square footage of the wall, and then subtracts OUT the windows
and doors.

She says they only paint areas that need to be painted. I say
that any painter will tell you that you should ADD for all those
windows, because you have to cut in around each one and
you could just paint a wide open wall for less than you can
paint a wall with all that work. That fell on deaf ears.

After an hour and 45 mins of measuring and computing, I managed
to get another $700 out of them. $200 of that was for damage to a
sofa, unrelated to the interior drywall/painting. So, she's telling
me
that $1119 is the cost to repair the drywall, seal, paint etc a great
room and foyer that combined are 30ft x 25 ft, two stories tall. It
also includes going around 6 recessed ceiling lights, two natural
wood beams that cross the ceiling, dealing with a section that is
over stairs with a ceiling fan. And doing sealing and repainting of
one bedroom ceiling 15f tx 13ft.

I tried to point out the obvious, like going around 7 windows makes
the cost go up, not down. And that it's multiple trips for the
painter,
because you have to do 3 coats with the drywall repair. I got
nowhere.
Their whole approach is use some low ball cost per square foot to
paint, which would be fine if it was just one big wall. But they then
take an area like the front wall, full of windows, subtract out the
area
of all those windows, multiply the little that is left by their low
cost per
sq ft., and say that covers it.

So, any ideas? Even worse, Fri they are coming back to do the
roof estimate. She's already told me what to expect. They deal
with it one roof slope at a time. Only if that roof slope has such
extensive damage that it can't be repaired will they pay to replace
it. And then they will only pay to replace the one slope, ie section.
So, I ask what about the fact that 4 roof slopes face the street and
three have extensive damage? You'll only replace 3? Answer:
Yes. I said, but it's not going to match, it will look like hell.
Her answer: We only pay to repair or replace what's damaged,
not for cosmetics......

I talked to a neighbor who has State Farm. They had a roof that
had less damage and SF paid to replace the whole thing. And it's
not like I have cheap premiums. I was paying around $1400 a year
and they have just jacked it to $1800.

Any ideas on what to do? She did suggest that I could have a
roofer there to make the case for more extensive work. But I'm
thinking with the above approach to painting, she wouldn't listen
to reason about the work involved with painting a wall with a lot
of detail, why would she listen to a roofer?

Any experience with independent adjusters? I'm wondering if I should
try to find one by Fri to be here to try to reason with her?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

I went the independent adjuster route. Worked to my advantage.
I first had the State Farm adjuster come by. They gave me an estimate. I
then called an independant adjuster. He came by and met the State Farm
adjuster. They both inspected everything in, outside and on top of the
house. The independanrt guy got me a whole new roof, new drywall in one
damaged room and pointed out m any small areas that needed repair and
repainting. Go with the independant adjuster..... Good luck
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 7:49*pm, Chuck wrote:
On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:

[...]

repainting. Go with the independant adjuster..... Good luck- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the info!

What did the independent adjuster cost? Was it flat fee,
by the hour, by amount recovered?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:18:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping drywall,
painting?

You have the right to get your own adjuster. They usually charge a
percentage of the loss, but a good one will get you a bunch more money
that you can negotiate on your own.

We had one after a loss at work. The difference between what the
insurance offered and what the adjust got paid was hundreds of
thousands of dollars. He was like a hungry pit bull and the insurance
company was a very meaty steak.

A restaurant I know had a kitchen fire. Insurance offered $6000 to
settle, same adjuster got $35,000 for the loss.

You may not do as well, but you can get things done right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping drywall,
painting?

A lawyer practiced in subrogation law.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subrogation
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping drywall,
painting?

WW

Any ideas on what to do?

After you are done with this mess dump Allstate. They did my dad dirty on
his claim. I have had American Family insurance for more than 25 years one
residences and vehicles. Have had several claims in those years. They took
care of things better that I thought it would cost. Have $500 deductible on
house 1900 square feet and full basement, oversized 2 car garage. Live in
area that has high winds several times a year. Last year stripped the
shingles and "tar paper??" from rear roof side. Estimate was made at
$3450.00 Roofer completely redone it perfect. Cost was $2825.00. So
insurance company waved the deductible. Our policy covers full replacement
at increased costs when claim is made . Insurance cost per year is less
than $600.00 WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:18:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote in
Re
Dealing with insurance adjusters:

So, any ideas?

