Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dealing with insurance adjusters

On Mar 22, 11:38*pm, bob haller wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:21*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:30:10 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Could you say a little more about the "public adjuster" idea? *That's
different than hiring an attorney. *Do you think that public adjusters who
represent the policyholder are a good idea? -- sometimes, always, never?

I had three experiences where insurance claims were involved. *All
three were fire damage, on residential, two industrial.

Case #1 *Public adjuster got much more done than the insurance
adjuster got. * Homeowner also paid for some extra work and upgrades
at the time.

Case #2. *The insurance company paid the maximum of the policy so an
adjuster would get no more. *Why pay an adjuster for that?

Case #3 *Adjuster was able to collect on damages that we would not
even think about. *This was a payout of over a million dollars. Well
worth the 10% fee.

Oh, fees are negotiable.

People should ALWAYS BUY REPLACEMENT INSURANCE!

Not the depreciated value where the homowner ONLY gets paid for the
cost of stuff from goodwill........

This 5 year old sofa was 700 bucks new now valued at 100 bucks- Hide quoted text -

I have replacement coverage. But they still screw you.
Here's another trick. On the roof sections that they will
pay to replace, they won't pay for ice daming material
along the lower sections. Why? Well, the house does
not have it now, so they say it's an "upgrade". But both
I and the roofer stand there and tell the adjuster it's
mandated by code. Her response, you're policy doesn't
have a "to code" provision. That's an increased premium
over replacement coverage. WTF? You can't replace
the roof and not do it to code, so why shouldn't they pay?

Ultimately that's one thing I'm going to fight them on
more, but waiting until I figure out how to proceed.

As for the sofa, I had an older sofa that was in the loft
that got some water damage on it. It's not totally wrecked,
but it has spots that won't come out. She gave me $200
for it.