Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Dealing with insurance adjusters

On 3/19/2013 10:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 16:18:50 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Any experiences with how to deal with insurance adjusters for
roof damage and interior water damage repairs, eg re-taping drywall,
painting?

You have the right to get your own adjuster. They usually charge a
percentage of the loss, but a good one will get you a bunch more money
that you can negotiate on your own.

We had one after a loss at work. The difference between what the
insurance offered and what the adjust got paid was hundreds of
thousands of dollars. He was like a hungry pit bull and the insurance
company was a very meaty steak.

A restaurant I know had a kitchen fire. Insurance offered $6000 to
settle, same adjuster got $35,000 for the loss.

You may not do as well, but you can get things done right.

If you have a business sense and know how big companies operate you can
accomplish a lot on your own. I always go that route first.