Get ready to take it to a lawyer. Get in line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 11:18*pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I would say that due to the work load, they have taken on a lot of
inexperienced people.
And/or they are hoping to **** you off so you'll eventually just get
the work done yourself at your own expense.

Just take note and get another insurer.

You only know how good your insurer is when you come to claim. Ask
other people what their experience was in their claim before you
choose a new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

As a matter of principle dump allstate and get a better insurance
company for the possible next time . My first rule is to discard the
ones who advertise heavily from the running (I am sure there is a
inverse proportionality between amount of advertising and quality of the
company which seems to be true for all businesses). Get referrals from
friends. We went with the hardly anyone knows Erie insurance after
dumping allstate.

One method I have used is to simply get quotes from tradesmen to do the
work and then go back to the insurance company and show them the
difference. To be fair you want to pay them for their estimation services.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping drywall,
painting?

You have the right to get your own adjuster. They usually charge a
percentage of the loss, but a good one will get you a bunch more money
that you can negotiate on your own.

We had one after a loss at work. The difference between what the
insurance offered and what the adjust got paid was hundreds of
thousands of dollars. He was like a hungry pit bull and the insurance
company was a very meaty steak.

A restaurant I know had a kitchen fire. Insurance offered $6000 to
settle, same adjuster got $35,000 for the loss.

You may not do as well, but you can get things done right.

If you have a business sense and know how big companies operate you can
accomplish a lot on your own. I always go that route first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , George
wrote:

One method I have used is to simply get quotes from tradesmen to do the
work and then go back to the insurance company and show them the
difference. To be fair you want to pay them for their estimation services.

Why? If you are thinking about using them to do the work. When I have
had insurance work to be done, I still got more than one bid. I haven't
paid for the ones I did not use. If you are doing it to just get a leg
up and have no intention of using them, then I would agree.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 8:56*am, George wrote:
On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:

[...]

difference. To be fair you want to pay them for their estimation services..- Hide quoted text -

I already did that. That is how the amount for interior
drywall repair, sealing, painting for a two story great
room, two story entry foyer including stairs, and a
bedroom ceiling went from $600 to $1100. Quotes I
gave them were for $3850 and $4000. The adjuster
just dismissed the quotes, saying it's easy to get a
contractor to do that job for $1100. As I said, their
process is to take a large wall that has 7 windows and
two doors and subtract out that area. So, the wall is
now only 30%. According to the adjuster, that is the
area that needs to be painted, that's the proper way
to do it, that is all they will pay for. I told here about
5 times that ANY painter will tell you that to go around those
windows and doors ADDS to the cost instead of
reducing it. If the windows/doors were not there, you
could just roll the wall in no time and the difference in
paint cost is not substantial. It's the labor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 19, 7:18*pm, "
wrote:

Any ideas on what to do?

Stop attempting to negotiate. Contact your state insurance
commission. Be prepared to divulge the name of your insurer. Keep
detailed records of all your contacts.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 11:11*am, " wrote:
wrote:
Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping drywall,
painting?

* And then they will only pay to replace the one slope, ie section.

So, I ask what about the fact that 4 roof slopes face the street and
three have extensive damage? * You'll only replace 3? *Answer:
Yes. *I said, but it's not going to match, it will look like hell.
Her answer: *We only pay to repair or replace what's damaged,
not for cosmetics......

Any experience with independent adjusters? *I'm *wondering if I should
try to find one by Fri to be here to try to reason with her?

Sounds as if she probably is in the ballpark, and you're looking to get
something for nothing.

I suppose if you got in a fender bender, you would want the entire car
replaced. *Insurance companies only replace what is damaged.

Quit trying to get a handout, and get a job.

Get your head out of your ass and go **** yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 20, 11:30*am, "TomR" wrote:
[...]

