Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing a dishwasher - recommendations good/bad?

I've given up trying to repair my 12 year old dishwasher, and will be
replacing it ASAP. I would like to have stainless steel inside, with a
"regular" (not stainless) outside. Does anyone have any recommendations
for dishwashers they are pleased with? More importantly, are there any
I should avoid? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hilary

Posted to alt.home.repair

In one home we had the Whirlpool Gold series--very very quiet, cleaned
well, plastic tub and nothing negative to report in six years.

Before that in another house we had GE Profile--very very quiet,
cleaned well, plastic tub and nothing negative to report in five years.

Whatever you do, spend an extra $200 and get the top of line quiet
model with a delayed start. I have been happy with the plastic tubs,
can't rust, dent, chip, etc and they are inherently more sound
absorbing.

wrote:
I've given up trying to repair my 12 year old dishwasher, and will be
replacing it ASAP. I would like to have stainless steel inside, with a
"regular" (not stainless) outside. Does anyone have any recommendations
for dishwashers they are pleased with? More importantly, are there any
I should avoid? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hilary

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

Recommendation: Bad: Maytag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've given up trying to repair my 12 year old dishwasher, and will be
replacing it ASAP. I would like to have stainless steel inside, with a
"regular" (not stainless) outside. Does anyone have any recommendations
for dishwashers they are pleased with? More importantly, are there any
I should avoid? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hilary

Kitchen Aid is my choice. Next is Whirlpool, (they make some Kenmore models
also)

Maytag used to be good, but I've been hearing some bad things about them
recently. My local dealer no longer stocks Bosch because of too many
service calls, but they do wash well.

You can get a lot of opinions at rec.food.equipment

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bosch are super quiet wash great BUT BREAK TOO OFTEN and parts cost a
fortune interior stainless, consumer reports they are number one for
needing repairs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/06 11:00 pm Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Kitchen Aid is my choice. Next is Whirlpool, (they make some Kenmore models
also)

But the "TurboZone" feature on some Kenmore models (don't know whether
it lives up to the claims made for it) doesn't seem to have an
equivalent in any other brand.

Maytag used to be good, but I've been hearing some bad things about them
recently. . . .

But now that Whirlpool owns Maytag, . . . ?

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

I second the vote for Kitchen-Aid as well as Whirlpool. The insulation
and panel that contact the floor in the front suppress most of the
noise.
Posted to alt.home.repair

We just replaced our 15 year old Kitchenaid with a Kenmore because it
was rated a Best Buy in Consumer Reports. Check our CR for their
ratings and recommendations.
Ed

wrote:
I've given up trying to repair my 12 year old dishwasher, and will be
replacing it ASAP. I would like to have stainless steel inside, with a
"regular" (not stainless) outside. Does anyone have any recommendations
for dishwashers they are pleased with? More importantly, are there any
I should avoid? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hilary

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
I find the plastic "inside" is "gud enuf." SS costs quite a bit more.

All plastic or SS racks would be a good idea, however.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've given up trying to repair my 12 year old dishwasher, and will be
replacing it ASAP. I would like to have stainless steel inside, with a
"regular" (not stainless) outside. Does anyone have any recommendations
for dishwashers they are pleased with? More importantly, are there any
I should avoid? Thanks for any suggestions.

Hilary

There was an 8 year old stainless steel tub Kitchenaid dishwasher in
the house when we bought it, and it soldiered on for 10 more years. The
plastic tub Kenmore only lasted for 11, and the racks had lots of
damage and bent bits early on. I don't remember the Kitchenaid having
stainless racks, but they were still in excellent condition when the
unit died. Can you really get stainless racks for a dishwasher? That
sounds like a great idea.

Hilary

Posted to alt.home.repair

There was an 8 year old stainless steel tub Kitchenaid dishwasher in
the house when we bought it, and it soldiered on for 10 more years.

Did it last 20 years BECAUSE of the SS tub?

The cost savings of the plastic tub are such that when there is excessive
wear and tear on the mechanicals it's cost effective to just get a new
machine rather than repair the old machine.

The
plastic tub Kenmore only lasted for 11, and the racks had lots of
damage and bent bits early on.

All the tub does is either LEAK or not LEAK. The only leak I ever had was
with an "enamel" tub. They were definitely bad news.

I don't remember the Kitchenaid having
stainless racks, but they were still in excellent condition when the
unit died. Can you really get stainless racks for a dishwasher? That
sounds like a great idea.

Don't know. I think top of the line racks is now solid plactic. The
plastic covered steel definitely is a PITA.

Hilary

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

There was an 8 year old stainless steel tub Kitchenaid dishwasher in
the house when we bought it, and it soldiered on for 10 more years.

Did it last 20 years BECAUSE of the SS tub?

The cost savings of the plastic tub are such that when there is excessive
wear and tear on the mechanicals it's cost effective to just get a new
machine rather than repair the old machine.

