Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dealing with insurance adjusters

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:38:02 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Mar 22, 11:21*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:30:10 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Could you say a little more about the "public adjuster" idea? *That's
different than hiring an attorney. *Do you think that public adjusters who
represent the policyholder are a good idea? -- sometimes, always, never?

I had three experiences where insurance claims were involved. *All
three were fire damage, on residential, two industrial.

Case #1 *Public adjuster got much more done than the insurance
adjuster got. * Homeowner also paid for some extra work and upgrades
at the time.

Case #2. *The insurance company paid the maximum of the policy so an
adjuster would get no more. *Why pay an adjuster for that?

Case #3 *Adjuster was able to collect on damages that we would not
even think about. *This was a payout of over a million dollars. Well
worth the 10% fee.

Oh, fees are negotiable.

People should ALWAYS BUY REPLACEMENT INSURANCE!

Not the depreciated value where the homowner ONLY gets paid for the
cost of stuff from goodwill........

This 5 year old sofa was 700 bucks new now valued at 100 bucks.

If you are REALLY lucky.

Replacement cost is only a few bucks more - raise your deductible by
$50 or $100 and you come out ahead.