He has a job, and he wisely uses some of the money that he earns to purchase
insurance coverage for the property that he owns. *All he is doing is asking
the insurance company to do their job, do what he pays his insurance
premiums for, and make him whole by covering the reasonable costs that he
will incur to repair the damage that was caused by the covered hazard (the
storm).- Hide quoted text -

Thank you. That's exactly how I saw it. Apparently in krw's simple
mind, he agrees that the correct way to figure out painting costs
is to take the area of a wall, then subtract the area of the 7 windows
and
2 doors. Then multiply the small area left by the cheapest per square
foot painting cost, like a builder would pay to have wide open walls
sprayed white, with no flooring, etc in to even worry about. Then
say it costs very little, because there is little wall area left.
Those windows and doors add $$$ because of all the
cutting in that's involved. If it was just an open wall, you
could roll it in minutes and the cost of labor exceeds the
cost of the paint saved. That's how you lowball $600 or $1100
for a job that should be several times that. How many trips
for example does it take to do this job because stuff has to
be done in sequence:

Re-tape drywall, 3 coats of mud
Apply stainkiller
Two coats of paint

krw as usual is an obnoxious fool
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I think so too. I have a similarly sized space but not as high...one long
side is 8', the other 12', end walls slope. Many windows too but more like
25-35%. It needs some retaping, texturing and painting. As soon as I do a
bit of construction it will be done; price my guy gave me is $600.

BTW, in the part I snipped you mentioned the need to cut in around can
lights; some reason the trim rings can't be removed?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:18:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Take your goddamned capitalist ass out of my country. You should be beaten to death.
Exterminate the christian government. FBI is pure ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:56:37 -0400, George
wrote:

On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

Generally you are best to deal with a broker. They will handle at
least 3 different companies (at least in Canada a broker MUST
represent at least 3 markets) and they can shop you for the best deal,
and they will know which companies are best to deal with - and they
can exert pressure on the companies on your behalf much more
effectively Igenerally) than you can. They have pull because they may
have a thousand customers with that company, and if the company
doesn't pull their weight, when renewal time comes around they may not
get a chance at the business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:30:27 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

[...]

In the case of a car, the insurance co pays the body repairman to
paint what needs to be painted to make it match - and SOME colours of
some paints are "whole job", some you can do a "full panel" without
blending, and some you can patch a panel.

Personally I do NOT allow any blending. Full panel - no blend, or
patch the panel - preferably full panel. Today's paints don't fade
much, so even on a 17 year old vehicle a good match is not difficult
at all on an OEM finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/20/2013 7:42 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:56:37 -0400, George
wrote:

On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM,
wrote:
[...]

One feature of allstate is that they only sell through their own agents
who only represent them. We used to have allstate and I got really tired
of asking for policy reviews which resulted in them lowering the rates a
trivial amount only to receive a letter 2 months later informing about a
rate increase. allstate lost lots of business (one reason why they air a
commercial telling you how good they are every 10 minutes). My rule is
the more you spend telling me how good you are the worse you really are.

A friend mentioned Erie. Typically it is only available through agents
that handle multiple lines. The agent noted Erie is very particular
about who they insure. He said if Erie didn't accept us he would need to
use other insurers such as progressive (who also advertises every 10
minutes) and pay a lot more.

We have had Erie for 5 years and they haven't raised our rates. I
happened to get into an insurance discussion yesterday and the person
described how a toilet supply line failed on the 2nd floor while they
were away and the water caused extensive damage. They mentioned they
had Erie who quickly responded and did not chisel like allstate and
others would have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

get a chance at the business.- Hide quoted text -

All good points. I should have shopped around starting a
few years ago when Allstate started really jacking up the
rate. But a big part of the rate problem here is that I'm
just a few miles from the NJ shore and all the insurance
companies have been jacking up rates and deductibles.
I got very lucky in that Sandy lost steam and was downgraded
from a hurricane just minutes before it made shore. If it had
still been a hurricane, I wouldn't be collecting anything
because then a 5% hurricane deductible would apply....

Basic rule. The more a company tells us how good they are the worse they
really are. There is a reason allstate airs commercials every 10
minutes. My basic rule is to do business with companies that simply are
good and don't need to spend a fortune telling me how good they are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

others would have.- Hide quoted text -

I looked at the breakdown more closely and here's some more
data points on Allstate's process. First, for all the water damaged
walls and ceilings, they are paying for ONE COAT of paint, plus
$45 for stainblocker. Anyone think that one coat gives an
acceptable result or is the way it should be done?

One ceiling is in a bedroom, 13 x 11.5 ft. To paint the ceiling,
they cost it out at $55. WTF? A gallon of decent paint alone is $35.

For the huge two story great room, 20 x 18, they say the walls and
ceiling can be painted for $400.

Unbelievable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:11:50 -0400, "

[...]

I see HomoGay is impersonating me again. He *loves* me, but he's not
my type.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:15:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 20, 11:30*am, "TomR" wrote:
[...]