Often, the better tub goes hand in hand with better mechanicals. While a
$900 machine does not always last twice that of a $450 machine, you do
generally get better performance and more (sometimes useless) features.

The ideal machine would have everything wear out the same day. Right now, I
have a car that runs very well, but after 15 years, other stuff is all going
bad. I just hate to get rid of it with a good drive train, good tires, but
it is not worth repairing all the other stuff. If I spent $1500 for repairs,
it would have a book value of $850.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a four-year-old Bosch dishwasher that has worked out extremely
well (no problems to report thus far). I opted for this particular
brand for a couple of reasons. In practical terms, it was one of only
I believe three makes that were (then) compatible with the Heartland
line of appliances and since I wanted the door panel to match the
other kitchen appliances, this effectively narrowed my choices to
either Bosch, Miele and I think KitchenAid.

Next, I wanted an energy and water efficient model and this Bosch
certainly fits the bill. I also appreciate the fact that, like the
Miele, it's very quiet.

A stainless steel tub was actually a key selling feature for me. The
obvious reasons are that it's easy to keep clean and that it won't
stain or discolour like plastic (this could be an important
consideration if you happen to live in an area that has hard
water/high mineral content). But there's one other notable benefit --
it permits dishes to be dried by way of "condensation drying" as
opposed to "air drying". That means there's no exposed heating
element inside the tub and it won't vent hot steam into the kitchen
(thus adding to your A/C load). It's also a little more sanitary in
the sense that it's not sucking (relatively) dirty room air through
the dishwasher in the process of performing this task.

Lastly, I bought this Bosch though Sears and it was heavily marked
down in a clearance sale. As it turns out, it was a lot less
expensive than the other two alternatives and about the same price as
a comparable no-panel Kenmore.

Cheers,
Paul

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 10:07:17 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

I find the plastic "inside" is "gud enuf." SS costs quite a bit more.

All plastic or SS racks would be a good idea, however.

Posted to alt.home.repair

it permits dishes to be dried by way of "condensation drying" as
opposed to "air drying". That means there's no exposed heating
element inside the tub and it won't vent hot steam into the kitchen
(thus adding to your A/C load).

I haven't heard of "condensation drying."

I ASSume it means that "they" somehow cool the tub/shell and the warm dishes
will evaporate the water onto the shell where the moisture will just go into
the "well."

I suppose this scheme could be made to work with a plastic interior but I
haven't seen it featured in anything I ever looked at.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi John,

You're close, however there's no active cooling involved; it's
strictly passive. Here's one explanation I found on the web:

"Unlike other drying systems that use unclean air from the kitchen’s
back wall, Bosch uses the residual heat from the warm water inside its
tub. A sanitizing temperature of 161°F leaves residual heat in the
tub, creating condensation along the cooler wall. The condensation is
then drained so you’ll never have to release steam into the kitchen."

Source:
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/u.../?objectID=377

The process works surprisingly well, although the drying cycle does
require between twenty to thirty minutes to do its job and some water
can remain on plastic items. BTW, Miele uses this same technique, as
does Thermador (the latter appears to be a rebranded Bosch, at least
as far as I can tell). All three have stainless steel interiors and
maybe this is necessitated by the high operating temperatures that are
required for this method to work.

Cheers,
Paul

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:31:39 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

I haven't heard of "condensation drying."

I ASSume it means that "they" somehow cool the tub/shell and the warm dishes
will evaporate the water onto the shell where the moisture will just go into
the "well."

I suppose this scheme could be made to work with a plastic interior but I
haven't seen it featured in anything I ever looked at.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I ASSume it means that "they" somehow cool the tub/shell and the warm

dishes
will evaporate the water onto the shell where the moisture will just go

into
the "well."

I suppose this scheme could be made to work with a plastic interior but I
haven't seen it featured in anything I ever looked at.

Well, 160F water temperature is definitely on the really, really HOT side.
OTOH your basic $10 coffee maker (plastic) clearly can take water that hot
indefinitely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Gilmer wrote:
I ASSume it means that "they" somehow cool the tub/shell and the warm

dishes

will evaporate the water onto the shell where the moisture will just go

into

the "well."

I suppose this scheme could be made to work with a plastic interior but I
haven't seen it featured in anything I ever looked at.

Well, 160F water temperature is definitely on the really, really HOT side.
OTOH your basic $10 coffee maker (plastic) clearly can take water that hot
indefinitely.

The parts that are plastic AND get exposed to the 160F temps are
specially selected to take the heat. That's basically the tube from the
heater to the top of the basket and the spray nozzle system. The pot
itself is almost always glass.

Iced Tea makers are basically the same product but they use a plastic
pot. The instructions are quite clear, fill pot with ice or the pot
will MELT!!!

Heated drying in a plastic interior dishwasher gets temps up this high
and the liner and the plastic covered wire racks are fine with the heat,
although they will discolor and warp over time.