Idiot. It's HomoGay playing his childish games.

2 doors. Then multiply the small area left by the cheapest per square
foot painting cost, like a builder would pay to have wide open walls
sprayed white, with no flooring, etc in to even worry about. Then
say it costs very little, because there is little wall area left.
Those windows and doors add $$$ because of all the
cutting in that's involved. If it was just an open wall, you
could roll it in minutes and the cost of labor exceeds the
cost of the paint saved. That's how you lowball $600 or $1100
for a job that should be several times that. How many trips
for example does it take to do this job because stuff has to
be done in sequence:

Re-tape drywall, 3 coats of mud
Apply stainkiller
Two coats of paint

krw as usual is an obnoxious fool

Good God, you're dense, Trader!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:05:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 20, 11:11*am, " wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Trader, do pull your head out of your ass some day and take a breath.
The world doesn't really stink as bad as New Jersey.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 19:49:09 -0400, Chuck wrote:

Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping drywall,

This is how you deal with insurance adjusters, and always get your way:
http://truth-media.info/wp-content/u...7/gunman_1.jpg

It works every time!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

can't wait for the 'health insurance' claims to start being refuted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 2:20*pm, Jimmy Volleyball wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:04:31 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy

wrote:

wrote:

On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:
[...]

I used to be an insurance adjuster. Most people never read the
policy to see what they are buying. So then they bitch and whine
when the find out what they bought. That's the first thing. Read
the damn policy BEFORE buy it. You have a 30 day grace period to
do that. Use it! Ask questions about things you don't understand.
Having said that, here is how to give the adjuster nightmares.
You can get all the estimates you want but that is not going to
have any effect on them. They are trained, and trained very well,
to tune out what the industry calls "third party claimants". So
do this. First, protect the property as well as you can from
further damage. Then call the adjuster. When they come out, give
them free run of the place and let them do their job. Then when
they present their offer to you, demand that they provide you
with the name, or names, of the skilled technicians the adjuster
believes will honor their estimate. If they refuse to do that, go
right straight to your state insurance commissioner and register ...

I did exactly that with the adjuster. She claims sheetrock
repair, stain sealing, painting can be done for $1100. I have
quotes from 4 painters from $2800 to $4000. The $1100
is just so totally out of whack for the NJ/NYC area in
particular, that it's a joke. So, I said to her, fine, give me
the names of a couple painters who will do it for $1100
and I'll call them. She says Allstate doesn't do that, but
they know that it can be done for the $1100..... After
insisting for two days that they will only pay for one coat,
I now have her conceeding to do two coats and the
amount is up to ~$1800. Still low, but better.

How about this. They had $74 for replacement of a powered
roof fan. Upon looking closer, I see it actually says it's for
the "cover only". So, I'm like, they don't sell just the replacement
top part for a roof fan. Especially not for a 25 year old one.
She insists that yes they do.... Just ask your roofer. Fortunately
the roofer was just getting in his truck. So I yell, down to him...
Answer: They don't exist. She did then go redo it and I think
there is like $250 in there for it now. But it justs makes you
wonder what experience they really have.....

Also, the most extensive water damage was to a section
of cathedral ceiling. The worst shingle damage was also
to the very peak of that ceiling. The cathedral ceiling has
not been opened to verify that it's dried out. For all I know,
it could still be soaked. So, I proposed that they pay for
pulling a couple sheets of plywood as part of the re-roof to
verify that it's dry and OK. She says it's pefectly fine for
plywood to get wet, they even do it in new construction.
I tell here, yes, but that's without insulation underneath and
drywall ceiling the cavity. It could be full of water and could
mold. She says that just doesn't happen......

In retrospect, the right thing to do would have been to
open the drywall from the inside across at least one
section so that it could dry out quickly, etc. Then they
would be paying for that.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimmy Volleyball wrote:
On 3/19/2013 7:18 PM, wrote:
Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping
drywall, painting?

I used to be an insurance adjuster. Most people never read the
policy to see what they are buying. . . . . ,

. . . . Then call the adjuster. When they come out, give
them free run of the place and let them do their job. Then when
they present their offer to you, demand that they provide you
with the name, or names, of the skilled technicians the adjuster
believes will honor their estimate. If they refuse to do that, go
right straight to your state insurance commissioner and register
a complaint. When you demand the names of people that will honor
the adjuster's estimate and you get the names and subsequently
use them, they can go back to the adjuster for supplemental
funding for things the adjuster missed and as the adjuster trust
them enough to give out their names, the supplemental will
generally be a breeze. . . . ,

. . . . . There are
such things as adjusters that work for your side. You might want
to discuss your claim with one.

Interesting information, especially about asking for the name or names of
skilled technicians that the adjuster believes will honor the adjuster's
estimate.

Could you say a little more about the "public adjuster" idea? That's
different than hiring an attorney. Do you think that public adjusters who
represent the policyholder are a good idea? -- sometimes, always, never?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 13:20:09 -0500, Jimmy Volleyball
wrote:

I used to be an insurance adjuster. Most people never read the
policy to see what they are buying. So then they bitch and whine
when the find out what they bought. That's the first thing. Read
the damn policy BEFORE buy it.

Yes
Most of us don't understand all of the fine print.

Then call the adjuster. When they come out, give
them free run of the place and let them do their job. Then when
they present their offer to you, demand that they provide you
with the name, or names, of the skilled technicians the adjuster
believes will honor their estimate. If they refuse to do that, go
right straight to your state insurance commissioner and register
a complaint.

What about the companies that advertise they will get your home or
auto repaired properly? I assume they have contractors that will work
with them at the prices they offer.

Seems too easy to just say "go ahead, make it right and Ill be happy"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:30:10 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Could you say a little more about the "public adjuster" idea? That's
different than hiring an attorney. Do you think that public adjusters who
represent the policyholder are a good idea? -- sometimes, always, never?

I had three experiences where insurance claims were involved. All
three were fire damage, on residential, two industrial.

Case #1 Public adjuster got much more done than the insurance
adjuster got. Homeowner also paid for some extra work and upgrades
at the time.

Case #2. The insurance company paid the maximum of the policy so an
adjuster would get no more. Why pay an adjuster for that?

Case #3 Adjuster was able to collect on damages that we would not
even think about. This was a payout of over a million dollars. Well
worth the 10% fee.

Oh, fees are negotiable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 11:21*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

People should ALWAYS BUY REPLACEMENT INSURANCE!

Not the depreciated value where the homowner ONLY gets paid for the
cost of stuff from goodwill........

This 5 year old sofa was 700 bucks new now valued at 100 bucks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I used to be an insurance adjuster. Most people never read the
policy to see what they are buying. So then they bitch and whine
when the find out what they bought. That's the first thing. Read
the damn policy BEFORE buy it.

Yes
Most of us don't understand all of the fine print.

Another reason to use a good broker. Being independent of the
insurance companies, and working for YOU, not the insurance company,
they can help you be sure you are getting the insurance you need, and
understand your coverage.
Yes, there are useless brokers out there, but on the whole you are
generally farther ahead with a broker than withan agent. ( or a
direct-sale over-the-phone company)

Then call the adjuster. When they come out, give
them free run of the place and let them do their job. Then when
they present their offer to you, demand that they provide you
with the name, or names, of the skilled technicians the adjuster
believes will honor their estimate. If they refuse to do that, go
right straight to your state insurance commissioner and register
a complaint.

What about the companies that advertise they will get your home or
auto repaired properly? I assume they have contractors that will work
with them at the prices they offer.

Seems too easy to just say "go ahead, make it right and Ill be happy"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:38:02 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

[...]

If you are REALLY lucky.

Replacement cost is only a few bucks more - raise your deductible by
$50 or $100 and you come out ahead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 11:38*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

This 5 year old sofa was 700 bucks new now valued at 100 bucks- Hide quoted text -

I have replacement coverage. But they still screw you.
Here's another trick. On the roof sections that they will
pay to replace, they won't pay for ice daming material
along the lower sections. Why? Well, the house does
not have it now, so they say it's an "upgrade". But both
I and the roofer stand there and tell the adjuster it's
mandated by code. Her response, you're policy doesn't
have a "to code" provision. That's an increased premium
over replacement coverage. WTF? You can't replace
the roof and not do it to code, so why shouldn't they pay?

Ultimately that's one thing I'm going to fight them on
more, but waiting until I figure out how to proceed.

As for the sofa, I had an older sofa that was in the loft
that got some water damage on it. It's not totally wrecked,
but it has spots that won't come out. She gave me $200
for it.